Why is PT considered the best for editing audio?

JonWormwood

Jun 16, 2007
Jax, Fl
While I've heard everyone say this time and time again I still do not know why PT is better then let's say Cubase SX or Logic.

Any insight?

personally i've just found it to be the most logical layout and tool setup. Logic was the biggest pain in the ass for me, cubase is decent but the midi was always weird in there. also if i'm not mistaken pro tools was the first major editing software, so people are probably just used to it becaus eit was first.

smart-tool is an all-in-one tool: it selectes audio, you can grab and drop entire regions, you can trim regions, etc. it basically changes what kind of tool it is based on where your mouse is or what PT thinks you're trying to do with the audio.

The fact that it's so widespread is certainly ensuring its use, there's no denying that. It also sounds more authentic - 'Cubase'? Sounds like a bouncy-ball-and-blocks game. 'Nuendo'? What the fuck is that, hinting at innuendo? Don't even start with Audition and Garage band... real professional sounding shit there, Garage Band. Only thing that comes close is Reaper.

"Dude... did he just say Reaper"

"Probably."

"You know, he uses the embodiment of Death to process audio... let's not fuck with him."

Jeff

DP has a "smart tool" as does Logic. Pro Tools editing is weak sauce compared to both apps, although it is still very usable. Digidesign was lucky and got their foot in the door with the big studios first, establishing market share in the emergent early 90s digital audio field before the future competitors thought it was a market worth exploring. Digidesign's dominance fostered laziness, and they are only just beginning to realize the seriousness of their competition within the last couple of years. Pro Tools is getting better the more it copies the other software out there, but to me it's still the worst game in town in many respects.

Digidesign is the Microsoft of the digital audio world, and just like Microsoft, their monopoly is fading fast.

Obviously people do great work in Pro Tools, but the same is true of every other professional DAW on the market. It's the people, not the software, that make the difference on an album. But when objectively evaluating the overall feature set and workflow of DAW software apart from who's using it, it becomes clear that Pro Tools' dominance was never based on the quality of the software.

sorry Shane.. you're wrong about that... i happily gave up DP once i realized how much better and fluid audio editing in PT was over DP. this eventually happened for midi too. Sorry, you're just wrong.

Guitargodgt, yes, in the past PT did not have the greatest midi implementation.. it was created orginally as an audio application, while Cubase, DP, etc. were created originally as midi applications... BUT, starting with version 7, and even more so with 7.3. PT has stepped up to the plate with midi... and statements like yours regarding PT's midi capabilities are simply no longer true. before version 7.3 i used to continue to use DP for midi.... i have now completely abondoned using it altogether. Pro Tools has it all now. all i need. i am a "power user" so to speak.. and have been deeply into MIDI since the late 80's.... there is no argument, PT midi functionality has come of age with 7.3.

one thing about digi. they take care of their customers big time. They have issues same as every other company but they are fast and efficient. I bought one of the 002's with the power supply issue, called them. they had a new 002 on my doorstep at like 6a.m. the next morning, and I'm a nobody. Also there is something to be said for an industry standard. You can bitch and moan all you want about this feature over another, but if everyone learns the same program then an engineer can go into any studio without having to learn all these new menus and functions that did the same thing in the last program only now they are in a different place. And sometimes that's more important, the less the guy has to think about what he's doing the more he can focus on being creative.

Common James you got to love the drum map that cubase offers.

At first I fucking hated this and would rather score in Guitar Pro 4.

But now I am :worship: to the MIDI editing in Cubase, very intuitively laid out with a great work flow. I guess I'll pick up a copy of PT m-powered to run with my old M-audio mobile pre and see how it can help me along side of Cubase.

:)

no, i hate it... and i hate the one in DP... it's to "Grid"... you get the same thing in the Edit window... piano roll... just enable the grid.. and you can freely move shit around off the grid if you want.. as i often do.. to make a more realistic performance.... drum editors actualy hinder my drum programming, they do not help me.... i liked them when i was fist starting with drum programming... as i've gotten more advanced with programming though i hate the drum editors.. they are like "training wheels". give me the piano roll in the main edit window any day.

no, i hate it... and i hate the one in DP... it's to "Grid"... you get the same thing in the Edit window... piano roll... just enable the grid.. and you can freely move shit around off the grid if you want.. as i often to.. to make a more realistic performance.... drum editors actualy hinder my drum programming, they do not help me.... i liked them when i was fist starting with drum programming... as i've gotten more advanced with programming though i hate the drum editors.. they are like "training wheels". give me the piano roll in the main edit window any day.

Just turn the snap-to off.

:eek:

Just turn the snap-to off.

:eek:
yeah... no kidding :Smug:. i'm sure that was clear in what i said. it's easy to defeat the grid in piano roll editing... not so in Drum Editor mode. the Cubase and DP drum editors are "on the grid" by design... they ARE grids... and there's no way to move things around freely without switching to the piano roll.. i'd just as soon cut out that step.