Who will be buying the special edition Ghost Reveries? (*5.1 digital sound)

Zephyrus said:
i see no point in buying it again for the same songs.

Same songs better quality, argueably not worth it. It's not liking buying a record on CD and LP to compare quality, but still 5.1? It is sort of tempting.

Larsson said:
Maybe.

Anyway, fuck roadrunner.

Seriously that was the kind of silly comment I expect from a Rage Against the Machine fan.

Roadrunner should have probably should have released Reveries in 5.1 format before but like NF says you're not being made to buy it. At the end of the day they're a record company, they're there to make money and the make no bones about it.

I mean come on you think they actually give a fuck that you're pissed off about being asked to buy an album again just so they can make more money? Survival of the ruthless in my opinion.

Seriously that was the kind of silly comment I expect from a Rage Against the Machine fan.

I'm a Rage Against The Machine fan and I totally agree with your point Powers, so what the fuck's up with RATM?

I see all these people on the forum saying "F*ck Roadrunner, I won't be buying it, money grabbers, etc" are completely missing the point. GR in surround sound is going to be a winner...I have confidence in that statement because Opeth's 'quality control' is always superb.

If you don't have a dedicated DVD-A/SACD set up or are just trying to make a point by not buying it, then just pass; its easy!

I think its going to be superb.......

Oh god, something just crossed my mind actually....

Will this GR 5.1 be in DVD-audio or SACD audio? Reason this concerns me is because my receiver does NOT support SACD. I was excited to hear this one Dredg album in 5.1 (El Cielo) and alas, that one was in SACD 5.1. I was VERY bummed out. Still, it did seem to have greater quality than a regular cd audio offering.

I have a feeling since it is a bonus, it won't be DVD-audio - that'd suck.

Crap... I hope its not SACD... the new moody blues reissues are SACD aswell, I'm not spending money upgrading to that when I only just bought a 5.1 setup.

Heiheihei... wait a minute...
This won't be SACD not DVD-A. I am pretty shure about it. This will be the very same CD (HDCD) version as original plus usual DVD video. If they release a documentary, so it will be 99% DVD5 or DVD9. DVD-A will be another format and you cannot mix the formats on one DVD disc. On the video DVD if there will be 5.1 mix, it won't be lossless audio mix. They will use probably 24 or even 16 Bit 48Khz 5.1 format, but it will still be MPEG 1 Layer II audio as it usally is on all your movie DVD-s etc. So it will not be any higher quality actually compared to HDCD...
SACD actually have 2 layers... one is usual CD-DA and another SACD with 5.1 mix. But I really doubt that they will release it that way.

PS I will buy it anyway... whatever format and whatever contence it has, since I have waited for this special release and bought vinyl instead :p

I can't understand how people does not want this??? And i didn't know so many didn't have surround sound? well anyway,

5.1 mix
making of GR documentary
extended booklet
bonus track(s)

sounds fucking amazing to me!! :headbang:

Im dying to hear "Soldier of Fortune" recorded in the studio, that's gonna be a multiple mental orgasm.

x_OPETH_x said:
alright, most of what's been said is true, but you're forgetting another key factor - not only is a 5.1 mix more immersive, but it separates every instrument into a separate channel....(typically though, vocals and atmospheric elements like keys and SFX will dominate the front and center channels). this makes every individual aspect of the music EXTREMELY clear sounding, and very easy to differentiate from the other stuff that's going on.
basically, in a well-engineered 5.1 mix, all the subtle nuances of every instrument are brought right up front, and in your face....

the thing is, CD is such a stale, obsolete, and extremely limited format...
a typical CD-DA contains 16-bit, 41000 hz PCM stereo sound... good, if you're in 1990...

a DVD-A, in comparision, has a sampling rate of 192 khz, at 24 bits (in multi channel)

in laymans terms, this means that a CD is cutting off alot of those natural acoustics and intonations that instruments and the human voice produce in real life...... High-resolution audio captures all those sounds (even though they might not be technically "audible", since the human ear is only sensitive up to 20 khz, they still produce slight phase distortions and subtle nuances...)

it's really hard to convincingly describe...you've gotta hear it for yourself... a good start would be either Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, and the aforementioned DTS/DVD-A mixes of PT's In Absentia and Deadwing (both those albums have won awards for their surround-sound mixes, and trust me...they are BREATHTAKING...the way the album was originally meant to be heard)

Great post, and for this I am going to have to check out the DTS mixes of those PT albums!

Oh, and yeah I think I will be buying the Deluxe GR. It's not that we should have to cos we already have the original, but I'm more than happy to part with some cash for a good 5.1 mix with some bonus stuff.

I know why people will say they don't see the point, though, cos it seems like another good money spinner on Roadrunner's part. At least for those that have not bought it yet and have just leeched it of the internet, they might be tempted to get it this time round and support the band (and Monte Connor's bank account lol)