Why do I suck so bad at string skips?

Horus

and his imaginary friend
Mar 4, 2005
Atlantis
Okay, so I'm looking at some of Romeo's god solos, and I'm thinking to myself "How the hell does he manage to do so many string skips so quickly?" (But then I remember that he is god.) And I wonder to myself "Is there some kind of other technique that can help me with string skips?"

Anyone know any way to get better at string skips? Any technique or any song that's good for practicing string skips?:erk:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/SoonerGH/scotteat.gifactually yes i do. I used to be kinda crappy at them also.

I don't know if you really wanna spend money but i swear paul gilberts highlights video is awesome for this.
http://www.wholenote.com/store/product.asp?sku=WB.REH853
its the best $20 i have ever spent on and instructional video.

until then, just do some basic string skip runs.

try 4-5-7 on your g string then go down and do it at your high e.

just basic crap like that will help. Then try that at different positions on the neck.

The key is really to take that shit really really fucking slow and play it with a metronome, gradually increasing speed as you feel more and more comfortable with the movements. There is no "special trick" to getting better at something...you just need to practice it over and over and over and over etc.

Muting is really important too when skipping strings...are you doing it with just left hand alternate picking or legato or are you doing string skips with tapping? Your left hand index finger should take care of muting the strings higher than the one you are on and your right hand palm should be muting the ones lower than the one you are playing. Make sure to keep your fingers close to the fretboard too so you're not wasting time going from string to string (this is all really general advice anyway, string skipping or not).

It also helps to stop viewing your favorite guitarists as having some sort of untouchable level of technique. Remember, there was a point in time that Romeo (or whoever) was learning his first pentatonic scale or barre chords. If anything, crazy technique is the *easiest* thing to achieve on the guitar, since all it takes is lots of hours and a metronome. I'm not downplaying the amount of technique that top players have, just that once you start thinking of it as "I can learn do that too" rather than just "wow look at how godly so and so is, how do they do that?" it becomes much more mentally freeing to bust your own ass.

RobbM said:
I think having really low action helps as well, that way your not having to jump over strings as high.

yea, but then low action is a given with shred style guitar playing. Like Petrucci said, its kind of like race car driving...you wouldn't take some beat up old jalopy to the Daytona 500, you gotta drive something suped up :lol:

I'm hope when I get my Jem together I can get crazy low action without dead frets or buzzing, I should though, the frets are tiny (Dunlop 8140, factory crowned and lvl'd) and the board is really, really flat, I'll try it out with 8's too..

Yngvai X said:
The key is really to take that shit really really fucking slow and play it with a metronome, gradually increasing speed as you feel more and more comfortable with the movements. There is no "special trick" to getting better at something...you just need to practice it over and over and over and over etc.

Muting is really important too when skipping strings...are you doing it with just left hand alternate picking or legato or are you doing string skips with tapping? Your left hand index finger should take care of muting the strings higher than the one you are on and your right hand palm should be muting the ones lower than the one you are playing. Make sure to keep your fingers close to the fretboard too so you're not wasting time going from string to string (this is all really general advice anyway, string skipping or not).

It also helps to stop viewing your favorite guitarists as having some sort of untouchable level of technique. Remember, there was a point in time that Romeo (or whoever) was learning his first pentatonic scale or barre chords. If anything, crazy technique is the *easiest* thing to achieve on the guitar, since all it takes is lots of hours and a metronome. I'm not downplaying the amount of technique that top players have, just that once you start thinking of it as "I can learn do that too" rather than just "wow look at how godly so and so is, how do they do that?" it becomes much more mentally freeing to bust your own ass.
If it wasn't 12:30 at night, I'd pick up my guitar and get right to this. Thanks Matt.

Eternal Dragon said:
The hardest string skipping i've tried is in one of mjr's solos.... where he goes really fast from top to bottom maybe 2 or 3 times (can't quite remember). Now THAT is hard.

hahaha, yea thats in the first Divine Wings solo...fucking bitch to play :)

Ptah - no problem dude.

Yngvai X said:
yea, but then low action is a given with shred style guitar playing. Like Petrucci said, its kind of like race car driving...you wouldn't take some beat up old jalopy to the Daytona 500, you gotta drive something suped up :lol:

Interestingly...

Sun Caged said:
Heya

actually when i had my universe i had the action not too low, just because else the tone would suck. I use mu gain at 16 for the lead tone, and no extra overdrive there

Just work on your legato technique and make it really smooth and powerful, it comes from your hands (and mind)

Greets

Marcel

So is low relative or something?

I have a sick neck on every single one of my guitars. My Iby RG has a Wizard 2, my 7 string has a Wizard 7, and most ESPs have beautiful necks, including my flying v. So neck shape is no obstacle for me.

Universe necks are much better than RG Wiz 2's and wiz 7's, there actually thinner and thus faster (as well as bound on the 777BK that Marcel Plays)..and I believe the fretwire is smaller as well which allows lower action.

I just finished thinning the neck on my Jackson. It's so thin now, that I'm pretty much playing air guitar witha frettboard floating in mid air. I've been working on every aspect of my shredding and wow. So much difference.

RobbM said:
Universe necks are much better than RG Wiz 2's and wiz 7's, there actually thinner and thus faster (as well as bound on the 777BK that Marcel Plays)..and I believe the fretwire is smaller as well which allows lower action.

I don't necessarily think thinner = faster. I'm much much more comfortable on an ESP or Strat style neck than I am a Wizard. Plus, I think the bigger fretwire you have, the more control of the string you have (your fingers have less contact with the fretboard itself, similar concept as the whole scalloped fret deal). Action has no bearing on the fretwire anyway, its the distance from the top of the fret itself, not the fretboard, that dictates the action. If anything, larger frets would facilitate lower action since the top of the fret is farther from the fretboard.

Yeah, but usually, when you have bigger fretwire, you have less capability of lowering the action, because it's easier for the string to buzz on the 1st frett. I think that's what he was saying.

Yeah, its kinda hard to discribe, but smaller frets mean theres less distance from the fretboard to the string, meaning theres less distance from say, the back of the neck to the string, which would mean lower overall action, or a thinner feel. Or at least thats the way I've always looked at it. Of course if you have long fingers I guess it wouldn't matter. Well, My Jackson is like 2 years old and it already needs a leveling, crowning and polishing, I shredded the fuck out of them. I might try an Ebay vendor who sells repairs, since theres next to no pro luthors out here :(

Hey, I noticed on my Jem neck that the fret's were leveled, but not crowned, (the tops of the frets are flat) is this going to cause any issues?

Yeah, not as easy to slide up and down. Actually, it would be rather hard and painful.