why not to buy from musicians friend

I had the opposite from Thomann a few years ago I order a pair of genelec 1030ams and recieved 3 of them. I gave them every chance to arrange a coolection and after 3 months wrote and told them that if it wasnt collected within 14 days I would sell it and still nothing. So I got 2 speakers and sold the third.

^ I have. I used to live in Fort Wayne, IN (where Sweetwater is located), and my dealings with them have been the worst of any online retailer...Even worse trying to deal with them as a local business. Soooo many things have happened that I have vowed never to order from there again. I know more than a few salespeople (former and present employees) who have less than nice things to say about the place, the management and more specifically, the owner. While I do think some of the staff know thier stuff, unless you are king shit, or have somewhat large orders, I get the sense you amount to about zilch...I've experienced it first hand, on site. I'm sure the same rules apply to them as any other large retailer, but man, they were straight up crooks with me. Sales staff, service dept., etc.

That's nuts man, pretty unheard of for Sweetwater......

My first order from them was for 2 XLR connectors, I think it totaled $10 or something like that..... My sales guy still treated my order like it was thousands worth of gear. I think the amount of candy in the box was worth more than what I ordered:kickass:

I bought something from MF once. Only once. For a reason.

I have, however, spent thousands of dollars with Sweetwater, but never all at one time. I bought a rack for one order. A couple of mic stands for another. A single guitar cable. I did buy my MOTU 8Pre and several mics at once one time though. I've noticed the same as one user above me, no matter how big or small the order is I get great treatment and customer service. That alone, to me, is worth going back to repeatedly.

Not only that, but whenever I order stuff I just tell them that there is a store locally that is selling an item for a lower price than SW and they always meet+beat the price. My JSX was only $950, I told them a local store had it for $1,150, and SW had theirs advertised at $1,299 or something like that. The local store, in fact, didn't have it for $1,150, I was just seeing what would happen. :D

~e.a

i have a "great" Sweetwater story.... won't name names though...

they sold me a non-existent product, then sent the wrong item since the real one didn't exist... then took FOREVER, literally months, to send UPS to pick it up for return after i called... then a few more months to actually get me my refund check.... i had to finally call and demand it and get somewhat hostile to get the refund issued.... but that didn't happen before the original salesman got on the phone with me and tried to make me feel bad about getting a refund because they'd take the commission back out of his paycheck and his kids need school clothes and.... blah blah blah. i was incredulous. i finally got my refund and have not ordered from them since.

it was a $300 item... a DVD Rom in Akai format... however, despite what they told me over the phone, it only existed in Gigasampler format.... so they sent the Giga disk, which was useless to me.