Will they ever do a mellow album like "Damnation" again?

i think they will. they say they won't but mikael is always experimenting with different things and his tastes change overtime. i say yes! i hope so.

I HOPE NOT!

I want songs like "Blackwater Park" or "Serenity Painted Death" back.

PS: And if you feel you have to flame now, go swallow some C4!

Ehh.. I dont really want Opeth to take a step back at all. Which is why I love watershed so much, its very new and fresh.

Mike has said that they won't several times, including the interview I did with him during the GR tour. But who knows. Personally I wouldn't mind it since I really adore "Damnation"; in fact I'm sure I'd love it as long as the album shows a different, innovative approach.

As I said before, I wouldn't really bet all my money on what Mike said before. He said quite a few things which turned out to be different.

I really doubt it. I was listening to an interview with Mike from about 2 years ago that the old hosts of my radio show did and he was asked that same question. He said that it would feel like they're copying themselves and rehashing old material so they'll never do an all-soft album again. There will always be soft parts in Opeth songs but Damnation was just an experiment to them.

Probably not. As much as I love that album, I don't know how much I'd like another one even if they did do it. Damnation is among my more listened to Opeth albums, though. It's my "drivin' back home" album.

under the opeth name..no. but i can definitly see mike doing a solo record one day.

under the opeth name..no. but i can definitly see mike doing a solo record one day.

I would enjoy this immensely.

I would also love to see Opeth do another mellow album but have it be more similair to A Fair Judgement kind of blend with heavier distorted guitars, clean vocals and a generally more laid back approach. That way they could write new, original material without seemingly recycling Damnation.

Yeah, I was going to say he'd probably do it as a solo record. I really wonder what it would sound like after sampling the direction of Watershed...

I'm sort of looking forward to at least one more ridiculously heavy album, like Deliverance or something.

Damnations agreat album, but I like the Fair Judgement idea. I wouldn't want to hear that style recycled, obviously, but there is a lot that can be done with that sound. It's super versatile, especially with the creative genious of Mike and Co.

Just as some one else said: Opeth can do whatever they want. I think it would be a huge challenge for them to sound bad...except maybe Eternal Soul Torture, because that really is torture!!!:zombie:

I guess it's only the recording ;). I pretty appreciate Damnation, but what I'd like to hear right now is something much more aggresive, like Deliverance or Blackwater Park. I know it won't happen yet, though. I'm seeing Opeth's progression and it tells me it's not going to happen soon.