Why can't I ever get my guitar to sound good? Clips inside.

tr3nt

May 28, 2009
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1371004/wutkm2.mp3 Pop Punk, not metal. Sorry haha.

Re did it today http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1371004/WytksundayM1.mp3

I'm never totally satisfied with my guitar tone it always sounds dead and lifeless to me, I usually LP a bit off to get any really annoying frequencies off and HP at around 200, and that's it. Am I doing something wrong? Could it maybe be my tubes in my Mesa Boogie Roadster are needing to be changed cause every time I record it sounds like that. Any help with the guitar tone or anything else would be helpful, thanks!

HP lower than 200hz, seems like you're taking alot of body out of the guitars. But then the low end doesnt sound too bad on the clip, really...could use some crisp treble on the amp, though. Other than that, the snare sounds programmed and fake. Maybe bring the kick up a little.

You guys seriously think this tone is fine???

It sounds phasey and weird to me, I can't but my finger on it. VERY hallow sounding... I'd take a look at the following:

1. Your cab
2. What room you're mic'ing the cab in
3. WHERE the cab is at in said room
4. Your mic technique

Mess with the above because I can't fathom bad tubes would make your guitar sound like this. Almost sounds like it's underwater or something, AKA, phasey as fuck! Almost sounds like TONS of early reflections getting into your mic ....

You guys seriously think this tone is fine???

It sounds phasey and weird to me, I can't but my finger on it. VERY hallow sounding... I'd take a look at the following:

1. Your cab
2. What room you're mic'ing the cab in
3. WHERE the cab is at in said room
4. Your mic technique

Mess with the above because I can't fathom bad tubes would make your guitar sound like this. Almost sounds like it's underwater or something, AKA, phasey as fuck! Almost sounds like TONS of early reflections getting into your mic ....

1. Orange PPC212 V30's
2. in a small basement room, wooden walls, cement floor.
3. In a corner
4. SM57 off the center of the speaker a bit.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1371004/wutkm3.mp3 there's one I re did

And I see what you're saying because I also feel it's like unclear. =\

High Passing at 200 is part of the problem. I never HP gtrs above 80Hz. Usually not above 60Hz. I think the rest is the room, and maybe your mic placement? Make sure you aren't micing a bottom speaker for one thing. I would also consider getting that cab into a bigger room, maybe with some carpet down, at least. The smaller the space the harder it is to control reflection, and the wood walls and cement floor aren't helping that. That's twice as bad as if the room was the same size but had carpet and drywall.

yep, definitly HP lower than what you did.
and bring down either the middle or treble knob i can't put my finger which one is over-boosted here.

I'm a total noob but to me it sounds like an OD/boost pedal might breathe some life into the first tone. The revised version I think was too bright like it needed less presence maybe not punchy enough is the best way i could describe it. idk just my take.

both sound fine.
not sure what you're going for. but it really fits this style without a problem.

but when actually comparing the old and new versions together.
the first one does sound just a tad bit boxy. nothing a little EQ probably can't fix though.
the second sounds better. but it's pretty similar.
after playing the third, it's a lot brighter than the others.

overall it does sound better in the mix.
I'm thinking a combination between both might be the best bet. (I don't mean actually blending the two tracks. lol)
not as boxy and thick as the first two, but not as bright as the third. (leaning more towards the third's sound though)
There is douchebag engineer cork sniffer perspective and there is FUCKING ROCK N' ROLL BUDDEH perspective.

This is close enough for rock and roll. (My opinion)
probably isn't metal enough for him.