Who uses Cubase 5 here?

drew_drummer

Dancefap
Sep 7, 2008
London, UK
Hey guys,

I know how to use Cubase enough to do my job, but what I'm really wondering is how you guys get on with it in a metal production context. What are it's serious flaws?

It's a large chunk of change, and I don't want to jump in without knowing the pitfalls for metal production.

it's great. if your computer is fast enough then it's limitless. I can't really think of any huge drawbacks - but that's mainly because I have figured out workarounds for any problems I have had in the past. I do wish it had the protools style track-hiding features(like with that list on the left side, and you click and unclick to hide/show tracks)

and the sends seem a bit more robust in protools, but other than that...

well, some dude recently used cubendo to chart a metal album at #9 in the US in its opening week, so I'm sure it's plenty usable...

Yeah. I guess I just don't want to get it, and learn that it does something really bent that I didn't account for - which is why I'm asking you folks.

Using it exclusively. I love it. My favorite DAW personally. It's especially good if you need to map out complex songs or try different arrangements. Arranger mode FTW.

It also handles virtual instruments the best of any DAW I've tried, since Cubase pretty much invented the concept.

I haven't had really anything to complain about in the years I've used it. It's always been my personal choice, regardless of using PTHD, PTLE and Vegas while employed at other studios, I would use Cubase otherwise and kept using it after I stopped working at other studios. The *only* thing I do wish it still had was being able to process events with VSTs instead of running the plugs in real-time as inserts. That was a great feature for some situations and I'm not sure why they took it away. Other than that, no complaints. I find it suits my workflow really well, never felt like I was missing out on anything that any other DAW had... in fact I'm quite surprised PT does not have slip editing, I figured it would be the other way around but I'm not complaining. Cubase is definitely capable in a professional setting and I don't see how it would work for one genre and not for another, there are quite a few places that use it, or Nuendo, as their main DAW, having PTLE as the secondary for "compatibility" reasons. Also, the Drum Editor is just awesome for doing any work with drum VSTi's.

Despite all of that... it comes down to how it works with you. Your workflow. I think most people that don't like Cubase just don't like the workflow of it, how things are arranged, etc. Not that it's incapable, but they just work in a manner that another DAW would suit better. Just like I hate PT's workflow and how it is arranged. Obviously it's capable, but is it comfortable for you? That's my .02

The *only* thing I do wish it still had was being able to process events with VSTs instead of running the plugs in real-time as inserts.

huh?

i do this every day. in fact, i have keys assigned to all my commonly used plugins (autotune, etc) so i just click the event and hit my key and im rockin

[UEAK]Clowd;9398658 said:
huh?

i do this every day. in fact, i have keys assigned to all my commonly used plugins (autotune, etc) so i just click the event and hit my key and im rockin

The menu options are not there anymore since SX3.

i use c5 and n5, n5 is even more stabile and has some neat extra features.

I wish they didn't take away the little right click menu as well. Apparently it was removed because it was "getting out of hand". It annoys the hell out of me having to go to the top in order to do this type of processing :(

what are you guys talking about?? just hold ctrl and right click. you can change it so you don't have to hold control in the options as well.

Yea they didn't take it away... ffs. Doesn't anyone read the manual? Oh wait you don't get that with the crack huh?

But I think C5 is much easier and funner to use than Reaper. But I started on cubase so its always been simple for me. You need a fast computer or a strong will to not flip shit when c5 crashes on a mediocre processor.

I wish they didn't take away the little right click menu as well. Apparently it was removed because it was "getting out of hand". It annoys the hell out of me having to go to the top in order to do this type of processing :(

Pretty sure if you hold alt, or shift (can't remember which one!)you can see the menu like in sx3

Sorry someone got there before me with the replies...

I was always a Logic guy on PC till apple bought it and stopped supporting it. It was really annoying because my band had spent a load of cash of Logic Platinum (this is a good 6 years ago) and we were gonna daisy chain an adat through our motu and there was no driver support and that was the end of that, Grands worth of software and adat that might as well go in the bin. I think Logic has got shit since apple bought it anyhow.

I've only tripped C5 up once and that was my own stupid fault by not bouncing down tracks and running a dumb amount of stuff all at once. The only annoying thing is learning the new buttons and new button layout for the update, like in the drum edit window and I just stare into the screen wondering how I change the grid from 1/4 to 1/8 but this is a minor learning curve.

My flatmate has C4 and he is building a new PC with the operating system on a solid state drive so I'm looking forward to seeing that bad boy once its finished. His bro has the same drive and reckons his machine boots up in under 20 seconds. This sounds sexy.