If you're not into metal, then you are not my friend

Post Office is 10 minutes down the road from me. You go through a nice little estate to get to it. It's a nice little walk, I like to have a fag on my way down :)

I grew up with sidewalks. I thought it was common practice throughout America, then I move to The Woodlands, and wutduhyaknow, no sidewalks.

THis causes kids to play in the street CONSTANTLY. But I guess the community had to save money, 'cause you know, money is more important than safety (or getting fat).

Erik said:
but I probably won't get a car for quite some time yet. There's just little need.
No car = no life. Seriously, you can't do shit without a car here, and if you try people think you're a vagrant. I live "close" to several markets, which means 4 miles away.

Erik said:
Here, there's bicycle lanes to everywhere, a developed (though sucky, but if you're used to London Transport I suppose it's paradise) public transit system and sidewalks everywhere too. I'm going to take my driver's license soon but I probably won't get a car for quite some time yet. There's just little need.
Living in England, I didn't own a car until I was 27. And even then, I just used it for the weekend shopping.

London Transport seems like paradise now - I can't believe I used to complain about a train turning up 10 minutes late. Here I'd be lucky to even find a train station.

J. said:
I grew up with sidewalks. I thought it was common practice throughout America, then I move to The Woodlands, and wutduhyaknow, no sidewalks.

THis causes kids to play in the street CONSTANTLY. But I guess the community had to save money, 'cause you know, money is more important than safety (or getting fat).
I hear ya. I stayed at the Marriot Courtyard in The Woodlands for several weeks, which is probably a 10 minute walk to Chevron Phillips. Since there were no sidewalks, I had to rent a car. That meant, I had a car rental for an entire week and drove it for approx. 60 seconds a day, each way.

Alternatively, I could walk through the long grass and mosquito nests that ran alongside the road (in place of actual paving).

There are sidewalks here, but the new trend seems to be only on one side of the street, which is kinda weird. At least there's a shitload of trees and plants everywhere, not full sterile industrial crap like most of Los Angeles (just yet).

JayKeeley said:
I hear ya. I stayed at the Marriot Courtyard in The Woodlands for several weeks, which is probably a 10 minute walk to Chevron Phillips. Since there were no sidewalks, I had to rent a car. That meant, I had a car rental for an entire week and drove it for approx. 60 seconds a day, each way.

Alternatively, I could walk through the long grass and mosquito nests that ran alongside the road (in place of actual paving).
This has since been remedied. You wouldn't even recognize that area now. They are going for a more no-need-to-go-to-Houston-for-a-good-time look. Tons and tons of stores, restaurants, and they're currently building a mini-Riverwalk (if you've been to San Antonio, you'll know) complete with those little boats.

J. said:
This has since been remedied. You wouldn't even recognize that area now. They are going for a more no-need-to-go-to-Houston-for-a-good-time look. Tons and tons of stores, restaurants, and they're currently building a mini-Riverwalk (if you've been to San Antonio, you'll know) complete with those little boats.
That sounds cool. Looks like you made a good investment if the area keeps building up at this rate, especially with a riverwalk, etc.

Erik said:
The THR guy is just about the easiest person ever to deal with. Fast as fuck, gives you stuff for free, ships before he gets payment, packs well, great prices... I don't have a single negative thing to say.
Absolutely. I once ordered some shit from evilmusic.com and thr the same day. The fucking THR package was at my house in 6 days, and they ship from Sweden. Evil Music was shipping from Virginia. The state RIGHT NEXT TO ME. If I lived in Scandinavia I'd probably order items from THR every other day.

speaking of good shops etc; i found this on a finish distro, really nice of them to be that honest :)

SURTURS LOHE (Ger) - Vor Walvaters thron LP '04, 5 EUR
-German pagan NS metal, excrement... we can´t lie to you - this is crap!

spaffe said:
speaking of good shops etc; i found this on a finish distro, really nice of them to be that honest :)

SURTURS LOHE (Ger) - Vor Walvaters thron LP '04, 5 EUR
-German pagan NS metal, excrement... we can´t lie to you - this is crap!
:lol:

Black Winter Day said:
thr is Total Holocaust, no? they have ONE HELL of a selection. when i get some more money, it is likely that most of it will go to these guys. :cool:
Subscribe to their newsletter... They get around 5-15 new items every day.

Demonspell said:
Manhattan may be one of the few places left in America where it's perfectly possible to get through the day without a car...
And yet 85% of people who work there drive into the city through the bottle-necked bridges and tunnels. Unbelievable.

Best part of LA Story: Steve Martin gets in his car and drives in a straight line to the house next door, about 15 feet away. :tickled:

JayKeeley said:
London Transport seems like paradise now - I can't believe I used to complain about a train turning up 10 minutes late. Here I'd be lucky to even find a train station.
I don't mean to cross hairs or anything, but the Suffern train station is a less than 5 minute walk from your house, and on one of the most major NJ Transit lines there is in northern NJ/southern NY. It doesn't get a whole lot easier. Just sayin' is all.