Why I hate forums.

Zivilyn

I'm long winded
Jul 17, 2003
Visit site
AKA- Why I lurk.

1. Let's say your on a board that doesn't get tons of activity... Less than a page worth of new posts in a day. All of the discussion is about one particular thing. Then you post something like "Hey, I just got married!" And someone replies with a link to the off topic board. Because GOD FORBID you get some activity going around there. It just takes up sooooooo much bandwidth after all, and it forces the victim to suffer through another 0.0065 seconds of sifting through threads.
2. You can't slap people for being a moron.
3. No amount of arguing is going to change a damn thing, because everyone on a forum thinks they're the shit (including me). They argue about really meaningful things, like abortion. I'm sure some extreme pro-life guy isn't going to just suddenly "snap out of it". He's probably given the subject plenty of thought. Doesn't need your help. Never in your life will you hear someone say "Well I WAS a Christian, but some genius 17 year old on a Children of Bodom forum really changed my life". I've never been to the Children of Bodom board, but it's a good scapegoat. People that try to change your opinion. For example- I don't like Helloween. "DUDDE, WHA(RT ARE YOU THINKING! POSUR!" Then they go on to try to tell you the REAL meaning of Keeper of the Seven Keys, and try to tell you Kai Hansen PWNS, and it's just a big mess.
4. No, not trolls. Troll Food. Troll Food goes into the topic of an obvious troll and goes "fuck you, dude! *finger*". It's sustenance for the troll. It wouldn't be so fun for them if they didn't get fed. Then some guy walks in and says "No, you don't get it, that's just Marv. He's fucked up." But Troll Food doesn't contain animal brain pieces, so they continue the feeding frenzy.
5. Signatures that aren't funny, or really big. "Yay, just what I wanted to see, a CATFISH! SCORE!" And yet without a catfi- I mean, signature, you're nobody. Nothing stands out. That's why I don't get laid on this board.

I'll end it there for now. I don't know what compelled me to do this. Hopefully I'll change some people, but I know I won't.

Zivilyn said:
AKA- Why I lurk.

1. Let's say your on a board that doesn't get tons of activity... Less than a page worth of new posts in a day. All of the discussion is about one particular thing. Then you post something like "Hey, I just got married!" And someone replies with a link to the off topic board. Because GOD FORBID you get some activity going around there. It just takes up sooooooo much bandwidth after all, and it forces the victim to suffer through another 0.0065 seconds of sifting through threads.
agreed.

Zivilyn said:
2. You can't slap people for being a moron.
but neither can you when you lurk.

Zivilyn said:
3. No amount of arguing is going to change a damn thing, because everyone on a forum thinks they're the shit (including me). They argue about really meaningful things, like abortion. I'm sure some extreme pro-life guy isn't going to just suddenly "snap out of it". He's probably given the subject plenty of thought. Doesn't need your help.
the aim of discussion isn't always to change people's mind. i might, sometimes, be interested in what people think (especially if they're my "friends"), and why. this is quite useful to learn to see things from other points of view, even if at the end i'm likely to keep my idea (i'm supposed to have thought about my convictions, so it's not like i'm going to change them everyday, be a stupid the person i'm talking to, or the pope).

Zivilyn said:
Never in your life will you hear someone say "Well I WAS a Christian, but some genius 17 year old on a Children of Bodom forum really changed my life". I've never been to the Children of Bodom board, but it's a good scapegoat. People that try to change your opinion. For example- I don't like Helloween. "DUDDE, WHA(RT ARE YOU THINKING! POSUR!" Then they go on to try to tell you the REAL meaning of Keeper of the Seven Keys, and try to tell you Kai Hansen PWNS, and it's just a big mess.
what you've described is a gourp of retards. in this case it happens to be the same thing as an online board, but the negative results you get from those people (non necessary the cob board) is given by the low IQ level, not by the fact that it's an online board. so, for example, you're more likely to get that reaction from a bunch of kids that have never accessed the internet rather than from an online community where members meet to discuss about, say, philosophy.

Zivilyn said:
4. No, not trolls. Troll Food. Troll Food goes into the topic of an obvious troll and goes "fuck you, dude! *finger*". It's sustenance for the troll. It wouldn't be so fun for them if they didn't get fed. Then some guy walks in and says "No, you don't get it, that's just Marv. He's fucked up." But Troll Food doesn't contain animal brain pieces, so they continue the feeding frenzy.
agreed. never feed the trolls. but again, i'm not bothered by them more if i post than if i lurk only.

Zivilyn said:
5. Signatures that aren't funny, or really big. "Yay, just what I wanted to see, a CATFISH! SCORE!" And yet without a catfi- I mean, signature, you're nobody. Nothing stands out.
yet again, if you lurk only you're not blindfolded.

Zivilyn said:
That's why I don't get laid on this board.
only here? :lol: err... sorry :p

Zivilyn said:
I'll end it there for now. I don't know what compelled me to do this. Hopefully I'll change some people, but I know I won't.
dunno about that, but this topic was indeed more interesting than others, cheers!

Zivilyn said:
AKA- Why I lurk.

*you're.

Spelling Nazi owns you.