Why Smart People Suicide

Satanstoenail said:
Depression is a very complex and misunderstood disorder. People who have had all their dreams come true and have reached all their goals in life kill themselves. It's a great shame, but until there is a better understanding of depression and how to treat it, it will continue to claim lives.

And I think this will only come with advances in neuroscience. Only when we understand why the brain works the way it does, and what chemicals are causing said person to remain depressed, will we be able to treat them. Pscyhology if you ask me, has only made matters for such people, worse.

And lets also remember the nature of the world today. Thats still a factor; thats why this thread was made. Perhaps even after this success, said suicide still found the world to be empty and meaningless, and thus life unbearable. Can druQs ever cure such a feeling?

Why is dru-gs being censored? I can write fuck, heroin, etc, but I cant write dru-gs?

Satanstoenail said:
Depression is a very complex and misunderstood disorder. People who have had all their dreams come true and have reached all their goals in life kill themselves. It's a great shame, but until there is a better understanding of depression and how to treat it, it will continue to claim lives.

All I have to say to this is that Depression is cureable, I can cure it without any form of medication. Where it is proven that Depression is an imbalance of jucies in the brain, All one has to do is change those jucies and keep the good ones and the thoughts that bring you good feelings and a different perspective of their situation.

Can someone tell you when they know they are suppose to be depressed? Would they know if they are depressed while they are sleeping? HOw long in the morning does it take before they think they are depressed? Questions like these can give you some very valuable info even if you didn't realize it.

In many cases the depression starts as failed expectations, either of themselves in society, or goals/ideals of what they have. Its no wonder the messages we are constantly being bombarded with cause so many people to become depressed.

There is a link between creative genius and mental illness. Scientists have known for a long time that the most creative individuals have a far higher rate of manic depression (bipolar disorder) than average.

Using personality and temperament tests, it has been statistically shown that even mentally healthy artists have more personality traits in common with sufferers of manic depression than they do with healthy non-artist people. It is probably that they have more emotional range.

Intelligent people do often feel like outcasts because praise and appreciation are given mainly to those who fit in with society, whereas those who see the flaws in society, and refuse to be corrupted into conformity, feel misunderstood and undervalued. These feelings, when combined with a tendency towards manic depression, must seriously increase the chance of suicide. Clinical depression is resistant to rational thought. It is not something one can be simply snapped out of - unlike what most people call "depression", which is just feeling down temporarily.

speed said:
Why is dru-gs being censored? I can write fuck, heroin, etc, but I cant write dru-gs?
I made a rather interesting post in the Chat section on this issue... Okay, it wasn't really interesting, so much as me just listing as many profane words as I possibly can. I don't think it would be a very good idea to copy and paste it here though.

One thing they should stop doing IMO is handing out medication to every single person who'se depressed. Depression is something that can't be cured by medication. It's something that can only be resolved by coming to terms with whatever it is that brought upon said depression, and dealing with it head-on. That's how I got myself out of a huge streak of depression this past Spring. I looked at myself, questioned what was wrong with me, and did something about it. If more people could do that, then maybe Depression wouldn't be nearly as big of a problem as it seem sto be.

Ptah Khnemu said:
One thing they should stop doing IMO is handing out medication to every single person who'se depressed. Depression is something that can't be cured by medication. It's something that can only be resolved by coming to terms with whatever it is that brought upon said depression, and dealing with it head-on.

the problem with that is people with serious depression have no motivation to do so, which is why the medication is used alongside some kind of talk therapy.

Ptah Khnemu said:
One thing they should stop doing IMO is handing out medication to every single person who'se depressed. Depression is something that can't be cured by medication. It's something that can only be resolved by coming to terms with whatever it is that brought upon said depression, and dealing with it head-on. That's how I got myself out of a huge streak of depression this past Spring. I looked at myself, questioned what was wrong with me, and did something about it. If more people could do that, then maybe Depression wouldn't be nearly as big of a problem as it seem sto be.

I agree that antidepressants don't really work - I've had several friends take them and they either just mask the problem for a while or fuck them up further. And on top of that they actually change the persons brain chemistry - one friend who took them was like a completely different person the whole time he was on them. Although I'm sure they've worked for some people.

Ptah Khnemu, that's great that you were able to confront your problem head-on and beat it. But the problem is everyone's different. What worked for you may or may not work for someone else. A lot of people are unable to identify the heart of the problem, and thus are unable to treat it correctly. A "one method for all" solution just isn't gonna happen.

I took Prozac for like 2 weeks, but I started actually hearing voices in my head, so I stopped.

Omnis_Sathanas said:

That was a very interesting link.

Ptah - you were right to stop taking the medecine. You clearly have a really strong mental attitude and can get over things without resorting to d**gs. It is supposedly the case that the level of cheerfulness we have seems to be a strong personality trait. Studies have found that when someone who has a tendency to have a negative and unhappy outlook on life even wins a large amount of money, their mood only lifts temporarily before going back to their normal state. On the other hand a naturally cheerful person is quick to return to their cheerful state even after something very bad has happened to them. I think personally that the negative person could become more cheerful if they wanted to. But then there are some people who actually enjoy being unhappy - ironically!

Ptah Khnemu said:
I took Prozac for like 2 weeks, but I started actually hearing voices in my head, so I stopped.

lmao dude that sounds pretty random. considering it takes like a month for anything active in SSRI's to build up to effective levels hearing voices was probably psychosomatic or some shit.

but f'real, prozac seems to be one of the fuckin worst SSRI's (not just from anecdote but the placebo tests too)

Intelligence, up to a point, is positively correlated with social skills, but extremely high intelligence, such as +3 SD and up, seems to invert the correlation. Therefore, extremely intelligent people are prone to isolation. I am not sure why this correlation is. It could be that there is an intrinsic connection or that the highly intelligent are so very different from others that interacting becomes difficult; like a person of average intelligence in a world of retards.

Demiurge said:
Intelligence, up to a point, is positively correlated with social skills, but extremely high intelligence, such as +3 SD and up, seems to invert the correlation.

Social skills place a premium on telling popular half-truths while anyone smart recognizes that getting as close as possible to reality ("truth") is more important than anything else.

Thus, if someone says, "Does this make me look fat?" a high intelligence case may mistakenly answer "Not particularly, but you appear to be 28.2 pounds over normal for your height, age and race," and get slapped and spend the night alone.

infoterror said:
Social skills place a premium on telling popular half-truths while anyone smart recognizes that getting as close as possible to reality ("truth") is more important than anything else.

Thus, if someone says, "Does this make me look fat?" a high intelligence case may mistakenly answer "Not particularly, but you appear to be 28.2 pounds over normal for your height, age and race," and get slapped and spend the night alone.

"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook." - William James

gotta wonder if there's some value in that even though it sounds on the face of it like saying ignorance is a strength

Seditious said:
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook." - William James

Brilliant quote here. I've had a running argument with infoterror, of who cares if there are stupid and poor people? Who will perform all of the duties of manual labor, man the low skiled service industry? Shall we import more mexicans as the Germans imported Turks? I think thats a terrible idea.

But whats worse than a intelligent person, working in McDonalds? I've done some terrible jobs, and I cant imagine the existential crises that would occur with such jobs, if the whole population was smart.

speed said:
Brilliant quote here. I've had a running argument with infoterror, of who cares if there are stupid and poor people? Who will perform all of the duties of manual labor, man the low skiled service industry? Shall we import more mexicans as the Germans imported Turks? I think thats a terrible idea.

But whats worse than a intelligent person, working in McDonalds? I've done some terrible jobs, and I cant imagine the existential crises that would occur with such jobs, if the whole population was smart.

What is inherently wrong with working at a McDonalds or sweeping floors? The media fucks with you mentally by telling you that you are a failure if you pick fruit in a field instead of being a doctor or lawyer.

My point? The only thing that matters is that you contribute to a society. The Garbage man is just as important as the Doctor because functionality is the only thing that is important, and each need eachother to perform for each to do their job.