Opeths mellow songs...

Gunhaver said:
damnation mellow songs are more structured with the standard verse-chorus-verse style of music, but the older mellow songs are usually either just interludes or just as structure-free as any other opeth song

How can To Bid You Farewell be an interlude when its the last song? Doesn't that just leave 2 others, which arn't even 'songs' before you get into the likes of Face Of Melinda, a fantastic standalone song? Am i the only one that thinks Benighted is....well....lame? Dont the majority of post-MAYH songs have structure, such as, say, Bleak or AFJ? WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?!?!

Maybe it's just 'cos I'm an OLD fart that I really like Opeth's mellow stuff. I'm old enough to remember, appreciate and like the 70's prog rock that inspires the mellow half of Opeth. I like their heavier stuff too, mind, although I've never really got my head round the roar, which JUST stops me from reaching spontaneous orgasm from listening to their choons! :headbang:

cityofthemoon666 said:
after a while i realised that by a mellow album they were breaking away from their popular writing style and trying to EXPLORE their mellow roots not replicate what they had already done, this said i believe that no a collection of songs like Harvest would nto be better, you can burn one at home, what opeth did was a bold move and created something different

I agree with that.

I made a compilation just last week. I didn't try to arrange the songs a certain way in order for it to flow better (lazy I am) so I just went right down the line with all the non-growling tunes...

Silhouette
Requiem
To Bid You Farewell
Prologue
Madrigal
Credence
Epilogue
Rmember Tomorrow
Benighted
Face of Melinda
Harvest
Pattern in the Ivy
A Fair Judgement
For Absent Friends

I did this only because I heard that they are not going to be releasing another album that is similar to Damnation (which I love) so I wanted to compile their softer songs so I would have another cd to mellow out to.

Well, I don't regret doing it because it was fun putting them all together like this but to tell you the truth, I prefer these songs arranged how they are supposed/meant to be in all their albums. Like most say here and considering how these songs are structured, it just flows better.