Who had great voices for...

Fredy_Brown said:
Your definition of perfect vocals is kinda ridiculous, IOfTheStorm.
I think I am perfect singer then (even if I do lot of false tons tones hahaha).

I think what IoftheStorm is saying is that Quorthon's vocals were perfect for the type of music he was playing, not that his voice was perfect. And I am pretty sure I agree with him.

DeathsSweetEmbrace said:
I guess noone here takes King Diamond seriously as a vocalist, because I'm the only one I'm aware of that thinks he's a good vocalist. Sure, the falsetto is ridiculous, but, c'mon, you know you like it...

Missed my post?

Dan Swano
Mikael Åkerfeldt
Liv Kristine. I wish it was possible to have sex with her vocals.
Messiah Marcolin
Anneke Van Giersbergen
Dave Vincent
Rob Lowe(not the fucking actor :lol: )
Taneli Jarva
Simen Hestnæs
Johan Edlund
Christina Scabbia
King Diamond. No one on earth sounds like KD. Besides him having incredible range he stays in tune always. His only shitty moments are 'voodoo' & 'the graveyard'.
Tomi Koivusaari(his growls just sound evil to me compared to other death vocals)

The only work i've heard with Garm is 'the sham mirrors:. Garm does sound awsome.

I really, REALLY loved the voice of the vocalist for Mourn - the (one off) doom band that released a self titled album on Rise Above records.

She had a fucking awesome voice - a bit like a doom Alison Moyet...

(Actually, I know that seems like an awful mix, but they were a great band...much missed in this house...)

Truly one of the most interesting female voices in metal. "Mourn" is a fantastic album, something like The Obsessed meet The Gathering (Nighttime Birds era), or generally how The Obsessed would sound with a female singer.

Procella said:
Sounds interesting. I must check it out

Good luck finding it.

If you have problems, PM me.

They had another track on the "Dark Passages Vol.2" doom compilation, which, I also have :cool:

Generally, I have an ironclad rule about women singers and metal, and that is: "No."

However, Mourn are the exception to the rule!

Carcassian said:
Just a thread discussing the most over looked and rarely discussed aspect of any metal band: the vocalist.

Which vocalists have you enjoyed from the various genres, and why?

I enjoyed :

John Tardy Obituary

Just because that guys voice is utterly, utterly unique. It really casts a sick image or two in my head, and fits the music of Obituary perfectly.

Messiah Marcolin
CANDLEMASS

THE clean voice of metal; I was considering Dickinson here, but for sheer operatic power and gravitas, it has to be the Godfather of epic doom - the be-afro'd fatman himself!:headbang:

Amen, about Tardy.

The Candlemass vocalist is pretty good yes.

Some others I like:
Rob Halford, Philip Anselmo, Barney Greenway, Mille Petroza, Evan Seinfield, Brett Hoffman, Max Cavelera, Tom Araya etc

I used to not like Araya's vocals much but now I feel it fits Slayer pretty well.

Old Araya - yes. New Araya - no.

On Barney Greenway - yeah, I like his intelligible growling, but for me the best intelligible growler would be Karl Willets (Bolt Thrower) - perfect for the music...

Carcassian said:
Good luck finding it.

If you have problems, PM me.

They had another track on the "Dark Passages Vol.2" doom compilation, which, I also have :cool:

Generally, I have an ironclad rule about women singers and metal, and that is: "No."

However, Mourn are the exception to the rule!

Yeah I haven't been able to find anything on them.

Ironclad rules are called stereotypes.

Susperia said:
Yeah I haven't been able to find anything on them.

Ironclad rules are called stereotypes.

I don't deny it; I certainly don't try to defend it other than on average women singers ruin a band.

Mourn isn't one of those bands.

www.bnrmetal.com

They have a section on Mourn - it doesn't do the band much justice, but it does feature them.