Why have all the old bands turned to shit?

Rabenreich

bad bass player
Jul 21, 2002
Midgard
Visit site
Hi there!

Well I was not even born yet when albums like "Ride the Lightning" and "Show no mercy" came out,but me and my friends listen to stuff like that all day long,when we're together.Old Metallica,Slayer,Sepultura,Sodom,Kreator and so on...And we hate most of the stuff these bands do now...Exept Kreator and Sodom.
So can s.o answer us why all the old famouse thrashmetal bands have turned to shit?
I could spit when I hear words like "Load","Roots" or "Soulfly"...The only new thrashmetal band I like is The haunted.
We often got trouble with this baggy pants fuckers who listen to the new stuff or bands like Machiene Head *s* We can't stand this new "thrash" "metal"...

Well, people change, it's as simple as that. I don't find it hard to accept that the "old shool" bands change,
most of them are around 40yrs old by now, and they get influenced by different things now than they did in the 80's.

Originally posted by Fractured
Well, people change, it's as simple as that. I don't find it hard to accept that the "old shool" bands change,
most of them are around 40yrs old by now, and they get influenced by different things now than they did in the 80's.

But there are bands like Sodom, Overkill, Testament, Sabbat (Jap), Exodus etc. that have been going for years. And they're as old as Metallica, Slayer and such.

The guys turn in their 40s... They have less fury/hate/agression than when they were young....
I like recent slayer though. I like it better than South of Heaven and season wich have too much sluggy tunes. Far from Reign in blood though :headbang:

Originally posted by MacMoney
But there are bands like Sodom, Overkill, Testament, Sabbat (Jap), Exodus etc. that have been going for years. And they're as old as Metallica, Slayer and such.

Yes but my point is that most people do change. I really liked Testament and Overkill before, but i don't like their new stuff. So they have changed as well. Well, not as much as Metallica but still..

People change, Metallica doesn't want to make metal and they have the right to do so. Metallica isn't doing metal anymore so they are shit now :rolleyes: I don't even care for those bands now, but there's no need to rehash these ideas. I moved on and you should check out more bands, there're lots of bands worthy of a listen.

We often got trouble with this baggy pants fuckers who listen to the new stuff or bands like Machiene Head *s* We can't stand this new "thrash" "metal"...

:lol: Don't judge people by their looks, I wear baggy pants (sometimes) and i'm still a metal listener.

Pfffft. Old bands turn to shit? Morbid Angel and Entombed are still great. Machine Head turned rapcore/nu-metal and they're not good as they used to be. I gotta agree with that.

instead of asking why they have changed to something you dont like, why dont you give us a good reason why it is good for a musician to stay in one place? never move around in music or experiment at all? metallica chose the ballsy way....do what they want, no matter who likes it or not. for metallica to truley "sell-out"(which is the lamest excuse anyone can give for a band), they would have just written another black album. slayer on the other hand.......they sticked(mostly) to the stuff they know/knew thier fans would like. and if the die-hard fans dont like, half a million nu-metal fans will. if you dont like the new stuff, fine, but dont use valuable time bitching about it when you could have been out looking for other bands to get into.

One old metal guy who hasn't sold out in the least is Jim Durkin. He has two bands going on right now, which are both HEAVY!!! Dreams of Damnation is in the studio right now recording their first lp with their new singer Loana, and it looks to be a crusher. His other band Pagan War Machine is working on some new stuff and getting ready to play their debut gig March 1st in LA. (There's a thread about PWM around, check out the demo..... it made my top 5 of the year 02). Some people are interested in trying to sell records, and some people stick to their guns......

Originally posted by MyDecember
if you are signed to a label, first and foremost, you try and sell records. otherwise, what the fuck is the point?

That's right! Otherwise, you'd into recording & what give it away?! I think the only band that hasn't grown as musicians & songwriters are AC/DC their are stuck in a time warp. Not only a time warp, but a B-Version of a time warp. I don't understand why people "flip out" when a band wears a certain type of clothing, big deal. Sell out?! I would say so. A band reaches their peak at a certain time & they'll NEVER be able to top what got them there. Maybe that's why AC/DC keeps trying to issue second & third rate versions of "Back in Black." Kind of like a crackhead trying to chase their first high or something. Another reason is age or success.

Originally posted by MyDecember
if you are signed to a label, first and foremost, you try and sell records. otherwise, what the fuck is the point?

Thankfully not all people embrace this money hungry idea. Some bands do tend to record music first and foremost and think of selling and promoting later on.

Don't judge people by their looks

Pll with skateboards,dreadlocks and Korn shirts arn't metalheads!

Well, people change, it's as simple as that. I don't find it hard to accept that the "old shool" bands change
First I have lots of good bands and when the get old,they turn to shit.Cool eh? :rolleyes:

And metallica where good, atleast to "black album"...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

They have less fury/hate/agression than when they were young....
Yeah.Because when you SELL OUT you have money,a big house,bitches and 10 cars.No reason to be angry anmore heh? :p