Which PT Album?

mysweetdeath

Easy Mac > Difficult Mac
Sep 6, 2003
Mulberry, Florida
I've been wanting to get into PT for a while now. I'm considering buying a PT album as soon as I get my hands on Orchid. So, which album should I start with?

I think a good one to start with would be Lightbulb Sun, or In Absentia, because it is a little more heavy. In Absentia is great, Id go with that one, especially if this is your first PT album.

I've been listening to "samples" on their website... From what I've heard so far I like Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun. I haven't listened to anything from In Absentia yet, but I'll check it out.

I'd also suggest "Lightbulb Sun" or "In Absentia". If you want to download some songs before I'd vote for:

The sound of muzak
Gravity eyelids
(from "In Absentia")

Hatesong
Russia on ice
(from "Lightbulb Sun")

Have fun!

Lightbulb Sun has some of my favorite songs of all time

"How is Your Life Today?"
"Russia on Ice"

all great songs.

Damn, PT are an awesome example of progression!! From album to album you hear them grow and change.

*Sunday of Life is full of short spacey songs and has the awesome Radioactive Toy.
*Up the Downstair is just genius. When you get to Small Fish and Burning Sky youll just feel the Floyd influence slapping you in the face. And Fadeaway, one of my top faves from them, is just a beautiful beautiful beautiful beau... song.
*Sky Moves Sideways is just an all out assualt on your psyche. That shit blows my mind every time I hear it. The solos on this album just carry you to space.(which most of the lyrics are about in this album)All the damn songs are just excellent. The title track was like an awakening for me.
*Signify is their album when you see them transforming their style into more of a pop sound while holding on to their prog rock and 70s psych roots. Awesome interludes play a big part in this album.
*Stupid Dream has be heard along with LBS. There is no other way to experience these albums. Together theyll just dominate your stereo for months. Vocal harmonies, slide guitar!!, awesome lyrics, exceptional synths and just about the best fuckin songwriting youll ever here. While the songs may seem cheerful at moments they can also give off just about the most depressing vibes you could ever imagine. Every song is just beautiful. Now they have meshed pop, psych, and prog rock in every song. I just love hearing the work on these albums.
*In Absentia moves along towards a heavier side of PT. While it has become very popular with PT fans I don't see it reaching the same level as the two albums before it. Cool pop songs once again and an extremely dark atmosphere to go along with it.

Picture this. Each album is like one song and each of those songs together as one make an album. Kinda like the album of PT's musical life you could say. Their progression over time is like moving through an album. They all just flow so perfectly from one song to the next and one album to the next. I'd say start at On the sunday of Life and just keep going forward. You won't be disappointed. They are my second fave band.

I had to get my LBS and Stupid Dream off ebay. But they did rerelease Sky Moves Sideways!!! Get it off the official PT merch place. Burning Shed. I damn near come to tears when I hear SD and LBS and know how hard they are to find yet so damn perfect and accessible to the common music fan.

Demonspell said:
All of them...seriously, I'd recommend starting with In Absentia and then working backwards. Unfortunately, some of their albums are hard to find...when will Lava stop sitting on the SD and LS reissues?
I don't think they are sitting on those re-releases.
They just re issued Sky Moves Sideways, and Signify this year.

Gaz...those rereleases were handled by a different label, though it may be part of PT's schedule to get the earlier albums reintroduced first. I agree with Dreaming Of Ur's comment about the catalogue reading like one long album, some of their albums flow like one gigantic epic, especially Signify and SMS...

Demonspell said:
Gaz...those rereleases were handled by a different label, though it may be part of PT's schedule to get the earlier albums reintroduced first. I agree with Dreaming Of Ur's comment about the catalogue reading like one long album, some of their albums flow like one gigantic epic, especially Signify and SMS...
s
Yes indeed. They were distributed by Sanpper records and not on the two different labels that released SMS and Signify. I reckon Delerium released the first 3 and Signify was by Ark. In Absentia was a little to grim to me for some strange reason. I can listen to black metal and death metal but In Absentia just terrifies me. Wedding Nails just kicks my ass so hard.

Well, if you can find Lightbulb Sun or Stupid Dream get those, but they're both out of print and very hard to find. Unfortunately, in my opinion, nothing older than Stupid Dream is worth listening to at all, but a lot of people like SIGNIFY? So I guess try that one or In Absentia.

I got into them through Signify.. actually, I was in Mellotronen in stockholm. Mikael was behind the counter, so I asked him about PT and so.. I guess he likes talking about bands he love! Anyway, he went off to dig up a bunch and I asked him which one he thought I should get, and I ended up with Signify. Which still owns me more than any other PT albums does. Still need to get Sky Moves Sideways, Up The Downstair and Sunday of Life, though :)

wankerness said:
Well, if you can find Lightbulb Sun or Stupid Dream get those, but they're both out of print and very hard to find. Unfortunately, in my opinion, nothing older than Stupid Dream is worth listening to at all, but a lot of people like SIGNIFY? So I guess try that one or In Absentia.

Totally ignore that advice. SMS is fuckin epic prog/psych. I don't think it gets much better then that. Along with lyrics that are just flat out unique. If you love improv buy this one first or Metanoia. Everything from PT is worth buying while we are ont he subject.