Will Martin Lopez be on this tour?

baarg said:
There has been a lot of speculation on the "Lopez situation" but nothing in concrete from the band.

I agree.

With all due respect to Martin Lopez and the rest of the band
and with REAL concern about his personal situation whichever
it is right now...

An official statement would stop all this speculation
AND stop the anxiety that the fans feel right now!

Mind you, it has been like 6 months or so since he didn't appear
(the Stockholm gig?).

No one person could take the place of Lopez. Maybe 2 or 3 drummers to catch all his fills. Although when I saw them at the house of blues in L.A.
Axe nailed baying of the hounds, well, almost.

MasterOLightning said:
I wouldn't say that Axe sucked, but I agree that some songs (When) needed to be just a bit faster.

Honestly, I think Axe is doing a great job of filling in. When they came through Atlanta on the last tour I didn't notice any fuckups/slowdowns on any of the songs.

I taped When from Peter's Solo on for the rest of the song. It's from a digital camera but you can see that Axe is spot-on with this song. If anyone wants the video IM me on kraqqer (AIM).

I think Axe deserves more credit than he is getting. I mean of course everyone wants Lopez to come back because it's his spot in the band and he is "THE" Opeth drummer, but Axe is giving it his all. This is based on what I saw and heard on the Atlanta show (Nov. 8).

Axe is a great drummer. I spoke to Dan Swano at an Opeth gig and he thought Axe was better than Lopez, also for Opeth. I don't agree. Lopez has a kind of looseness and freedom in his drumming that Opeth just needs. Especially on a new album. I think Axe can nail everything Lopez does, but I have my doubts wether he can make a new album as interesting as Lopez would.

It's not that he is just not Lopez, he's definitly not as dynamic as good ol'L! Especially the comparison between recent live versions and the Lamentations-version of CLOSURE shows the difference alot.

I would love to see Akiro Jimbo take the reigns behind the kit if for some horrible reason Martin could not tour again. (Notice I say tour, I still would want him to record with Opeth.) He is Martin Lopez favorite drummer/musician. Check it out on Martin's Biography on the second page of his profile on the Opeth site.

If you do not know who Akiro Jimbo is, click here.

Check out his videos there. You will be amazed.:headbang:

Liquid Diamonds said:
Yeah, awesome as Akira Jimbo would appear to be (and probably the most suitable of the suggested drummers so far), he doesn't strike me as much of a metal head...

bashing away at "Deliverance" or "Baying of the Hounds". The man has sick talent. As far as fit... think about this. Terry Bozzio was in "Missing Persons", and later in his career was in Fantomas. Definately two ends of the musical spectrum.

Take away the pink shirt and tie, throw some leather on him, and go for it in the case that Martin cannot tour. Maybe they will get a huge following in Japan because of it. LOL:loco:

Lol, fair enough. I don't mean that he doesn't look like he should be in Opeth though. i don't really think 'Peth are that image based. i mean, from what I read, he doesn't seem to be that interested in metal. He definately has the skills though!