Why is Stride so horrible?

booB said:
most of the TRULY progressive bands out there are too far removed from the Dream Theater-esque typical prog sound to be mentioned in the same sentence.
i agree here.

but i do agree with the others that our Pumpkin friend is a tad elitist, and without justifying reasons.

well if you have 100% love for your music you should think it is the way all music should be. Especially if the music you listen to is based around an ideal rather than a sound. Progression is an ideal, a belief not a sound....so anything that disagrees with that ideal you look at as inferior naturally. So in hindsight, why is it bad to be elitist, i personally respect it.

Empress said:
I guess I can care less what people say about the bands I do like. If that was the case you know how many blabbermouth posters I would get a grey hair over when Rhapsody news is posted?

Argh. Blabbermouth. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villiany.

I was wondering if that was you I saw in the Rhapsody article today.

Fav Rhapsody song: The Dark Tower Of Abyss (the strings kill me)

dargormudshark said:
well if you have 100% love for your music you should think it is the way all music should be. Especially if the music you listen to is based around an ideal rather than a sound. Progression is an ideal, a belief not a sound....so anything that disagrees with that ideal you look at as inferior naturally. So in hindsight, why is it bad to be elitist, i personally respect it.
i certainly don't.

anything that is beyond the realm of my comfortable familiarness is not inferior, but uncharted, a region into which i travel to adventure and discover, and upon becoming familiar with it, it becomes an extension of my "ideal" music.

to think otherwise is intentionally ignorant, or closedminded. if i discover a band that i absolutely love, would i then listen to this band only, and reject even the possibility of anything else as being inferior? i claim this hill, for it is the tallest i have yet seen, but i refuse to travel beyond its horizons to see if there lies yet a higher vantage point... foolhardy notion imo.

but suit yourself.

*wipes eyes, gets up from corner and meanders back into the conversation*

Few things. First off, one should never have to justify their musical tastes. Second, who said elitist is a bad word (i see many of you folks are here). Finally, being openminded is overrated. If you argue that, go listen to the Korn back catalogue and then tell me you don't like them. :lol:

Zach-The non-prog snob

Empress said:
EDGUY!!! Cheesy and GREAT! I must admit I neither agree with some of the posts here, because true, yes that all have their own opinion and can state it, though I can't agree with some, I guess I can care less what people say about the bands I do like. If that was the case you know how many blabbermouth posters I would get a grey hair over when Rhapsody news is posted? And I do get angry.

I just thought that people took the OP comments way too personally. Music is very very important to me, as it is to a lot of people who post here. But we are not going to all have the same tastes.

And if you get grey hairs about anti-Rhapsody posts, I hope they all stay out of sight.;)

theodyssey said:
*wipes eyes, gets up from corner and meanders back into the conversation*

Few things. First off, one should never have to justify their musical tastes. Second, who said elitist is a bad word (i see many of you folks are here). Finally, being openminded is overrated. If you argue that, go listen to the Korn back catalogue and then tell me you don't like them. :lol:

Zach-The non-prog snob
:lol: not a Korn fan, but i gave them a chance. i'll give any band a chance, genre regardless. I'm not a metalhead, and certainly not a progsnob, as several of my favorite band are as far removed from "prog" as it gets. if anything, i'm a music fanatic, and that is all.

Silent Song said:
:lol: not a Korn fan, but i gave them a chance. i'll give any band a chance, genre regardless. I'm not a metalhead, and certainly not a progsnob, as several of my favorite band are as far removed from "prog" as it gets. if anything, i'm a music fanatic, and that is all.

Ahhh, now we get into my deep dark past. Many years ago, i WAS a korn fan. A rather large korn fan. *cough* and Limp Bizkit. Have a field day guys... i can see the comments now ("Deep dark past? Stop talking about yesterday like that hahaha")

Seriously, troll comments aside, i like your thinking there Silent. I mean, i consider myself a metalhead because i have a badass image to uphold (long hair, learhter jacket, black jeans and all... fuck i'm such a geek haha). However, that doesn't stop me from listening to any music i enjoy, which is anythign from some really bad 80's pop to some country. Fuck you, tears for fears rule. :lol:

Anyhow, once again, didn't mean to piss anyone off. I guess my sense of humor just doesn't mesh well? I'm going to go listen to the new Stride disc now...

- TheOdyssey presented his dislike for Stride in a light-hearted and mocking manner, and 90% of you jumped down his throat and started assaulting his character. Hey, so that's a pretty reasonable reaction guys.
- Why is Barking Pumpking a fricking celebrity now? The kid's ego is obviously big enough already, don't help him stroke it further.
- TheOdyssey's avatar has tits, so I for one would like to see him post more often.

chibitotoro said:
- TheOdyssey presented his dislike for Stride in a light-hearted and mocking manner, and 90% of you jumped down his throat and started assaulting his character. Hey, so that's a pretty reasonable reaction guys.
- Why is Barking Pumpking a fricking celebrity now? The kid's ego is obviously big enough already, don't help him stroke it further.
- TheOdyssey's avatar has tits, so I for one would like to see him post more often.

Ok, so one person gets my sense of humor. Yay.

Also, those tits are on a statue or something...

ghosts_cover.jpg

by the way, i actually burst out laughing at that last part hahaha :D

Greykiller said:
And if you get grey hairs about anti-Rhapsody posts, I hope they all stay out of sight.;)

I'll try! Otherwise, they're hiding ;)

SeaStorm said:
Argh. Blabbermouth. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villiany.
I was wondering if that was you I saw in the Rhapsody article today

I agree. And yes, that's me. I usually use Empress for any online things. It keeps things less complicated this way. :headbang:

TURILLI FOR PP7!

Statue or no statue, they're still breastises.

I define "celebrity" as someone that everyone knows, and everyone is talking about because he/she has become the center of attention. That kid hasn't even posted in this thread, but still half the people who have posted have mentioned him. Including me! How ironic!!

Alright...was gonna respond a few days ago...now I realize it's all a big fucking scam...but...

Why are we debating about why Stride is so good?

What the fuck is so bad about them? They kick ass...

If you don't like them...buy something else, you pansy!

In a nutshell, they are creative and original...and deserve some fucking respect from both prog and general metal fans...

Get a life...

Rock on!

Silent Song said:
i certainly don't.

anything that is beyond the realm of my comfortable familiarness is not inferior, but uncharted, a region into which i travel to adventure and discover, and upon becoming familiar with it, it becomes an extension of my "ideal" music.

to think otherwise is intentionally ignorant, or closedminded. if i discover a band that i absolutely love, would i then listen to this band only, and reject even the possibility of anything else as being inferior? i claim this hill, for it is the tallest i have yet seen, but i refuse to travel beyond its horizons to see if there lies yet a higher vantage point... foolhardy notion imo.

but suit yourself.

Let me rephrase this. THe ideal of progress is one that I believe in, in most cases. Let's look at it this way, take any band that tries to make there music more than a form of entertaniment and take it to the next level. I respect regardless of the genre but yet there are bands like MOtley Crue who just want to have a good time and party, that's cool too whatever. BUT, I look at Motley Crue as inferior to any band that follows the ideal I believe, genres regardless.

On another board, i have this quote in my signature:

Demeaning others who don't share my musical preferences is the only thing that gets me up in the morning.

Andrew and i were discussing this last night and we decided it also was relavent for musical ideology. And no, i didn't come up with that quote. I wish i could come up with something that awesome! :lol: