whos the best shred artist?

Thats what I mean. I just really hate how kids get pissed off at me and call me a poser when I say things like Dimebag was not really a guitar god. Also, I hate it when people think Dean Razorbacks are the best guitar you can get out there. People are just stupid. Dimebag was good and very interesting playing wise but compared to Jason Becker, he is a guitar n00b.

ya I totally agree

but then again I am not nearly as irrirated with those kids as I am with people who listen to pop/hip pop/shitty pop emo bands that dominate the radio nowadays

Well, I am one of like three real metal heads at my school so it pisses me off. There is this one kid who wears Death, King Diamond and Iced Earth t-shirts alot, my Black metal friend and me. So I tend to get annoyed with the mallgoths who just discovered Pantera and think Dime is amazing. And I would rather talk to the real Emo kids then mallgoth Slipknot kids. Atleat the Emo (Not Scene) kids are funny and I agree with them half the time.

Petrucci is my favourite. not Dream Theater though, but his solo record kicks serious ass! some good songwriting there. it's nearly one hour of soloing but it's very enjoyable. Jason Becker's Perpetual Burn, for example, has some great moments but lacks "songs". Petrucci did an excellent job there.

yngwie
without him we wouldnt have shred
~gR~

Ha ha
You really need to learn more about the history of music
with a statement like that man. lol

Back in the 30's a bloke named Django Reinhart (heard of him?)
took the guitar world by storm with his lightning fast, accurate, complex alternate picking and fingering. The bloke played as fast as anyone today. AND he suffered in a caravan fire
(he was a gypsy) in which 2 of his left hand fingers were fused together. He got over his disability and using just 2 fingers, continued to shred all over the fretboard.

then you had guys in the 60' - 70's like John Mclaughlin and Al Di Meola who started the real revolution in shred.
These cat's ABSOLUTELY ruled their instruments and each had total command over electric and acoustic guitars.
Speed picking, picking every note, diminished runs, harmonic minor runs string skipping etc etc WAY before good old Yngwie.

As someone stated Shawn Lane was blazing a long time ago, the same goes for Eddie Van Halen, Randy Rhoads, John Goodsall and in particular Allan Holdsworth - you dont know shit if you aint heard of Holdsworth.

My point is that without Yngwie shred would stil be very much alive and kicking.
Yngwie just added to it.
Majorly, but he just added to t.

michael romeo is the only shredder I have ever heard who played with some feel as well as being an excellent songwriter

Romeo is very good... A few other good song writers and shredders in my opinion are Chris Broderick (he doesn't consider him self a shredder) but when he does they are amazing. He is from Jag Panzer for those who do not know him.

Kiko from Angra is a fantastic guitarist whilst also being a gifted song writer.

Rob Jarzombek of Spastic Ink/Watchtower has some of the most insane riffs ever...Jeff Loomis from Nevermore can rip crazy shit with ease, Jason Becker is an obvious influence on him...my favourite is still Satch though, most diverse and soulful of the shredders in my opinion...Vai is crazy too...

Ron Jarzombek is the best.