Who uses Cubase 5 here?

Used to be a Pro Tools user in the Digi 001 days. Got pissed off at the lack of flexibility with interfaces and track counts.

Checked out Cubase and Sonar, went with Cubase because of the Arranger Track which is amazing.

That was years ago, and I have been on it since. I still use Pro Tools 8 for collaboration, but the more I work with Pro Tools guys, the more impressed they are with Cubase. Mainly the composer track and how VSTi's are handled. But also the VariAudio vocal editing you can do and musical mode for pre-pro and composing. Can't live without Control Room either, especially the copy main mix to headphone mix.

Since Steinberg released the VST SDK, you see a ton more VST plugins and especially free VST's.

It has its quirks, but for the most part it does everything I need very well. There are a few things I wish it had. Like ability to have multiple takes for multi-tracking in a single click like Pro Tools. Tab to Transient would be sweet.

Composing is Cubase's strong point. And the more I learn about it, the more I realize I am just scratching the surface of its capabilities.

I'm thinking of getting Cubase 5 full. I can get it for £380... which is a bit steep. I've used it on and off at work for QA stuff, but I've never used it in a serious capacity. I might give the demo a go first and see what I think.

I use Cubase quite some time now. At the beginning I loved it! Now I have to say I... like it. But it has some major flaws I really really hate and which affect my workflow.

First: I do not understand how somebody can code a DAW in which you cannot switch your grid! Its such a pain in the ass to quantize drums (split slip) when you don´t see where your triplets are!

Second: I really would like to open multiple events in one editor, so I can use elastic audio or split-slip-editing (because you can change the grid there) on all of them at the same time (or is there actually a way to do this?)

Third and most annoying: It crashes very often on my 64-bit system. The VST bridge is incredibly buggy, so I bought the jbridge and it´s 1000000 times better than the Steinberg one. I don´t get how they cannot develop a working bridge! I mean come on! There´s a third party bridge for 15€ which outruns the bridge of the great great Steinberg company any day of the week! Even after their glorified 5.5 update which should fix JUST THAT!

rant over... sorry :oops:

I used Protools for years before doing a lot of research into finding a DAW that would work the way I wanted, especially working with midi data for virtual instruments. Not to mention I wanted to use VSTs without wrapping. I decided on CUBASE and have never looked back. It's handling of midi data for me, is really great. I love it. Now on the other hand, getting certain virtual instruments to go multi channel and behave with CUBASE, that's a different story. ;) Overall, it's my DAW of choice.

I've been trying out Studio One, which seems fairly similar to Cubase. It's good, but I haven't really gotten my head around it fully yet - definitely shows promise as a usable DAW though.

[UEAK]Clowd;9398855 said:
what are you guys talking about?? just hold ctrl and right click. you can change it so you don't have to hold control in the options as well.

The right-click menu is there... I never said that. That's just Kev being a chav, and yes it is in the settings.

iHate: Would you like a picture of my eLicenser dongle to shove up your ass?

Jeff answered why the process events with VSTs isn't in my menu, because I use Studio, not full.

Yea they didn't take it away... ffs. Doesn't anyone read the manual? Oh wait you don't get that with the crack huh?

Oh dude, this just makes me MAD! You don´t get the fucking printed manual even if you buy the boxed version (at least at the edu version, which I use, but I paid $$$ for it too) so you better show us a pic of YOUR dongle! I had to buy the printed manual separately for 20€. And you get the .pdf manual even if you cracked it so don´t accuse other people of cracking software when you don´t have any clue at all!

i'm also using cubase 5,it's absolutely amazing and i think that the key is the knowledge and ability that you have,not the software.i've heard amazing productions with cubase 5 or with logic that had the same quality with pro tools.it's up to what fits better for you.i also really enjoy the VST stuff on cubase