Opeths mellow songs...

theguitargod

New Metal Member
May 24, 2004
Hello people,

Here is an original ( i think) topic for y'all..

Imagine a fictional Opeth album which consists of every mellow song they have ever recorded not including the damnation stuff... (eg harvest, face of melinda etc...)

Now would this album be better than Damnation?

I vote yes!

The album itself wouldn't be very cohesive. You'd have a track like Requiem and Silhouette followed by Face of Melinda or Epilogue and it just wouldn't work.

Individually, however, yes I think an old compilation of mellow tracks would run circles around Damnation.

I'm not sure.

An album of their pre-Damnation mellow songs wouldn't flow at all, like Moonlapse said. Not only that, they would probably make a very boring album. On the previous albums, the all-mellow tracks served as a quiet break on an otherwise heavy album ("To Bid You Farewell" is a quiet climax, "Credence" is a heartbreaking interlude, etc.) They fit within the context of their respective albums, but grouped altogether... it just won't be right.

Anyway... I love all the pre-Damnation acoustic tracks, and I love all of Damnation. They're very different, but I think Damnation HAD to be different to be more interesting, if that makes sense. Besides, I think "Windowpane" just may be their best mellow track.

Agreed, all of their previous melllow songs had served as interludes... but not "To Bid You Farewell" I rekon. That's a standalone track, much more than just an interlude or outro.

I made a compilation like this once, and it was VERY boring. I like each of the songs individually, but there's something missing. You have to be in a very particular mood to listen to them all in a row like that.

how about suggesting a tracklist?...
I'm going to use a track or two from damnation altough to answer the point i do think opeth's earlier mellow tracks were far better.

Best of Mellow Opeth

1 Patterns in the Ivy
2 Harvest
3 Face of Melinda
4 Windowpane
5 Credence
6 Still Day Beneath the Sun
7 To Bid you Farewell
8 Benighted
9 Patterns in the Ivy 2
10 Hope Leaves
11 Epilogue
12 A Fair Judgement

I think damnation tracks differ from the other mellow songs. the other mellow songs (which are not included in the damnation) are more acoustic, consist less keyboards.

I would say :

- face of melinda
- Closure
- to bid you farewell

uhmm...well then I would switch to some real death metal tracks :D

KevyCanavan said:
how about suggesting a tracklist?...
I'm going to use a track or two from damnation altough to answer the point i do think opeth's earlier mellow tracks were far better.

Best of Mellow Opeth

1 Patterns in the Ivy
2 Harvest
3 Face of Melinda
4 Windowpane
5 Credence
6 Still Day Beneath the Sun
7 To Bid you Farewell
8 Benighted
9 Patterns in the Ivy 2
10 Hope Leaves
11 Epilogue
12 A Fair Judgement

What the fuck is A Fair Judgement doing on that list? (else it's cool
:) )

IAmEternal said:
I made a compilation like this once, and it was VERY boring. I like each of the songs individually, but there's something missing. You have to be in a very particular mood to listen to them all in a row like that.

I would agree to this. I don't think it would be VERY boring though. If I was in the mood, and it was what I needed, then it would suit me just fine. I like how the albums are structured. If I made a cd like this, it would be for one of my "moody" days. May mellow me out a bit.

i've considered making an Opeth lite compilation; I plan on including the acoustic interlude from Black Rose Immortal (actually starting from "eyes attached to your mute portrait..)

great love-makin music

ps. download Porcupine Tree - Phase 1 [perfect pr0n music]

I dont know, I agree that Opeth uses most mellow songs to help calm people. Its a great mixture of heavy and soft.

I also agree that To bid you farewell is a standalone track it is probably one of the tope 3 opeth songs.

i personally think that its good that opeth took a different direction with Damnation. I think everyone was expecting a set of songs like harvest still day beneath the sun etc, i know i was, i was sort of disappointed when i first got damnation but, after a while i realised that by a mellow album they were breaking away from their popular writing style and trying to EXPLORE their mellow roots not replicate what they had already done, this said i believe that no a collection of songs like Harvest would nto be better, you can burn one at home, what opeth did was a bold move and created something different, its not my favorite opeth album, its my least favorite actually but i still love it.

cityofthemoon666 said:
its not my favorite opeth album, its my least favorite actually but i still love it.
How can you say "Damnation" was a sucses when it´s your least fav album? and how can you say other Opeth mellow tracks ala harvest, face of melind etc. wouldn´t have been as good compiled on one album when you think "Damnation" is the least best album?? I´m sorry I don´t understand this sucking up to everything Opeth´s ever made.

ok, i dont make sense ok, i think that opeth were successful in creating an entirely different and experimental album, because the main reason i love opeth is because of the previous 6 albums in the for want of a better saying "normal" opeth sound, damnation i would say is of theopeth albums i have my least favorite in that, i do not listen to it as much etc, i still really enjoy it, and really feel that for me in my opinon that opeth did a good job in creating a great mellow album which was totally differnt, im probably not making any sense but the main fact is that i damnation is still high up in my favorite albums, but of opeth's releases its my least favorite