Why does Orchid never get any love?

Nov 20, 2006
Chicago
Forest of October and The Apostle in Triumph are excellent songs, and Under the Weeping Moon isn't far behind. While I love most of Opeth's albums, I really like the melodies and harmonies of the early stuff (compared to the unmelodic MAYH, for example).

I was really glad to hear that Weeping Moon and Night/Silent Water were played on Roundhouse Tapes. My only hope is that they'll pull out some old gems for the next tour, like Forest of October or Black Rose Immortal. Has BRI ever even been played live?

Orchid is a wonderful piece of music. My wife loves Forest Of October and at the time I bought Orchid I hadnt heard anything but that song and I was surprised. I will admit that it is not my favorite but it certainly is not a bad album. I love it as I do any Opeth album

i think it's really an amateurish album, but it has it's moments. comparing it to opeth's later albums, i don't see the point in listening to it, so i don't.

Probably because of the meh production and Mikael hadn't developed his clean vocals fully. However I do love the whispers he used in both Orchid and Morningrise.

Out of all albums in the Opeth catalogue, I listen to Orchid the most. It may not be my favourite, but the replay value is spectacular and the songwriting is intricate and epic.

I know opinions are opinions but I really feel sorry for people who have trouble experiencing the beauty in Orchid or even Morningrise. Yes, they take time, but once you get involved you will not leave it behind.

I love Orchid! In my top 5 at least. The Apostle in Triumph is a great fucking track! *listens to it now*

The Apostle in Triumph is a song that I listend to on repeat for weeks! 13 mins of secks!

I know opinions are opinions but I really feel sorry for people who have trouble experiencing the beauty in Orchid or even Morningrise. Yes, they take time, but once you get involved you will not leave it behind.

:rolleyes:

because its fuckin old, not very recognizable and the style was not very popular...except maybe in UTWM

Alot of people say its old/"raw" sounding so they don't bother. That does not faze me the slighest. They are imo, yes *imo* I'm not right or wrong, the best Opeth albums by far.

i think it's really an amateurish album, but it has it's moments. comparing it to opeth's later albums, i don't see the point in listening to it, so i don't.

Amatuerish? That is probably the last word I would use. "Orchid" is an amazing accomplishment and is lightyears ahead of most bands in songwriting, lyrics, song arrangement, etc... Of course the later albums had better production and more polished arrangement and writing but some people might even prefer the older albums' melodic beauty and amazing riffs and rawer production values.

because its fuckin old, not very recognizable and the style was not very popular...except maybe in UTWM

Though, I think both Orchid and Morningrise had the same sound and style and Mike said on the Dvd that everybody was using that style/sound and thats why he doesn't really like it ( at that time anyways ).

Orchid is my personal favorite because of the melodies. Even though some people think the twin guitar stuff is cheezy or what ever I really enjoy it and wish they added it a little more into there new stuff. I could listen to Orchid a million times over more than any other of their releases. But each Opeth album is an amazing journey and are different from one another.

Amatuerish? That is probably the last word I would use. "Orchid" is an amazing accomplishment and is lightyears ahead of most bands in songwriting, lyrics, song arrangement, etc... Of course the later albums had better production and more polished arrangement and writing but some people might even prefer the older albums' melodic beauty and amazing riffs and rawer production values.

well said

Orchid seems to have more heart in it, makes quality over quantity in light of production values. We know Mike and metal itself were different then, but Orchid carries a more melodic death feel to it. I love and appreciate Orchid for its technicality, lyrics and just Opeth having the guts to say fuck it and put out an album that was like nothing before. Watershed, just seems... simple compared to the earlier work. Can you even distinguish between Hessian Peel and Hex Omega when they come up on your itunes randomly? Why not choose song names that didn't begin with H, although Heir Apparent stands out being earlier in the album and of course heavier. It just seems so Watered down (pardon the pun.) I hate to criticize my favorite band, but this is just an opinion and I still love watershed. Bring Steven Wilson back, its all I ask.

Although Orchid's my least favourite Opeth album, it has Opeth's greatest moment ever, the acoustic guitar part before the jazzy bass thing in TTIMR, pure sorrow....

残月魔城;7410979 said:
Orchid distinguishes who is real hardcore fan of opeth and who is not.

Guess i'm not a hardcore fan, seeing as this really is generally a pile of turd.

And yes.. It is incredibly amatuerish. Yes, for a debut, the vision is impressive.. But it doesn't flow and it's loaded with lame filler riffs.

In Mist She Was Standing is the only song i really like from the album, and even that has some dud riffs and bad arrangement.