Who's harder to replace - Barlow or Turunen

Who will be harder to replace - Barlow or Turunen?

• Matt Barlow will be harder to replace

Votes: 46 64.8%
  • Tarja Turunen will be harder to replace

Votes: 25 35.2%

• Total voters

The Fiddler

Just Do It.
Nov 27, 2002
Heaven and Hell
Which vocalist left the biggest shoes to fill and what band will have the toughest time filling them?

Base your decision from a fan's point of view and not that of the songwriter. Obviously what Jon and Tuomas think is best for their music may or may not be what we as fans agree with. Jon has already made Tim his choice, but as fans, will it be easier for us to accept a replacement for Matt or for Tarja?

Consider their vocal styles and stage presence. Would it be harder to find a Barlow clone or Turunen clone?

Base your choice on raw music talent only. Don't let personalities outside the studio or off stage factor into your decision.

While Iced Earth has a new singer in Tim "Ripper" Owens, he has not really REPLACED Matthew Barlow...who was the heart and soul of IE.

You can never really replace someone who you think of as being that band. While Tarja may not have been the heart of the band, she certainly was the voice and looks. Owens is doing a fine job with IE, imo. If Tarja was easy to replace, don't you think they would have had the new singer months ago? Tuomas realizes that he can't just replace her with anyone for the fans to accept the new singer.

While Iced Earth has a new singer in Tim "Ripper" Owens, he has not really REPLACED Matthew Barlow...who was the heart and soul of IE.

Amen. I have never seen someone sing with such power and conviction as Barlow did on Alive in Athens, even where a good chunk of the songs were written before he joined the band.

Agreed and replaced fairly quickly,so the poll is a mute point as far as IE is concerned...Tarja as of yet has not.

We all know Owens has replaced Barlow. If you think Owens replaced Barlow perfectly, then that was an easy replacement in which case, you vote for Tarja.

The feeling I get on this board is that most think Barlow cannot be replaced or consider the jury still out on where Tim's place in IE history will fall in terms of being the best fit for Jon's style of songwriting. Many feel the same way about Tarja. That's why I thought it an interesting question.

For the record, I love what Tim has done so far with IE and eagerly await his collaborations with Jon.

You can never really replace someone who you think of as being that band. While Tarja may not have been the heart of the band, she certainly was the voice and looks. Owens is doing a fine job with IE, imo. If Tarja was easy to replace, don't you think they would have had the new singer months ago? Tuomas realizes that he can't just replace her with anyone for the fans to accept the new singer.

Excellent points to consider. It's this type of thinking that I wanted to happen with this question. Good job.

Tim was an easy choice for Jon, but will that choice be as easy for the fans to live with? Of course, as the songwriters for each band, Jon and Tuomas opinions about what is best for their bands isn't going to mesh with all our opinions as fans.

I had to vote Tarja. I love both Barlow-Era IE and Nightwish but I've always liked Nightwish a little better and loved Tarja's voice. This is just my personal opinion, but I am not a fan at all of the new IE with Ripper. I really hope Nightwish will find a good replacement for Tarja though.

Agreed. I think viewing someone as a "replacement" may be the wrong approach. Instead, its more like a new chapter for the band. For example, I never felt Sammy Hagar "replaced" DLR, but rather it was just a new era for the band. You can't "replace" the music that was created with one particular lineup, or the memories that music has created for you. So, in the sense that there are plenty of talented vocalists in this world worthy of filling the shoes for either Tarja or Barlow, yes, I suppose they could be replaced in that sense. But, in the sense that each individual brought their own uniqueness to the band, no they cannot be replaced.