Whiskey, Bourbon, Scotch

Bought a couple new bottles: Hochstadter's Vatted Rye Whiskey (100 proof) and Bank Note Blended Scotch Whiskey. The Hochstadter's might be my new favorite whiskey. It's a blend of four different rye whiskies, and it's dangerous. Super drinkable, which at 100 proof...yeah it's bad news. Plus, it's only $35 for a 750, which is pretty darn reasonable for a quality rye (my other favorite, Willett, is $45).

The Bank Note is a blended scotch for only $20! It's not bad but nothing overwhelmingly spectacular. Slight peat but drinkable. Delicious

So Oban was pretty trash. $75 for what should have been $50... Way too acidic and not enough flavor. What flavor it did have was oddly minty. I'll finish the bottle I suppose, but it may take longer than normal...

That said here's my top 5:

1) Balvenie Doublewood (12 yr) - Best all around for a great price @ $50-60. Has a more wood/nutty flavor, but not over the top.

2) Lagavulin (16 yr) - Tried this at a friend's house. At $90 a pop I don't know that I could justify buying it, but it was AMAZING. Very peaty if that's your thing, but isn't quite as oily textured or medicinal tasting as say Ardbeg. This would probably be #1 if not for the price, even though I normally prefer the rounder scotches to the super peaty ones it's just too good...

3) Glenlivet (12 yr) - Many people have tasted this one since it's everywhere. A very light floral/herby taste. Definitely the best introductory scotch if I had to give a taste to a beginner.

4) Springbank (10 yr) - The texture is very light with slight peatyness and a definite seaside/saline taste. Best summer scotch I've had as it's rather good with ice which brings out that saline taste in a very good way. Also good with soda water if you're into mixing, though I normally don't.

5) Jameson - Obviously not Scotch, but for a cheaper option I prefer this irish alternative to most price comparable scotch blends.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
laphroaig is my drink of choice too. <3 any and all of those smoky peaty islay malts do it for me though. i've had people tell me my laphroaig smells/tastes like everything from TCP to burning wood, and i can't really argue. i guess it's consistent with my taste in everything else that i'd prefer the big throat-peeling flavours over the refined and subtle critics' favourites.

I lied and picked up a bottle of Aberlour. I've had too many peaty scotches lately and wanted something back more in the vein of Macallan or Balvenie. This is supposed to be a very honeyed/buttery tasting pick. Will be staying the night at a friend from work's tomorrow to drink scotch- he grabbed a bottle of Glenlivit 15 year so that will be a treat to try...

Aberlour 12 is pretty amazing. Very well rounded and smooth. Drink it neat, we tried it with ice and then water, but yeah, neat.

Bought a bottle of Jameson Caskmates today. Apparently, the story goes that a small brewery from Ireland aged one of their stouts in Jameson casks, and then Jameson asked for the casks back after the beer was emptied from them in order to refill them with, well, Jameson. It's awesome.

crown_royal.jpg

Good on the rocks.