__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
While Heaven Wept – Of Empires Forlorn
Eibon Records - Whw041 – November 18, 2003
By Paddy Walsh

tn_iliad044.jpg

“Of Empires Forlorn” is an epic doom album in the vein of the legendary Candlemass etc. Bear in mind that this isn’t the kind of doom that one associates with bands such as My Dying Bride or Mourning Beloveth. Such bands attempt to convey their atmosphere by crushing your soul under the weight of monolithic riffs, and suffocating growls. While Heaven Wept, on the other hand, are affecting through their use of sweeping melodies and heartfelt, epic vocal acrobatics.

The first thing that struck me about “Of Empires Forlorn” is the very clear power metal aesthetic throughout. Check out opener ‘The Drowning Years’, as its sweeping and epic melodies slowly wind their way up to a climax, with vocalist Tom Philips singing in a traditional heavy metal, yet emotive, vein. A difficult thing to pull off, which he just about nails thanks to a willingness to incorporate different tones. In fact, at certain points in this album it felt as though I was listening to slowed-down power metal, although to say that is to be somewhat unfair to the band, for their music contains a lot more depth than your average power metal group.

A highlight must surely be the title track, an epic and satisfyingly heavy piece, that even incorporates some growling amidst the chugging riffs and mid-paced tempo. The inclusion of growls really brought this song up a notch for me, and afterwards I was hoping to find more of this aggression on the album. I was thusly a little disappointed to find no more upon further listening. While there are strong and well sung vocals throughout “Of Empires Forlorn”, I found them somewhat hard to swallow at times; when Philips really went for high notes it could detracted from the real sense of doom, one for the listener to really wallow in.

Don’t let this put you off too much, however, as fans of the Candlemass school of doom simply cannot go wrong with this release, from a band who are possibly the natural successors to the aforementioned doom masters. “Of Empires Forlorn” is excellently played and produced, incorporating a good variety of moods, even if I found it a trite too uplifting at times. Recommended for fans of beautifully melodic doom, those after a bit more ugliness should look elsewhere (such as the new My Dying Bride for instance).

7.5/10

While Heave Wept Website
Eibon Records Website