If you're not into metal, then you are not my friend

I'm sad to say that I've never seen that Conan, I just found the pic in someone's sig earlier today. :D

Generally speaking:
Italian food > nearly all other food

JayKeeley said:
That's a shocker! Other places are nice to visit though, but you can only make that determination once you actually get there and see it with your own eyes.
I'm not sure I understand which part is the shocker. Me not quitting my new job, dropping my life and moving to Europe or anywhere else for that matter? Well, yeah, that should hardly be shocking. And I'm sure in some way it's ignorant, but I honestly don't care to live anyplace else, no matter how wonderful it is. I love this country, I love where I live (near NYC) and I wouldn't change that for anything. So it's pretty much a moot point.

Who's talking about metro London? Again, you have no benchmark to compare to other than a weekend trip to a field in the middle of Germany. Travelling extensively can only be a good thing for anyone, whichever way you look at it.
I was making an assumption about your comment re: no easy train access where you live now, i.e. Suffern vs. where you used live, i.e. London.

I have no problem with traveling extensively; hell, I'd love to. I wish I was a spoiled fucking brat and had zero responsibility. I wish I didn't have to bother with mundane daily bullshit like work and rent. I wish I could make my own hours and work a few months out of the year. Then I'd travel plenty. As it is now, I'm lucky to get away for a few weekends a year. That'll just have to do.

Erik said:
Italy is shit. Italy is the only place in the west with a more retarded leader than Mr. Bush. I hate Italy. Home of gay power metal, shit and shit.
And great food, a beautiful countryside, gorgeous women, the best cars in the world, copious amounts of wine, and the mob. So it can't be all bad.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the German automobile for everday use, but sorry, there's really no comparison to these 3:

Intro07_480.JPG

diablo2.jpg

2005-maserati-gransport-front.jpg

Not that they aren't sweet, but if I had a car like that I'd want to drive it every day. 365 days of driving is about their total lifespan. Until I can afford my M3 or 911 GT2, I'm sticking Japanese. :D

markgugs said:
I was making an assumption about your comment re: no easy train access where you live now, i.e. Suffern vs. where you used live, i.e. London.
Right, so if you compare London to somewhere like Boston, NYC, and DC, all those cities are great for getting from A to B. What I was referring to was the United States in general. It's not really known for it's mass efficiency in public transport, I guess it's more well known for it's big gas guzzling SUV's and old man Cadillacs. People like to drive here - why they drive IN to somewhere like NYC for their 9-5 jobs blows my mind.

It's really difficult to explain the difference, but the transport throughout the UK and indeed the entire European continent is just remarkable - you truly have to witness something like that to believe it. The funny thing is, in hindsight I laugh at myself for once complaining about 10 minute train delays. Many people from around the world (including lots of yanks) travel around Europe on this Eurotrain network, and it's just fascinating to go from Brussels -> Geneva -> Venice -> Istanbul etc. on these inter-country rail networks.

I have no problem with traveling extensively; hell, I'd love to.
I hear what you're saying (and I also recognize that Europeans get a minimum of 25 days vacation, and Americans on average get 12), but all I was saying is that it becomes pretty impossible when you're settled down, blah blah. At least there might be some glimmer of hope one day to travel before the 'settling down' part of life happens. I can't stress enough just how amazing it is to get a backpack and just hit the road. And if you ever got beyond Europe, Australia is just out of this world....

markgugs said:
I have no problem with traveling extensively; hell, I'd love to. I wish I was a spoiled fucking brat and had zero responsibility. I wish I didn't have to bother with mundane daily bullshit like work and rent. I wish I could make my own hours and work a few months out of the year. Then I'd travel plenty. As it is now, I'm lucky to get away for a few weekends a year. That'll just have to do.

I fuckin hear ya brotha. This is the type of shit I think about all the time and all it does is piss me off more and get me depressed. Work my fuckin' life away w/o ever getting to see the world and enjoy life.

There is a scene in Goodfellas where Pauly & gang are cooking in prison, and Ray Liota narrates the part about slicing garlic with a razor blade to allow it to melt in the oil...that scene alone makes me want to order some ziti and meatballs.