Wireless for guitar. VHF or UHF?

Jevil

Pro Evolution Fucker
Apr 18, 2006
Basque Country
www.soulitude-web.com
Hi, I'm looking for a wireless system to play on stage. I've noticed that VHF systems are much cheaper than UHF ones, and according to this article there seem not to be any quality difference.
http://www.sweetwater.com/expert-center/techtips/d--06/14/2001

I don't want to spend much money because nowadays I only play live 5 or 6 times and there are only 2 more wireless so it's not gonna be many interferences.

Any suggestion or comment or anything I should know before buying one of those devices?

I'd stay away from VHF.

-VHF systems are fixed frequency so if you are using it in an area that gives you interference your wireless system is useless.

-The FCC is allowing more and more devices to operate in the VHF bands which gives you greater occurrence of interference.

-Most VHF systems are cheap because they are built cheap. Wireless systems have to compress the audio transmission before transmitting to the receiver, and in most VHF systems that compression circuit is horrible. This levels you with more artifacts the more dynamic you play.

-Some companies no longer manufacture VHF systems.

If you live in the United States then google "White Spaces" before you commit to a wireless system. Then I'd call the manufacturer and ask them what they are doing to prepare for the FCC regulations. I work for a company that manufacturers wireless systems so to keep this non-biased I'm going to leave you to do your own research and draw your own conclusions. I will say that the company I work for is ready for the "White Spaces" debacle and is in Washington fighting this. Also, our engineers are working on band expansion and new systems to keep our artists and end users without downtime. BUT I will not say who I work for because I'm not here to promote the companies product...I'm here because I'm into metal and on my own time.

What I will say is that Sweetwater's article is somewhat misleading. VHF sucks!

I won't tell you what brand to get because I do work for a company that makes professional wireless systems. That would be wrong of me...I'm not a gear pimp.

Yes there are issues with UHF as well for that exact reason. Government officials are making it damn difficult.

My best advice would be to call the technical support for a few different companies and ask what their plans are to deal with "white spaces" and the expansion of non-licensed wireless devices. You'll pretty much be left with only two companies that are worth dealing with. The company I work for and our largest competitor.

C'mon Arty, steal one for me!! ;-)

Shure, Samson, AKG, Nady, Audio Technica all seem to be good.

I live in Spain so no idea about government's plans on these things.

My band partners use Shure (diversity) and AKG (single antenna) and both works perfectly but I don't want to spend so much money so I'll dive into second hand market to see if I can fish something.

SHURE. UHF or die! :) you will have to pay a lot though. cheap one eat your high end and genreal quality.

Are you trying to call me out, Kev?

On the contrary Shure PGX, SLX, ULX, and UHF-R all sound indentical theoretically because they compress, transmit, receive, and expand the signal the same way...."Audio Reference Companding." The differences are in the bells 'n' whistles and the amount of systems you can run simultaneously.

I used a higher end audio technica for a few years. Never had an issue with it, aside from having to switch channels for different areas. It was pretty cool, i was able to walk to the corner of my street before the signal started to go bye bye.

@jevil
sorry for being ot, do you know the band legen beltza? they absolutely kick ass

Yes, I know the band they are form a town close to mine and I know them personally 'cause they played with us as supporter when they released their first album. Now I think they have 3 albums out and produced by Jeff Waters. They are huge fans of Annihilator. . Great band, good guys.

Finally I got a new Samson 77 UHF Diversity for 145 $ (106€ +10€ shipping= 116€) on Ebay. I save 84 € because 200€ is what it cost in my local guitarshop.
I hope it works well.

Is it a good device ArtGarceau?