Whats Next?

Sathane

New Metal Member
May 31, 2002
Solihull, England
www.sathane.vze.com
So, they have done a heavy album, and now a mellow album, so what is next?

In a interview in the Metro (crappy newspaper free on public transport in UK) there was an interview with Mikael, which surprised me. He said how Damnation will be the most mainstream record they will ever release. He was then asked what he wants to do next, he responded...

"Something really heavy and evil sounding."
Could it be Opeth going Necro-Black Metal on the next album? I personally think this would be fucking cool. Something like Annal Nathrakh would be an amazing leap from the chilled out Damnation, and would sure hit the new fans in the face.

What are your thoughts? What would you like to hear next?
My vote is some filthy black necro

OR

A Jazz Oddessy ala Spinal Tap :D (The Martin's tried it at B'ham!)

yeah that would be great, something like the ''die on your knees'' on the third anaal song. hey i saw 2 new anaal albums in HMV the other day, ones a HMV Recommends cd, wow, how good is that, cheap price (well too exspensive for me still) and a crappy free playlist cd. if Mikael could growl like the anaal bloke that would sound great, not on all the songs mind, but still, wow.

Naw I don't want Opeth to go into a black metal direction..Heavy, yes, growls yes..Maybe some death grind with majestic acoustic interludes, and blast beats..The heavier the better.. -l- Annal Nathrakh rule btw..:headbang:

I think it would be cool for them to do something like Camel and release an all-instrumental progressive album that alternates between heavy riffs (with an emphasis on sort of like those Godhead's Lament kind of high-notes over the heavy stuff) and their usual lighter material on all their pre-Damnation albums, only extended to greater lengths with spacey solos...

"Something really heavy and evil sounding."

need there more to be said? Anything Mikael does is awesome. I remember Mikael saying that when they first got together he wanted to make the most evil and darkest music anybody had ever heard; and we got shit like Forest of October, and fuck, that kicks ass! So really you could say it's something with a touch from their roots.

When I heard Deliverance for the first time, I was blown away. Mikael said it was their heaviest album they'd ever done; some on these forums (if not MOST) said that this wasn't true, but I beg to differ. When I heard Masters Apprentices, I was blown the fuck away. That is a HEAVY sound, and the trippy part is that the song is standard tuning, not dropped d or anything (from a guitarists perspective); yet he achieved the heaviest sound I had ever heard with standard tuning. The vocals are more brutal and blistering than BWP, imho. So this is the heavy that Mikael is messing with now.

Mix this heavy with evil, and we have the future direction of Opeth. And to be honest, this sounds fucking great. Mikael doesn't seem to continually dilute the music, it just keeps going, and going, and it changes. Darker and heavy are definitely what I want to hear. When I say that, I'm not talking like the conventional black metal style, that's not Opeth, it's not Mikael's way. Trust me, when Mikael hashes out the new shit, we'll all see that it's still Opeth. Not only is it still Opeth, but it will perhaps create a paradigm in congruence with the word "perfection" and "progression" :).

DemonOfTheFall said:
That is a HEAVY sound, and the trippy part is that the song is standard tuning, not dropped d or anything (from a guitarists perspective); yet he achieved the heaviest sound I had ever heard with standard tuning. The vocals are more brutal and blistering than BWP,

Yes, it's true-uh...kin uh git a witness?!

DemonOfTheFall said:
When I heard Deliverance for the first time, I was blown away. Mikael said it was their heaviest album they'd ever done; some on these forums (if not MOST) said that this wasn't true, but I beg to differ.
Yeah, I have to agree... Lots of people claim that MY ARMS, YOUR HEARSE is the heaviest album they've done, but I think DELIVERANCE has the slight edge... A lot of it has to do with Mikael's brutal vocals, IMO...

Won't it be funny to hear all the bitching and whining from post-Damnation bandwagon jumpers...

here's a sampling of the posts to come in 2004 (or whenever they get around to making a new album):
"This group went from great to shit in just 2 albums"

"I hate this growly vocals shit, opeth suck now, their last album damnation was awesome i haven't heard their older stuff but this new stuff SUXXX"

"Why did they release this CRAP album they should have kept the clean singing this is SHITE"

"opeth used 2 suxors da last album wit clean vocals was lame bt this album ROOLZ"
Gee, I can't wait!

NP: The ringing in my ears.

I sincerely hope not ....if i wanna listen to Anaal i'll put on Anaal ....I'd rather prefer Opeth to stay Opeth. I'm all for another heavy album, as long as they pull it off nicely and it still sounds like them and not some second rate overrated,drum machine blasting, necr0 ,pseudo black metal band

I think it'll be another similar album...the band said that Deliverance would be their haviest album, but I don't think it is up to now. For me Deliverance is as havier as the others with some little differences...So, if Mikael says that the next will be brutal, I really can't expect so much or trust in his words.

As long as the don't eat people alive and slaughter people in their lyrics just to praise Satan, it's ok with me.

The best would be something like BWP or MAYH. (My opinion)

I think Gargo's post is interesting. A more 70's proggy mostly instrumental album with guest vocals from Dan Swano would be amazing. Imagine and Dan and Mikael exchanging vocals like they did on Crimson, just not death vocals, all clean this time--stuff that would suit the mellow songs.

Though since Akerfeldt said it will have to something really heavy... :)

NP: Opeth - My Arms Your Hearse