Will they ever do a mellow album like "Damnation" again?

Don't believe Mikael just because he said Damnation would be a one-time thing. This is the guy that said Ghost Reveries was going to be a "black metal" album.

Still, Damnation would NOT have happened if Deliverance (one of their HEAVIEST albums ever) wasn't being recorded at the same time. It's not in Opeth to just do a all-soft album. If all-soft prog is your thing, there are plenty of bands you can check out.

Ehh.. I dont really want Opeth to take a step back at all. Which is why I love watershed so much, its very new and fresh.

You read this? This is how a true Opethian speaks. Opeth is INCAPABLE of taking a step back in the past, and that is one of their unique qualities.

NONE of their cd's sound the same, so why would you want/expect them to make an album that does? I don't get it.

As for Damnation, I doubt they will produce another album with all clean vocals.

the mistake people make is they differentiate damnation from all other opeth releases simply because it's "all mellow" and while that is true, i think people should focus more on the fucking MUSIC.. personally i think for example MAYH and BWP differentiate as much as damnation and let's say still life differentiate.. It's all groundbreaking music which is above all else, GOOD music. The songs are good.. the style is completely unique. People have to get over the novelty of damnation being different from everything else simply because its all clean. I would personally welcome anything opeth does weather it be completely heavy or completely mellow.
STOP COMPARTMENTALIZING

Another mistake people seem to be making is all the predicting. Yes, I'll admit, they seemed to have reached a peak in heaviness when Deliverance came out, but too many people are just making their minds up right now that Opeth is going soft. Not really. They're just expanding their musical styles and experimenting more, which I have absolutely NO problem with. I expect it from a band that can be as diverse as Opeth. They haven't lost the heavines, it's just not in every song. Heir Apparent is absolutely CRUSHING, but Porcelain Heart isn't as heavy. The Lotus Eater is very experimental. So right there, you have 3 entirely different songs. That's one of the things that keeps me going back for more.

On another note, I think GR was an excellent album. I think a lot of people put it down because they were expecting another Deleiverance or BWP. Well those albums have already come out. More of the same, or no directional/experimental movement causes bands to fizzle out prematurely.

(...Just no techno or electronica or hip-hop, please:rolleyes:...)

I hope Watershed is as close as they come to doing another Damnation... I like both albums ,but prefer the epic heavier stuff.

If they do another mellow album I'd like it to be in the vein of "Still Day Beneath The Sun" and "Patterns In The Ivy 2". In my opinon those two tracks are probably better than most of the tracks on Damnation.

His death vocals won't last forever and he has said that he will always release music under the name of Opeth, so I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually went down that road. While he rapes as a death vocalist, he is still human. But who knows he has said there won't and he would like it to be kept exclusive, but we heard GR was a boarding on bm album. Mike has said that he can't really control what comes out, when he starts writing, which is fair enough, so if a lot of ballads come out, then thats what we will get.

Mike said that they won't, but hopefully they will. If they do, I hope it's more acoustic, songs like the BWP extras, benighted and To Bid You Farewell.

On another note, I think GR was an excellent album. I think a lot of people put it down because they were expecting another Deleiverance or BWP. Well those albums have already come out. More of the same, or no directional/experimental movement causes bands to fizzle out prematurely.

People are expecting another Blackwater Park because this album is just greater than most of the others. Watershed, in comparison (but it's just about tastes...), is such nothing. That's why people are expecting that. They would like to hear something new that has the quality of that album. But Watershed isn't, and Ghost Reveries too. They are way far from it. Who cares, anyway? Opeth will keep making new things, exploring different styles, but personally, I think their quality is decreasing (but we can see that only as a change, too... I don't). I'll keep hoping for an amazing album from them.

I don't wanna hear full death-metal album from Opeth as much I don't wanna hear a full progressive rock album. I love "Damnation" pretty much, but it's one of a kind and I want it to stay one of a kind.

A don't forget that "Damnation" is not a single album - it was written and recorded alongside with "Deliverance". Actually, "Damnation" is just a half of the album. And "Deliverance" too. I think Opeth would'nt ever record "Damnation" if there was no "Deliverance". Opeth cannot be just metal or just prog band.

I think a solo album from Mikael would be awesome. With some added electric leads, lots of keys and all clean vocals. Some of those vocal melodies on the new album are truly amazing.

I don't really care if they make another mellow album. Damnation was awesome, but I'm more than contempt with a couple of songs on each album.

Mike can do what he likes,I still think I'd enjoy it,would think going down that road would be a bit pointless though as it would be going over old territory but I think Mike realises that and that is why he said he won't be doing another Damnation like album.