Whats Next?

I made a post several weeks ago, but I'm too lazy to search for it right now. It was an interview with Mikael. Based on that interview, I think what's next is four tired guys taking a break, and exploring some solo efforts.

Ther is a potentail that time may be Opeth's enemy. One never knows, but the chance does exist at this stage that while exploring solo stuff, that there could possibly be no more Opeth albums.

i want something like a return to the twin guitars but with opeths new sound. something that just dominates, with elite riffs and solos.

i just want something that is kinda a fair bit different then the last few albums.

something that returns to the roots.... but that just blows them outta the water!

ok stop dreaming now jester!

I'd be interested to hear the "black metal" CD, but we almost had that with Orchid. I'd like to hear another MAYH with some much darker tones and a better bass mix.

If Damnation is the most mainstream thing they'll ever release, then the mainstream might actually be infiltrated with something worth buying rather than that cursed Korn or Limp Dick/Kid Cock shit!

I heard in passing that one reported said Opeth is the next Led Zeppelin. What a fucking compliment, even though I'm not huge into Zep.

The next OPETH volume will (hopefully succesfully) mix their "roots" (twin guitar progressive composing like on 'Orchid' and 'Morningrise') with their newer, more riff-oriented compositions ('Blackwater Park' and 'Deliverance'). The result is going to be the ultimate Opeth album.

They're going to release a 2 CD album of covers next
Followed by a live cd with a symphony orchestra

i don't know if anyone else has noticed this... but their releases have followed an oddly similar pattern to metallicas

Metallica - Kill Em All
Opeth - Orchid
Both ambitious, original albums... but still not very well focused

Metallica - Ride the lightning
Opeth - Morningrise
Improvement on the sound from the previous album.
Somewhat controversially introduces ballad - Fade to Black / To Bid You Farewell

Metallica - Master of Puppets
Opeth - MAYH
Their heaviest, darkest works.

Metallica - ...And Justice for all
Opeth - Still Life
A bit more progressive and complex than the previous album. New Bass Player. Starting to get attention.

Metallica - The Black Album
Opeth - Blackwater Park
The big breakthrough albums. More song-orientated. Both have black in the name.

Metallica - Load and Reload
Opeth - Deliverance and Damnation
Partner albums, recorded in same sessions. Explored both more mellow and heavier ground than the previous album.

so, you see, for the trend to continue, Opeth have to release an equivalent to Garage Inc

Timmy said:
They're going to release a 2 CD album of covers next
Followed by a live cd with a symphony orchestra

i don't know if anyone else has noticed this... but their releases have followed an oddly similar pattern to metallicas

Metallica - Kill Em All
Opeth - Orchid
Both ambitious, original albums... but still not very well focused

Metallica - Ride the lightning
Opeth - Morningrise
Improvement on the sound from the previous album.
Somewhat controversially introduces ballad - Fade to Black / To Bid You Farewell

Metallica - Master of Puppets
Opeth - MAYH
Their heaviest, darkest works.

Metallica - ...And Justice for all
Opeth - Still Life
A bit more progressive and complex than the previous album. New Bass Player. Starting to get attention.

Metallica - The Black Album
Opeth - Blackwater Park
The big breakthrough albums. More song-orientated. Both have black in the name.

Partner albums, recorded in same sessions. Explored both more mellow and heavier ground than the previous album.

so, you see, for the trend to continue, Opeth have to release an equivalent to Garage Inc
Hah, clever and interesting link.
zombie.gif

You're likely to get badly flamed for comparing Deliverance and Damnation to Load and Reload though, heh.

@ Timmy - I see how you cold compare Opeth and Metallica, but Why? Opeth is a blossoming giant with incredible possibility. Metallica is a rotting corpse that stinks so bad, that only more stinking bands will pay to be around them. Opeth may take a small break, however, they will be producing excellent side projects. Metallica was stifled by Hetfield's jealousy of the other player's talents. Too bad Cliff was not alive. I think he would have risen up and delivered a hell of an ASSWHOOPIN' on James.

That point definitely does not hold up for obvious reasons :)

meh, its not like I was that serious about it
I just thought it was oddly similar

but yeah, I wasn't really comparing the quality of Load and Reload and Deliverance and Damnation ... mainly just that there was the double album thing happening

COnsiderateApathy said:
Won't it be funny to hear all the bitching and whining from post-Damnation bandwagon jumpers...

here's a sampling of the posts to come in 2004 (or whenever they get around to making a new album):
"This group went from great to shit in just 2 albums"

"I hate this growly vocals shit, opeth suck now, their last album damnation was awesome i haven't heard their older stuff but this new stuff SUXXX"

"Why did they release this CRAP album they should have kept the clean singing this is SHITE"

"opeth used 2 suxors da last album wit clean vocals was lame bt this album ROOLZ"
Gee, I can't wait!

NP: The ringing in my ears.
/forum/images/smilies/lol.gif

I await that day with baited breath. Also, I wonder how many Damnation bandwagoners there will be? I hope theres alot so they can all go insane when he starts growling on the next release...

firedevil.gif