Who plays a seven-string?

WashburnSevenStringWonder

New Metal Member
Apr 27, 2005
Im new to this website, but I play a Washburn WG587(theyre a discontinued model from a couple years back) which is a seven string. Ive only had it about two weeks, so I was wonduring if anybodies got some tips on cool stuff to do with seven-strings. I can play it just fine, but Im wonduring if theres some cooltweaks or tunings(besides drop-A/G) that I could mess with.

Keep Rockin :headbang:
David

WashburnSevenStringWonder said:
Im new to this website, but I play a Washburn WG587(theyre a discontinued model from a couple years back) which is a seven string. Ive only had it about two weeks, so I was wonduring if anybodies got some tips on cool stuff to do with seven-strings. I can play it just fine, but Im wonduring if theres some cooltweaks or tunings(besides drop-A/G) that I could mess with.

Keep Rockin :headbang:
David

Well aside from drop tuning, you can also use a high A. I played a seven string for a little while and got quite a bit more versatility out of it with a low B as opposed to a high A, but it was still something different to do and had one advantage:
The high A improved my "emotics" more than technical prowess, but it was still a very good thing. I am best at "expressing" notes (ala vibrato etc.) in the middle of the fretboard and that high A allowed me to hit higher notes with more expression as opposed to a six string or the seven with a low B where I would have to use string bending and/or vibrato higher up on the neck where I don't have as much precision.

Bryant

I had an Ibanez RG1527 when it first came out. Good guitar, but I sold it because I needed the money. If I got the money, I'd probably get the ESP/ltd. SC-607

So, what do you mean by "high A" (sorry Im a little slow). Do you tune you low B string UP to A(which I would think would snap it) or are you talking something else?

Ill try to get ahold of this Splinterhead guy, thanks for the info.

WashburnSevenStringWonder said:
So, what do you mean by "high A" (sorry Im a little slow). Do you tune you low B string UP to A(which I would think would snap it) or are you talking something else?

In that situation, it would be tuning down to A, which is normal.
By High A, he means, no low be string, you put a regular low E string there, move everything up, and where the high E string would be, you'd put a high A string.

Hey man, Ive had an Ibanez 7420 (I think) and some tunes that I love to jam to with it are Behemoth- Zos Kia Cultus, Cannibal Corpse (new), Nevermore, Meshuggah, my buddy says "nightwish, lacuna coil, everygrey" but im not digging their music.

Hmmm, I always stick to the Low B tuning. You might have trouble with the tension if you use a High A string, like if it has a tremolo system.

It sounds better to me for some reason to tune to B flat. Anyways, just have fun with it extra 5ish notes! :loco:

_Chris_

WarHead said:
Hmmm, I always stick to the Low B tuning. You might have trouble with the tension if you use a High A string, like if it has a tremolo system.

It sounds better to me for some reason to tune to B flat. Anyways, just have fun with it extra 5ish notes! :loco:

_Chris_

I rearranged the springs on my Floyd Rose when going from low B to high A. I played with 9's (my standard guage) with the low B and played with 10's dropping my tuning to "D" or "Eb" and adding a .008 as my high "A" (which was actually tuned G or Ab.) The .008 string itself had no problems with the high tuning.
Though this is sorta off the subject, some of the better acoustic players really did some wild tunings for studio work to get a real "full" sound in the recordings. Often a "high strung would be used. It has the same exact tuning as the smaller (and higher) strings of a twelve string, but wasn't a monster to play and tune like a 12 string.
In the 70's when prog rock was a big thing, some of those bands did some alternate tunings as well. I don't know of many bands still doing that except for Jonny Rzeznik (Goo Goo Dolls) but with all the talented guitarists out there in the world playing metal, I am sure there are many I just don't know about.

Bryant

My cousin has got ibanez rg something, I do not remember the numbers, but it certainly was Rg. the guitar does not have floyd rose bridge, and it has only 22 frets. I am a 6string man, so it was pretty weird feeling to try the 7 string guitar of the first time, because I have gotten so used to 6 strings. I´m always watching out the thickest string, and it seems impossible for me to get a hang from that guitar. i tried to pull some dream theater style riffs, and it sounded pretty fucking heavy and cool, but when I play normal 6 string songs, I always screw up. I quess it is only a matter of practise though..

Bryant said:
I rearranged the springs on my Floyd Rose when going from low B to high A. I played with 9's (my standard guage) with the low B and played with 10's dropping my tuning to "D" or "Eb" and adding a .008 as my high "A" (which was actually tuned G or Ab.) The .008 string itself had no problems with the high tuning.
Though this is sorta off the subject, some of the better acoustic players really did some wild tunings for studio work to get a real "full" sound in the recordings. Often a "high strung would be used. It has the same exact tuning as the smaller (and higher) strings of a twelve string, but wasn't a monster to play and tune like a 12 string.
In the 70's when prog rock was a big thing, some of those bands did some alternate tunings as well. I don't know of many bands still doing that except for Jonny Rzeznik (Goo Goo Dolls) but with all the talented guitarists out there in the world playing metal, I am sure there are many I just don't know about.

Bryant

Devin Townsend uses an odd tuning for metal (open C maybe?, I'm not good with alternate tunings) that gives him a really huge sound.....I think it works out so that he can play a full chord across the neck just by holding all the strings across one fret down. It gives him this really unbelievably huge rhythm tone, which is perfect for both of his projects. Kind of like the effect of a keyboard playing a big huge chord across several octaves.

Barking Pumpkin said:
Devin Townsend uses an odd tuning for metal (open C maybe?, I'm not good with alternate tunings) that gives him a really huge sound.....I think it works out so that he can play a full chord across the neck just by holding all the strings across one fret down. It gives him this really unbelievably huge rhythm tone, which is perfect for both of his projects. Kind of like the effect of a keyboard playing a big huge chord across several octaves.

I blow at using alternate tunings too. I know Jonny Rzeznik of the Goo Goo Dolls uses several alternate tunings on his stuff as well. Certainly Rzeznik is more well known as a pop crooner as opposed to a guitar guru, but he has some interesting stuff and a big sound as well with his guitar work.

Bryant

I think if someone is going to own a seven string, they should use it for what it was made for. Use the low B string to go down in lower notes sometimes. That constant low note chugging sound can get very annoying at times. I say if you want to do that low note playing constantly, just tune a six string down and put a heavier gauge of strings on.

Hey. I'm actually a bassist, but I play a 6-string Ibanez. The tuning (at A440) is B-E-A-D-G-C, but we tune to C# instead of E, and we drop-tune to B. So my E is actually at low B, and my B is actually low G#. I find that the really low notes are great for doing opposite lines to the guitarist...(as in, he's climbing up a scale, I'm climing down, from the same root...inverted scalar, I believe it's called)

Cheers