Who's getting Ghost Reveries next week?

Who's getting Ghost Reveries next week?

• Total voters
Oh well, maybe it means Devy will get a longer set. And Daylight Dies are just around the corner...

Dunno, dude. Grazim just alerted me on this news. Apparently it's on the club's website, but says nothing on the official DT site.

Reign in Acai said:
Ellestin do you have Skydancer?

Had. It's really good and all but didn't withstand olde age like "The Gallery" did. Actually I'd tend to consider "Skydancer" as the prehistoric father of "The Gallery", while there are arguably a couple songs that are better than any song on "The Gallery". I'm getting all tangled up here, all I mean to express is: "The Gallery" is the band's fucking timeless masterpiece and it shall never be topped period.

So, I finally heard Ghost Reveries and as much as I expect to get flamed for saying this, I think it's one of their better releases. Then again, I only own Damnation. I have the rest of them on mp3, but hell if I ever listen to them. Maybe one day they'll click and I'll go nutso buying all of their discs. Until then, I may pick up Ghost Reveries. Love that proggy goodness.

I've come to the conclusion that Ghost Reveries is simply average. All of their albums have completely worn out, and now they bore me... even MAYH (although I thoroughly enjoy the overall atmosphere of that album). The only one that stands a chance is Orchid.

Dick Sirloin said:
I'm mainly going for Devin, but I'm actually pretty pumped about DT as well. Do you think they'll play any older material?
"punish my heaven" and MAYBE one song from "the mind's i", two tops. nothing older, nothing more than that

I would literally give my right testicle to see the original lineup play A Moonclad Reflection and Skydancer in their entirety. Judging by that rehersal you sent me, they play that stuff pretty damn well live.

MFJ said:
I've come to the conclusion that Ghost Reveries is simply average. All of their albums have completely worn out, and now they bore me... even MAYH (although I thoroughly enjoy the overall atmosphere of that album). The only one that stands a chance is Orchid.

^^^
This nails it pretty much. The Opeth effect is growing old. However, I'm willing to bet that their albums will regain the status of "classics" in a few years from now. Well, at least the albums up to "Still Life", the rest being weak, as we all agree.

I'm sure that by the mid-80's, a lot of early Pink Floyd maniacs were growing tired and feeling the urge to cling to something else, but the kvlt overwhelmed them again a few years later. At least that's how my uncle summed up his own Floyd fan history.

When I was just getting into metal, Opeth definitely hit the spot. Now that I'm listening to Tenhi and things like that, Opeth just seems cheap and insincere.

Ellestin said:
hard judgement. "Cheap and insincere" definitely applies to the "Wilson-era --> today"-Opeth. But I'm getting your point.

yeah i know what you mean. As I said, I'm a huge fan of Orchid and MAYH. Good albums, just nothing that can keep my attention for too long now.

Dick Sirloin said:
Wait.

So "Reverie/Harlequin Forest" is pretty damn spectacular, I'll admit.

Too bad "The Grand Conjuration" is TERRIBLE! :puke: Worst song they've ever done...

Agreed, the opening riff is beyond annoying and the atmosphere is totally forced...about the only time that I could accuse Opeth of being cheap and insincere. While I still think GR falls hort of their first four albums, I still think it has some great songs on it...agreed on Harlequin as well, Baying Of The Hounds kills, and Atonement is one of their best non-metal songs to date.

Sucks about DT cancelling...

Devin fuckin slayed tonight. Opeth were sort of boring aside from playing fuckin "Under a Weeping Moon"....! Mikael pretended (?) to be shitfaced drunk all night. Their fans are annoying.

although I'm pissed that I missed opeth two years ago, I think if they came through again I would consider skipping them... perhaps, or at least just go see them once so I can say that I did it... They've reached such a level of popularity in the last year that is quite incredible, and I don't really think I could stand to be at such a concert because I'm such an enormous poser.

There comes a time that you just have to let a band go.

damn I was so pissed at that DVD they released a year or so back. the entire set was post-still life stuff. fucking gay. That's what happens when your record company OWNS YOUR SOUL.

I still bought it though... and I've watched it EXACTLY ONCE.

it was cheap, however.

It's to the point where I won't actually admit to liking Opeth (at least older stuff) in a public setting because I'm so tired of the hipster/wanker crowd who get all wet over them these days.