Why don't I like Opeth selling more albums ?

yep, i expected this kind of replies anyway...but i wish i could know why some people don't like when a band ( that i have started to listen to between MAYH and Still Life) starts to really meet success...that doens't prevent myself from thinking that i'm bloddy glad for the band and that they deserve it too though !! a more "psychologic" explication than a usual crappy one actually...

opethmaniac said:
yep, i expected this kind of replies anyway...but i wish i could know why some people don't like when a band ( that i have started to listen to between MAYH and Still Life) starts to really meet success...that doens't prevent myself from thinking that i'm bloddy glad for the band and that they deserve it too though !! a more "psychologic" explication than a usual crappy one actually...

After reading your posts I'm surprised you can actually operate a CD player

In Opeth's case, I find any discussion even remotely related to "sell-out" a load of crap. My ears don't hear "sell-out". I hear Opeth, a band that has grown over the years, but has not lost touch with what makes them great. They continue to amaze me, and I find GR one of their best albums, and Ghost of Perdition my favorite song, period.

I would love to see Opeth spiral to the heights Metallica did, because I find them totally deserving based upon the music they have given me. They have struggled financially to bring to us loyal fans a style of music like no other. It's time they were repaid. I could care less if they have a large fanbase. Nor do I care if most of the fans don't truly appreciate what the band really is but instead are on a bandwagon. All I know is I'm thoroughly into Opeth, and they will most likely continue to be my favorite band for years to come. Led Zeppelin was my favorite band for over 30 years until Opeth came along. I don't see any band on the horizon taking over the top spot from Opeth, so for all I know, I'll go to my grave with Opeth being my favorite.

opethmaniac said:
I'm waiting for your answers...ans i'm pretty sure i'm not the only one...
Because you're an elitist prick who only listens to Opeth because they're unknown to the mainstream, and when they show signs of becoming more popular, you're suddenly not uber-cult and elite by listening to them.

I dont get why people are calling opeth sell outs. Their new album is actually less mainstream than their last 3 albums in a musical way.

Opeth have and never will 'sell out' because they have always been about writing amazing music FIRST AND FOREMOST. Everything else is just an added bonus. Some people have no fucking idea about anything.

I haven't said Opeth are sell-out !! Of course, they're not !! Selling more discs doesn't necessarly mean that they are sell-out !! and i still love them, "Ghost Reveries" is a great (but not their best for me, though) album ! I know they still do their stuff on their own, meaning writing music etc etc..but yeah, maybe it's a matter of being mainstream...I'm from Europe and i can't believe Opeth is being mainstream, fashionable..i mean, their music is so different from what we hear on the radio / TV here... same goes for The Mars Volta, i can't understand why they are so popular whereas their music is so complex...
Anyway, thanks to the guys who replied seriously...

the only reason you would not enjoy opeth's recent success is for reasons other than the music itself...right? well then, thats a pretty shitty reason.

well, i take that back...on the way up, opeth may end up doing more festivals, or opening for a more popular band...both mean a shorter setlist...which is bad.

People here are so fucking immature. Too much name calling. Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez.

The guy was asking a simple question. He still loves Opeth, but for some reason is annoyed by the fact that they are gaining popularity.

I can understand this. You people can flame me all you want, call me an "elitist prick", blah blah, but I also can't help but be a little annoyed by seeing Opeth t-shirts in HOT TOPIC, etc. Don't get me wrong now, I am TOTALLY happy for the guys and they definately fucking deserve this. They've been making amazing music for over a decade and they deserve a little more recognition. I wouldn't wish anything less for them. But I know a lot of you people claiming to not be bothered by this (at least a teeny tiny eensy bit) are just lying to yourselves...

I´m really happy they finally begin to get more and more recognition, they deserve it after so many years...
The only thing I´m not happy about is hat they concerts go sold out so fast...and I´m angry I couldn´t buy on time the ticket for their upcoming concert in Stockholm...which is already sold-out:cry:
It´s so sad you can´t go to a concert because already three weeks before it there are no more tickets left....