Which Set are you Most Intrigued About this Year?

Glenn,

I'm well aware that I'm in the minority when it comes to Leprous and Overkill. To be fair, I must say that if you're a fan of either of those bands, then they will certainly deliver for you. However, in my experience of concert-going, though a band may earn some respect points from me for having great energy on stage, if I don't like the band's music, I'm not going to be interested in seeing them. On the plus side, I am looking forward to seeing 75% of the main festival's lineup, and that's at least a 65% difference from what I would look forward to seeing at the majority of metal festivals held around the world. That ratio has remained at this level (at the least) from day one, which is why I have yet to miss one of your shindigs.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

To each their own of course.... I only point out your specific post because I find it unique in that you will be skipping two of the most high energy bands of the weekend.

Agreed by Leprous is high energy with poor music quality, IMO. For me is dinner time.

Overkill, on the other hand, is a MUST SEE set.

Most anticipated...JOP. I will be retiring a 1994/5 Savatage T-Shirt(Hands full of Rain) after this gig.

Main Fest most interested: Stratovarius, JOP, Orden Ogan, Leprous, Need, Seventh Wonder, Withem, Voodoo Circle, Divided Multitude, Overkill

Main Fest dinner time: Pain of Salvation (Great band, just not my cuppa tea. I'll give them another shot though.)

Mid-Week and Kick-Off most interested: DGM, Pagan's Mind and Theocracy. :)

The only decision that is tougher for me than picking which set I'm most looking forward to is deciding which band to skip to grab some food.

The only decision that is tougher for me than picking which set I'm most looking forward to is deciding which band to skip to grab some food.

I often have that quandary. Thankfully for me, though, I'm not a thrash fan. So...one of the days is pretty settled.

I am also hoping that Orden Ogan blows me away live the way Sabaton does. I will also predict that Need will blow me away the same way Kingcrow did two years ago! Both are different, of course, but I'd never heard of either before the fest, picked up the music, and am still amazed (both by Kingcrow and the Need album!). And I really enjoyed Kingcrow's set. I know it started rough, but they brought it. I expect Need will bring it.

I just don't like thrash. I try it out again every so often, but it's not landed successfully since I found prog in my mid-teens. I will probably give them a song or two, but almost certainly that's going to be mealtime.

I actually don't like thrash either. Hell, I don't even like Slayer! But Overkill is a major exception. Something about their music and sheer attitude got under my skin years ago in a way that no other thrash band has been able to.

Leprous. I'm terrified that their music isn't going to translate live, but their performance with Ihsahn has me thinking it can also be the best set ever.

Speaking from someone who saw them at Tuska 2 years ago and having a similar concern. Let me just quell that fear. They ended up being the best show of the whole weekend and it sucked that they were the ones who opened it with only four fucking songs. I still loved Amorphis and Bolt Thrower a little more, but only because I've loved those bands forever. Leprous had a way better show than anyone else though. The Valley....fuck. You'll see.

I'm most intrigued by Seventh Wonder. I've owned Mercy Falls since the last time they played the fest (though I missed that year). My first impressions were that the music is great, but this is some supercheese forced lyrical content. Its since grown on me some, but some of the passages still grate on me. Excited to see it live though.

Agreed by Leprous is high energy with poor music quality, IMO. For me is dinner time.

OK, I get tastes being subjective and all, but that statement is just so very wrong.

I mean, I have zero appreciation for Devin Townsend's music, but I'd never call it poor quality when the talent behind it is so obviously immense.

Most Excited to see :worship: MASTERPLAN as I adore Roland's playing and have never seen them.

2nd Most Excited my friends and another first time PP band : :hotjump: VOODOO CIRCLE... been just a couple months since seen Mat and Alex and haven't seen David since 2005 PC69.:headbang:

JON OLIVA SET!!!!! PAGAN'S MIND SET!! :OMG:

ADDED BONUS.. EVERGREY LISTENING SET!!! :kickass::kickass:

I will say this about LEPROUS when they played several years ago I went into it not digging what I had heard. After their performance I was converted into a big fan. They were incredible then, also with Ihsahn and expect this set to top both of those.

I personally cannot wait to see ORDEN OGAN. I will admit I had tapped out of modern Power Metal years ago, but I gave their latest album a shot and was pleasantly surprised. I love that their vocalist has similar tone to vocalist of Morgana Lefay (a fave of mine).