Will probably buy an new audio interface - MOTU or RME?

Heabow

More cowbell!
Aug 24, 2011
France
Hi,

I started a thread anout that months ago but I change my mind a little and I have now more cash in my pocket. So I'd like to have opinions about my two choices: MOTU 896 Mk3 Hybrid and RME FF800.

I know that the FF800 is great. The MOTU seems to be really practical to work with, it's a good one but I read that some users don't like it. My question is mainly about preamps, converters and stability. I work on iMac OSX (ML), PT10.

Thank you.

You didn't say what your requirements are in terms of how many preamps you need. I would suggest to have a look at the Steinberg UR44. It's fairly new and it has been said by several people who had one that the UR44 is the best sounding interface under one grand. The preamps are designed by Yamaha and are the same as in the MR816 and while the converters are not exactly the same as in the MR816 series they appear to sound just as good. Most people seem to prefer the MR816 over any RME interface for sound quality.

I Will only use RME because I have in the last 6 years not had one glitch with that company's products.

It's a matter of keeping your studio machine running at all times.

Not saying other companies can't do the same, but RME is solid.

I own the 896 mk3 hybrid. I love it. Pre amps seem clean and the converters are nice. The one thing I didn't care for is the dsp precessing on the mix software because you can't remove it after audio was recorded with it on. It's probably useful but I was always to nervous to use an EQ or compressor tracking and lock myself into it.

You didn't say what your requirements are in terms of how many preamps you need. I would suggest to have a look at the Steinberg UR44. It's fairly new and it has been said by several people who had one that the UR44 is the best sounding interface under one grand. The preamps are designed by Yamaha and are the same as in the MR816 and while the converters are not exactly the same as in the MR816 series they appear to sound just as good. Most people seem to prefer the MR816 over any RME interface for sound quality.

i have the ur824 and would definitely recommend it. pres are great and never had any issues with stability/drivers whatsoever:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...g&matchtype=&gclid=CMG3t-Gs274CFaZlOgodtiwAsg

I did research when I bought mine and most people suggested if you work PC get the RME if you for Mac get the MOTU.
This isn't really true anymore, you get the exact same functionality and stability on both Mac and Windows, and they frequently update the drivers for both systems. It's possible they lagged behind concerning OS X sometime in the past but I've been using RME interfaces on Macs since 2009 and haven't run into any problems or so far.

I have had all 3 firewire of the MOTU 828 series (828, 828mkII, 828mk3 firewire) and they have been extremely stable and served me well for at least 5 years of nearly daily use. They also still all work together if I need additional inputs.

Compared to Presonus, RME, Steinberg, Focusrite, Avid, etc. that I have used for portable use, borrowed, used at other studios, etc. They are mostly a side step in converter quality, so I wouldn't sweat that too much.

MOTU has been really stable for me and I really like how there are no weird limitations. All IO is independently accessible and always available. No shared headphone/main out, no SPDIF dropped when using reverb (Steinberg) etc. They also support SMPTE for tape machines if you are going that route.

The mk3's use the same base mic pre-amp as the UA Apollo (TI PGA2500). It is very clean and sounds surprisingly good. The built-in FX are good but you only get them on ins or outs. So you are either printing them, or using them on an output for like an external mixer. But the reverb doesn't print and you can print it on a separate track which is really nice.

If you have any interest in an 828mk3 firewire, I am selling mine. I have been extremely happy with it, but I have decided to go MADI and either Orion or SSL... which is probably really the only step up IMO. I do have a Mytek 96k converter, and it is better and more open and natural, but it definitely does NOT blow the MOTU away. Anyway PM me if interested.

Thanks guys for all the good informations. I'll certainly go for Motu then.

@Aortizjr: I plan to buy one in a month or so. I'd tend to pick up the 896 but I'll contact you if needed :) Thanks for your input!

This isn't really true anymore, you get the exact same functionality and stability on both Mac and Windows, and they frequently update the drivers for both systems. It's possible they lagged behind concerning OS X sometime in the past but I've been using RME interfaces on Macs since 2009 and haven't run into any problems or so far.

I was just speaking on my experience at the time I bought it which was a few years ago. I am sure things have changed, as you said. One thing about MOTU though, I heard their customer service is horrible. I have never used it though.

I have a MOTU 828 MK3 and changed to a profire 2626. Better AD convertion.
Before you go with motu search for "motu 828 flashing screen". That issue is really PITA

I had an 828mkII and it died with the flashing screen shit a few months out of warranty, they shipped me a "new" one for about $150 but the unit I received had rack rash so was clearly a refurb. Sold it on and that one died on the chap I sold it to a few months later under the same circumstances.

+1 to profire 2626's. Had a pair of them running flawlessly for over 5 years or so now, still use them for mobile recording and such, never had a single problem with either.

Im surprised we are comparing RME with Motu interfaces. The RME preamps are very boring and plain but they work, i wouldnt be surprised if the Motu pres initially will sound "better". I do like the way the RME preamps sit in a mix though, very usable. For stability and hassle free operation, I love the RME. Plus totalmix is amazing. Long time Fireface 800 user myself.