Why do people hate COB?

I know, I know!

Because people consider COB as too ... soft. Melodic sound and bright feeling of it is not something that REAL metal fan can comprehend.

The thing is that when you listen to this kind of "bright" metal in some groups it may be considered as being a pussy, because it's not so hard as Behemoth or Cannibal Corpse ... this is why exactly thy are finding so many fans in 13-17 age , because they don't usually listen to heavier music ... at least most of them.

This is what I think. Sad but true.

Some insecure people who appear to think too much of themselves listen to br00tal metal only to get a sensation of strength from some kind of primitive mind-state, and think that's the only way metal should be. Maybe these people are so severely haunted by anger they only enjoy pure aggression in music, a flow of sheer loudness avid all creativity, I won't even say heaviness cos that takes some creativity. I won't mention bands but I could. Nothing wrong with that style of music, I myself love certain gore metal bands but they do it with vision. In the anger-relieving perspective I enjoy the flavor of COB as it places the negative emotions from within me to the table and shreds them to bits with style like ninja-metal, then the melodies come in leaving a sweet sensation of accomplishment in the heart. Not that I listen to COB for that purpose. I don't even get angry much anymore cos I make my own decisions and paths in life where all the annoyances don't come across.

I don't even look at a person who says COB sounds gay and is for pussies. Maybe sometimes that description is just, a couple dozen verses and whatnot, but it shouldn't doom their entire discography or any individual song. That's called inability to analyze music, which is the problem with most COB haters. Such person has no musical understanding and fails at registering super-creative melodies, beats and composions when he hears them or just arrogantly shrugs them away due to various sorts of pressures he finds in the situation. One dude who actually plays guitar did tell me there is simply nothing good or interesting about the music. Some simply like to judge it down to the deepest junkyards of music industry with personal bitterness in tone even tho they never actually listened to it. Maybe they get infuriated by sub-consciously sensing Laiho's negative emotions where the energy of the music originally spawned.

I was a really big fan of COB until I recently met Alexi. I went to say hi and he fobbed me off. He came across as really arrogant. Yeah he is talented but you still need to treat your fan base well!:erk:
He could be the biggest and most arrogant asshole in the world and I wouldn't really care; as long as the music's good, why is it necessary to like the individual?

Some insecure people who appear to think too much of themselves listen to br00tal metal only to get a sensation of strength from some kind of primitive mind-state, and think that's the only way metal should be. Maybe these people are so severely haunted by anger they only enjoy pure aggression in music, a flow of sheer loudness avid all creativity, I won't even say heaviness cos that takes some creativity. I won't mention bands but I could. Nothing wrong with that style of music, I myself love certain gore metal bands but they do it with vision. In the anger-relieving perspective I enjoy the flavor of COB as it places the negative emotions from within me to the table and shreds them to bits with style like ninja-metal, then the melodies come in leaving a sweet sensation of accomplishment in the heart. Not that I listen to COB for that purpose. I don't even get angry much anymore cos I make my own decisions and paths in life where all the annoyances don't come across.

I don't even look at a person who says COB sounds gay and is for pussies. Maybe sometimes that description is just, a couple dozen verses and whatnot, but it shouldn't doom their entire discography or any individual song. That's called inability to analyze music, which is the problem with most COB haters. Such person has no musical understanding and fails at registering super-creative melodies, beats and composions when he hears them or just arrogantly shrugs them away due to various sorts of pressures he finds in the situation. One dude who actually plays guitar did tell me there is simply nothing good or interesting about the music. Some simply like to judge it down to the deepest junkyards of music industry with personal bitterness in tone even tho they never actually listened to it. Maybe they get infuriated by sub-consciously sensing Laiho's negative emotions where the energy of the music originally spawned.

opinions man. since when do you define the meaning of "music" or "musical understanding".
If some says it sounds "gay" the person is just expressing his opinion. because it SOUNDS shit to the person. Dude seriously, I'm on your side when you say before saying something is shit you could think about the music itself and its creation and its musical content without judging by your personal taste. But people do that because not everybody is that open minded and dude, you complain about "computer" music all the time.. so
:fu:

Yeah you can't expect everyone to be open-minded and think brightly.
The thing about computer music that bugs me is the effects and the way they repeat the main melody million times during the song, it's just lame. Of course there's lots of different computer music, but the typical teen trance that's very popular.

If this question is meant towards to some random teens/young adults, they listen to garbage Lil Wayne, Lady Gaga, Alisha Keys or whatever and even go as far as not listening ANY rock music at all. I knew this guy at school who never even heard of Metallica, ACDC, or even Led Zeppelin.

Then you got your typical mainstream rock listeners who listens to Green Day, Blink 182, Linkin Park or whatever. They dont even consider listening to metal at all, they just despite the screaming/growling vocals, yet it takes more skills than clean vocals.

I agree though, CoB is one of the best bands of all time IMO. You stated my reasons above.

Yeah you can't expect everyone to be open-minded and think brightly.
The thing about computer music that bugs me is the effects and the way they repeat the main melody million times during the song, it's just lame. Of course there's lots of different computer music, but the typical teen trance that's very popular.

what kind of effects?
Ever mixed a metal track? Do you know much "effects" and stuff is used during the production to make it sound like it sounds on the final record?

I mean the effects you use to manipulate a sound during a certain time frame, such as increasing the speed of snare drums into inhuman speeds, etc. And all the people who don't understand playing go 'wow that's so talented.' I'm ok with computer music as long as it sounds like it could be played by a live band.

And no my knowledge of the mixing and production of metal is not as high as I'd like.

I mean the effects you use to manipulate a sound during a certain time frame, such as increasing the speed of snare drums into inhuman speeds, etc. And all the people who don't understand playing go 'wow that's so talented.' I'm ok with computer music as long as it sounds like it could be played by a live band.

And no my knowledge of the mixing and production of metal is not as high as I'd like.

well thats called "stylistic means" (needled 24/7, voice in the pre chorus? and i dont know how much they're working on the drums regarding the quantization but most metal drummer's recordings are quantised which makes it kinda inhuman too,right? ) :p I dont give a fuck about the thought "does it work live? can we play that live" because its a different kind of music. I prefer "rock"bands live though. but just because you cant play with a band doesnt mean you're not talented or something. and i've never heard anybody say ''wow that snare on that electronica track is pretty fast ,what a gifted guy'' :lol:
anyway, you need, without a doubt talent to make 'good computer music' which is mostly music people freak out to in clubs. funnily enough thats the point where it comes to "live" playing of that kind of music.. its not like you just start some mp3 and wait for the crowd go crazy.. and of course theres soo much shitty "computer"music but you cant deny that there s at least as much shitty metal.

Yeah I'm not making a genre preferation, 90% is shit no matter what genre. I don't know how this relates, but if somebody made electronica covers out of some COB tracks, they could get world famous just by stealing the melodies and playing them again and again over a beat. Like ok ok it's a cool melody, but you didn't make it cockface. I'm glad this has not happened, apart from some random dudes making remixes on youtube with their Fruity Loops.

Pffffffffff, some ppl hate them because they don't like the music or they r just jealous cuz COB achieved WAY more in their lives than those fucking haters. However, everybody has an opinion and ppl r free to listen different type of music :) And (in my opinion) the most stupid thing is that I still see ppl that hate them cuz alexi and kimberly goss r no longer together! WTF!!!!?????? COB is NOT only alexi and it's really stupid to hate/like them only because of him!!! Whatever, this is my opinion and you can ignore it.

I don't hate CoB at all. They have been one of my favorite bands since I first heard Hatebreeder back in like 1999 and still damn well are. I just feel that their quality of music has downgraded. Relentless has it's moments but I just feel they could do a lot better. I enjoy songs like Shovel Knockout and Ugly off the album. I don't like alot of the punkish riffs they have thrown in their music. I think Was it Worth It, had to be the worst CoB song ever. They are above making stuff like that. I am happy for their commercial success I am not one of these "tr00 metalheads" but I still think they can keep their roots in tact.

I am just a harsh critic of things I love (my family included). For an example It's like all the Metallica fans yelling sell out when they released the black album and the load albums. I think they made a nice recovery with Death Magnetic though.

I really hope CoB just tours a bit with this album and waits a few years before making a new album and really spends some time in the studio for the next one.

haters-gonna-hate-154.gif

I don't hate CoB at all. They have been one of my favorite bands since I first heard Hatebreeder back in like 1999 and still damn well are. I just feel that their quality of music has downgraded. Relentless has it's moments but I just feel they could do a lot better. I enjoy songs like Shovel Knockout and Ugly off the album. I don't like alot of the punkish riffs they have thrown in their music. I think Was it Worth It, had to be the worst CoB song ever. They are above making stuff like that. I am happy for their commercial success I am not one of these "tr00 metalheads" but I still think they can keep their roots in tact.

They've lost most of their depth and creativity but there's still some signs of it. However, they're trying to replace a void of creativity with technical + heavyness.

I am just a harsh critic of things I love (my family included). For an example It's like all the Metallica fans yelling sell out when they released the black album and the load albums. I think they made a nice recovery with Death Magnetic though.

Metallica makes fucking 40 songs from the line and chooses which ones they will take to the album. I lost a lot of my respect for them when I heard this, it's just so lame. Normally a real artist should have at least one good idea per song, so these guys throw away 30 good ideas just like that, instead of incorporating only the best material into actual songs?

I really hope CoB just tours a bit with this album and waits a few years before making a new album and really spends some time in the studio for the next one.

I'm just pissed off they had to destroy their mythology and great music by downgrading themselves in pretty much every aspect. All they accomplished since FTR has been a heavier sound, yay. They need to make a return to the past, hire an artist or two, use a full year to make the next album... I have my own ideas but it's pointless to post them here. Maybe it's just a matter of taste. But really, you used to have album-ending songs like Downfall, Kissing the Shadows, now you have Roadkill Morning and Northpole Throwdown, says enough.

Metallica makes fucking 40 songs from the line and chooses which ones they will take to the album. I lost a lot of my respect for them when I heard this, it's just so lame. Normally a real artist should have at least one good idea per song, so these guys throw away 30 good ideas just like that, instead of incorporating only the best material into actual songs?

Metallica makes lots of variations on a theme and chooses marketable variations yes. At least they are honest about it.

The problem with RRF is that it is a variation of two themes. One theme is WIWI. The other is SK. There was clearly not enough time and variety of thematic material put into this album. It's more a collection of singles than an album. An album should go through a series of moods or concepts ideally arriving at some kind of point. RRF is like black and white. comedy and trajedy. In a way, it's inventive. On the other hand, it's undeveloped.