Who's harder to replace - Barlow or Turunen

Who will be harder to replace - Barlow or Turunen?

• Matt Barlow will be harder to replace

Votes: 46 64.8%
  • Tarja Turunen will be harder to replace

Votes: 25 35.2%

• Total voters
We all know Owens has replaced Barlow. If you think Owens replaced Barlow perfectly, then that was an easy replacement in which case, you vote for Tarja.

The feeling I get on this board is that most think Barlow cannot be replaced or consider the jury still out on where Tim's place in IE history will fall in terms of being the best fit for Jon's style of songwriting. Many feel the same way about Tarja. That's why I thought it an interesting question.

For the record, I love what Tim has done so far with IE and eagerly await his collaborations with Jon.

I'm gonna agree with a lot of this. Definitely. Ripper is an excellent singer, a phenomenal talent, and I love what he's done so far. I wanna hear him sing an album written with HIS voice in mind, and then we'll know.

I still say that there's nobody out there who can directly replace Barlow perfectly. Tim Owens does, however, fit the band, and will definitely let IE take new directions. I can't really think of any other singer that would fit IE better than Tim Owens, simply because nobody out there can channel such an evil presence as Barlow's. When that man screams, you fear him!

And I now run to my truck to go get my discs, because I NEEEED to hear Red Baron/Blue Max!!!

Peeps;

As a HUGE fan of Nightwish, and as a Council Member of Oceansouls of America (The governing body of the USA Nightwish fan club) I can safely say that Barlow was a lot tougher to replace. As the good General already said, there are MANY women that can sing with Tarja's range. Barlow was far and away a class by himself.

As for the reason Tuomas is taking his time: The reality is that Tarja is an icon in Finland. The person has to be the perfect fit for Tuomas' vision, or Mr. Holopainen will find his career at the bottom of Lake Bodom. So, he has no choice but to take his time. As for who the singer is? Do not believe the BS. They have her signed, sealed and delivered already (my take). They are NOT going to reveal who she is until the single is released. My take? All signs are pointing to an American singer. Yes, guys, could very well be Colleen Gray. :)

Peace,
Ray C.

As for who the singer is? Do not believe the BS. They have her signed, sealed and delivered already (my take). They are NOT going to reveal who she is until the single is released. My take? All signs are pointing to an American singer. Yes, guys, could very well be Colleen Gray. :)

Peace,
Ray C.

I don't believe the press would give them any breathing room to keep something like that a secret. About the only way is if they kept going through 3rd parties and I just don't see that being worth the effort and would probably diminish the outcome. Along with the fact that the more people that know, the likelier the chances of the info being leaked. Only other way would also likely be if Marco just took over all the singing. While they may not go after a Tarja clone, I do believe they will at least remain with a female singer.

There are dozens and dozens of woman whose vocal style is similar to Tarja's.

While it's true that many others have a similar vocal style, IMO there was just something special in Tarja's voice that sepparated her from the rest of the pack. I can't imagine anyone else pulling off something like "Ever Dream" (a personal fave) quite the same way. I really hope Tuomas is looking for a voice that's a near-perfect match as opposed to someone that sounds nothing at all like Tarja. It's going to be a tough sell to most fans if it isn't.

Peeps;

As a HUGE fan of Nightwish, and as a Council Member of Oceansouls of America (The governing body of the USA Nightwish fan club) I can safely say that Barlow was a lot tougher to replace. As the good General already said, there are MANY women that can sing with Tarja's range. Barlow was far and away a class by himself.

As for the reason Tuomas is taking his time: The reality is that Tarja is an icon in Finland. The person has to be the perfect fit for Tuomas' vision, or Mr. Holopainen will find his career at the bottom of Lake Bodom. So, he has no choice but to take his time. As for who the singer is? Do not believe the BS. They have her signed, sealed and delivered already (my take). They are NOT going to reveal who she is until the single is released. My take? All signs are pointing to an American singer. Yes, guys, could very well be Colleen Gray. :)

Peace,
Ray C.

hmmmmmmmmmm could very well be. Let's just wait till Jan and find out.

While Iced Earth has a new singer in Tim "Ripper" Owens, he has not really REPLACED Matthew Barlow...who was the heart and soul of IE.

That doesn't make much sense. I can understand that you like Barlow better than Owens, that's perfectly fine, but clearly Schaffer is the heart and soul of the band. He writes most of the music and is the reason the band even exists.

Tarja. Iced Earth never had anywhere near the press and popularity as Nightwish did, and thus, they weren't under any sort of pressure from the third party sources (endorsements, radio, tv, magazines, etc) like Nightwish currently is.

They have her signed, sealed and delivered already (my take). They are NOT going to reveal who she is until the single is released. My take? All signs are pointing to an American singer. Yes, guys, could very well be Colleen Gray. :)

I tend to agree that the Nightwish vocalist has already been chosen, although it's pretty rude to still ask aspiring vocalists to send in their demos until January 15, 2007 and possibly get their hopes up when there is 0% chance of them getting the gig. Quite a big smokescreen all at the expense of playing with other's emotions.

My guess is that Tuomas has found what he considers the absolute best fit for the band and is confident that nobody will be able to top her (and therefore confident that nothing better will come in before the deadline).

It's all a bit strange, but I'm sure we'll learn more after the single and singer is announced as to why things were left to unfold to the public as they did.

While it's true that many others have a similar vocal style, IMO there was just something special in Tarja's voice that sepparated her from the rest of the pack. I can't imagine anyone else pulling off something like "Ever Dream" (a personal fave) quite the same way. I really hope Tuomas is looking for a voice that's a near-perfect match as opposed to someone that sounds nothing at all like Tarja. It's going to be a tough sell to most fans if it isn't.

I thought Tarja was the best at what she did...until I heard Simone Simmons.

To my ears, Simone has a richer voice with more body which typically separates the predominantely mezzo-soprano voice (Simone) from the predominate soprano (Tarja). Of course, there is some overlap in their ranges.

That said, there is no way I'd want to see Simone leave Epica. They've got too much going and are easily capable of eventually reaching the level of success Nightwish has already achieved.

Cuz we're all trapped at work and bored out of our MIIIINDS!!!

So very true!!! 51 votes and 308 views in just over 6 hours. Guess some people were intrigued enough to respond. With exception of the roster announcements, there have been a lot of boring, low-traffic threads as of late which also prompted me to post the poll.

Barlow. Tim Owens should have stuck with Judas Priest,as his voice suits Judas Priest's style of music. Despite some of you saying it's Jon(sure he wrote the songs),I think Matt defined Iced Earth and a huge void in this Universe remains unfulfilled.

I personally cannot get into IE, so my opinion is pretty ignorant to Iced Earth, so I obviously chose Tarja, I love Nightwish.