Which Strings Sounds Best In Drope C ??

Vovus

May 7, 2008
Hello :)
I want to tune my 6-String Guitar in low C without getting muddy sound or loosing clarity.
Is D'Addario Chrome ECG26 0.13-0.56 good choice for that, or which strings do you offer?

I'm using the same as Metaltastic, with 25,5 scale. on 24,75 scale i would go even thicker than 0.56.

What's the guitar's scale length? If you don't know, then just give the model. And please be specific. Are you tuning to "Drop C" or "all C"?

why the crome ? I'd just get the regular nickelsteels
how thick is a matter of taste, anything from 011-052 to 013-060 will go.

I used Ernie Ball's Power Slinky Nickel Wound .011 - .048 for Open C on my Paul Gilbert Ibanez, and it sounded wicked. There was no mud, the tuning stayed true, and it sounded majestic clean. (After intonation was set, that is.) Don't know how well it'll apply to your situation, but I offer the data, anyway.

P.S. I tuned that way because I was trying to learn to play Devin Townsend tunes, just as a point of reference.

An unwound is certainly easier for lead playing, though a wound sounds way better for chording IMO - if I'm going C-standard, on a 24.75" neck I need a wound G (unwound is too loose), and on a 25.5" neck I can get away with unwound. Any higher tuning I always rock the unwound.