If you had to choose between a 6505 and a dual rec..

Mesa Mark series are not SLO-based, AFAIK.

Mesa Marks have been around for waaay longer than the SLO.

The SLO 100 was made from Mike Soldano's mods he used to do on the Mark III, the first true high gain amp, the first cascading stage amp to be exact, allowing users to get most of their gain from the preamp. Later versions of the Mark series picked up a lot of similarities as Randall Smith took some ideas from Mike. Ironicly, Randall Smith started the same way, modding old Fender Princetons.

MVA801 Beat me too it.

Which would you choose? 5150/6505 or the Dual Rectifier 2 channel. i'm coming into some money pretty soon, and i'm getting myself a new rig. i'll be mostly playing....The Black Dahlia Murder. Hence my username since it's my favorite band lol. I don't care about the cleans, i just need to know which one is better for sheer all-out brutality. i'll be playing it through a rectifier 412, with a ts9 or something like that.

Also, first post.

EDIT: and my guitar is an Ibanez RG550 with an EMG 81 for a bridge pickup.

...i would choose the 6534+ !

5150 because it's much cheaper and there is no big difference in their quality.
If i had to pay 1000 euros more,then there must be a 1000 difference in quality.
But personally i would buy something different.The latest recording i've done is with a peavey 3120
1080 for best quality

Last edited by a moderator:
For what reasons would you go for the mk2 rather than the other ?

He's after Dahlia tone, which is the 6505+.

Compared to the original it has a cleaner, more aggressive sound and lends itself to working with a wider array of music, usually. The original is very warm and compressed, but tends to work better on melodic material than lots of fast chuggedy chuggedy.

my best recorded sound i ever got was a Jackson Kevin Bond with a Blackout 2 metal pickup split to a Engl fireball 60 into greenbacks and a EVH 5150 into greenbacks. damn that was so metal, almost needed no post. mind you the tuning was drop C#. god i miss that setup actually, but tone is subjective. would like to blend my 6505+ with either a fireball again or some kind of Orange amp.
also i would like a Mark V :p

Compared to the original it has a cleaner, more aggressive sound and lends itself to working with a wider array of music, usually. The original is very warm and compressed, but tends to work better on melodic material than lots of fast chuggedy chuggedy.

I couldn't disagree more. Over the years, I've had the pleasure of hearing a wide variety of stock and modded metal amps in mix shootouts from a reliable source, and with the possible exception of the Fortin Natas, the 5150 is ALWAYS the tightest, most aggressive amp in the lineup. Saying the original 5150 isnt a good chugging amp is ridiculous, with an 808 in front, the 5150 is possibly metal's greatest chugging amp ever.

I couldn't disagree more. Over the years, I've had the pleasure of hearing a wide variety of stock and modded metal amps in mix shootouts from a reliable source, and with the possible exception of the Fortin Natas, the 5150 is ALWAYS the tightest, most aggressive amp in the lineup. Saying the original 5150 isnt a good chugging amp is ridiculous, with an 808 in front, the 5150 is possibly metal's greatest chugging amp ever.

I think you're reading too much in. He's saying the mkII is tighter than the mkI which it is. It also has less gain and is lighter in the bottom. The mkII doesn't really benefit from a TS IMHO as it's already stupidly tight. They're both great amps and both worth owning.

Personally I think either incarnation of the 5150 is ideal for the Op's need. They sound great, they're incredibly reliable and they are idiot proof to dial in. The 2 versions just sound a little difference.

The recto has a much better clean than the 6505/5150. Hell it's not even a clean channel in the peavey it's just rythm with no gain so it sounds flat, liveless and shit

The clean channel on most of the 2 channels I've owned was pretty shitty too. The 3 channels are better, but still nothing to write home about.

He's after Dahlia tone, which is the 6505+.

I'm not sure I would say the 6505+ is more aggressive, even in the slightest. Maybe our definition of aggressive is different... but every single 6505+ and 5150 II I've owned was significantly smoother (and warmer) than all the 5150s and 6505s I've owned (which is A LOT); not necessarily what I'd call more aggressive... nor tighter. The 6505+ would not be my first choice at all between the two for "fast chuggedy chuggedy," whereas the original would be - The 6505+/5150 II lends itself much better to the melodic stuff than the original does, because of it's much more smooth nature... :err:

I'm not sure I would say the 6505+ is more aggressive, even in the slightest. Maybe our definition of aggressive is different... but every single 6505+ and 5150 II I've owned was significantly smoother (and warmer) than all the 5150s and 6505s I've owned (which is A LOT); not necessarily what I'd call more aggressive... nor tighter. The 6505+ would not be my first choice at all between the two for "fast chuggedy chuggedy," whereas the original would be - The 6505+/5150 II lends itself much better to the melodic stuff than the original does, because of it's much more smooth nature... :err:

Fantastic, that's exactly what I was trying to say. They chopped some low end and gain at one part of the circuit yes, but they also significantly cut the highs, which I find clouds the low mids making it not quite as tight. This also ruins the great mk1 5150 openness and clarity, which I've yet to find in any other amp really, maybe save for the Natas, as previously stated.

The SLO 100 was made from Mike Soldano's mods he used to do on the Mark III, the first true high gain amp, the first cascading stage amp to be exact, allowing users to get most of their gain from the preamp. Later versions of the Mark series picked up a lot of similarities as Randall Smith took some ideas from Mike. Ironicly, Randall Smith started the same way, modding old Fender Princetons.

MVA801 Beat me too it.
My bad, I always thought the SLO was some sort of Modded JCM800 or Plexi circuitry. I guess I was wrong...

5150 because it's much cheaper and there is no big difference in their quality.
If i had to pay 1000 euros more,then there must be a 1000 difference in quality.
But personally i would buy something different.The latest recording i've done is with a peavey 3120
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdu0KtyOv34 1080 for best quality

Great recordin dude...Thats how it should sound if you're recommending an amp..

Can you make a 6505 sound like a Dual Rec? Or a Dual rec like a 6505?

no not rly. The 6505 has nastier mids even unboosted, and clean highs and lows. The Recto has smoother mids, and highs and lows that need to be tastefully filtered lest they become nasty.

no not rly. The 6505 has nastier mids even unboosted, and clean highs and lows. The Recto has smoother mids, and highs and lows that need to be tastefully filtered lest they become nasty.

what exactly do you mean by "nasty" mids?

sorry for noob but this will be my first tube amp, and sometimes when people are describing tone i don't understand

what exactly do you mean by "nasty" mids?

sorry for noob but this will be my first tube amp, and sometimes when people are describing tone i don't understand

I don't know how to describe it other than that. Guess I can show a clip.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8838613/Mago Reamp.mp3
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8838613/Rose of Sharyn b.mp3

You can hear what I mean about the nastiness in the mids on palm mutes or the harder hit chords. It gives the rhythms a more vocal and snarling sound, and helps them to stand out in a mix.