Wireless System (in ears) for a Worldwide use ?

Jan 11, 2011
Hi everyone

I am currently looking into getting a wireless in-ear system on stage (I do guitars and some vocals )

I have been doing a fair bit of research , but I can't seem to find what would be the appropriate system for me since I want to be able to use it pretty much everywhere in the world and available frequency ranges change from country to country !
Over the next 6 months , I'm gonna be playing shows all over Europe (incl UK) , the USA , Australia , Russia . Hopefully South America and Asia at some point later on (I know , I'm lucky ! ) , and I don't want to invest in a system that will not work half of the time ...

From What I've seen on the internet , it may simply just not exist ...
If I have to make a compromise, I'd need it to work properly at least all over europe (UK incl) and the states .

Let me know if anyone knows a solution to my problem

Thanks for your help !

Hi Uros , and thanks for your answer !

I of course have looked up that model since it seems to be an industry standard . But the same model exists for different frenquency ranges , and I need to find which one will be the most suitable for me since I need to be able to use it on various continents , that's where my problem is ....

It would seem that the 863 - 865 band can be use freely in europe (incl.UK) which is awesome , but I can't find anything about using it in the states ?

Different countries have their own rules on what frequencies and transmission strengths can be used. Your best bet is to invest in good earphones and buy a system for the country or region you will most often be in and be prepared to rent a system when traveling if you aren't in a position to include it on a rider.

Hi Uros , and thanks for your answer !

I of course have looked up that model since it seems to be an industry standard . But the same model exists for different frenquency ranges , and I need to find which one will be the most suitable for me since I need to be able to use it on various continents , that's where my problem is ....

It would seem that the 863 - 865 band can be use freely in europe (incl.UK) which is awesome , but I can't find anything about using it in the states ?

There isn't an IEM setup that will work for all ranges. The problem is that the EU/Germany compatible ranges won't work for UK or the US. You would need three separate monitors for each group. You could use the EU/German compatible band monitors, in the US at least at long as broadcasting power stays below 200 feet then you won't have any trouble typically, some of the available channels in the US are on allocated bands for different purposes, as long as you have low power operation you are as a rule of thumb good. The UK on the other hand, not to sure about and you run the risk of being fined if caught.

For world touring you are better off buying a set for each or renting when you are in that region.

It's all a sham. They work wverywhere.

I'm afraid that isn't true. Let's set aside the fact that different countries have their own rules and regulations in regards to what you can use in terms of transmission strength, frequency range, tuning bandwidth, etc. Each area of a given country may be using different chunks of available spectrum. For example, in Dallas, TX they my have television broadcasting on different chunks of spectrum than say Chicago, IL. If you are a touring band with multiple channels of wireless mics plus in-ears you realistically can end up in a situation where your rig works great in one city, but gets spotty in another. Add on top of that the risk that your rig can be illegal in one country, but legal in the next. To go a step further, you'll be fined for using it in one country, your gear can be confiscated, or you could even serve jail time...that's a real risk.

This is why a lot of major acts rent gear when they tour in other parts of the world...especially wireless gear.

Fundamentally, Marsh is right. Any good modern system, legal or not, should be able to find clean space for a couple of channels of wireless. Maybe somebody in some country is constantly monitoring low power rf but even in the 700 band I've never seen anyone say anything stateside. We're talking about devices to be operated for a couple of hours that likely can't penetrate far beyond the building they're in.
I've just seen way too many old illegal us systems and european systems operated without incident in clubs, theaters, convention center, etc. to see a real risk. Obviously if you have the money to have multiple systems or rent then do so, but I'd buy for the country you're in most often and if it doesn't work somewhere else just be prepared to go to a backup plan.

Fundamentally, Marsh is right. Any good modern system, legal or not, should be able to find clean space for a couple of channels of wireless. Maybe somebody in some country is constantly monitoring low power rf but even in the 700 band I've never seen anyone say anything stateside. We're talking about a devices to be operated for a couple of hours that likely can't penetrate far beyond the building they're in.
I've just seen way too many old illegal us systems and european systems operated without incident in clubs, theaters, convention center, etc. to see a real risk.

So the question remains...do you want to plunk down a bunch of money on gear that MIGHT work without issues and PROBABLY won't get confiscated when you go through customs or should you buy something for your local stomping ground, but rent when you tour? If you are gigging at clubs I doubt dropouts will ruffle too many feathers, but you don't have that luxury on a large arena tour. Yes, the better systems out there will actively seek out usable spectrum and hop to clear channels, but those systems are still very much in the minority. I don't know of any IEM systems that do it...only mic/instrument systems.

I understand that you're telling people the correct, safest and legal way to do stuff. What I'm saying-- and I believe Marsh is as well-- is that I know guys that take racks all over the world and use them. And I've worked in theaters that still use big rigs in the 700 space. I've never known anyone to get anything confiscated or actually run into authorities. I've probably watched ten bands use euro IEM's on full US tours w/o issue.

I understand that you're telling people the correct, safest and legal way to do stuff. What I'm saying-- and I believe Marsh is as well-- is that I know guys that take racks all over the world and use them. And I've worked in theaters that still use big rigs in the 700 space. I've never known anyone to get anything confiscated or actually run into authorities. I've probably watched ten bands use euro IEM's on full US tours w/o issue.

My perspective is probably tainted because I'm only talking to people when they are building their rig or when a problem pops up. There are certainly folks flying under the radar without issue...I personally wouldn't feel comfortable doing it...but people do. I'm not trying to be a pain or the voice of dissent. Just my daily experience with the gear. When you are making this type of investment it's best to do so fully understanding the pitfalls.

:kickass:

As I mentioned before it would be difficult to detect low power transmissions inside a building or hell even outdoors. The only way you could get busted anywhere is if it is completely 100% illegal to broadcast at any output power in that band is if someone was at the venue within 300 feet or so (just shy of 100 meters) with a carrier detector, so in reality there would have to be someone from the regulations department specifically out to hunt you down. In most countries that only happens when agencies get multiple complaints of interference from the same culprit and usually takes weeks if not months to get someone out with a detector to find the issue in that area. Some venues though may have detectors in the venue and will shut you down so they don't get into trouble, I can see that most likely happening in places like Germany where the broadcast regulations are extremely strict.

My biggest concern about broadcasting would be having a system that is within a certain range and you are in a country where all those channels are being used or are filled with lots of interference, like its a cellular phone region because if it would be, if that signal is stronger, you now have someone else's phone call in your IEM and not your mix. yeah I'd be worried about having a clear channel every night.

Wow guys , thanks a lot for all those answers !! Really helpful :) !! That's exactly the info I was looking for.

So that's what I thought, even if it's illegal , getting caught using such low power transmission on such a small period of time is very unlikely ... (on most tours we play for about 30minutes a day)

I'm personally gonna go for a Sennheiser ew300 as I have a bit of money on the side and it seems to be a really solid unit. Would seem that G or A range works fine everywhere , at least I've seen a couple of bands using it worldwide without issue .

Now 2 other members from my band have a lower budget , and it would seem from all the reviews I've read that the LD MEI 1000 system (http://www.thomann.de/gb/ld_systems_mei_1000_g2.htm ) works like a charm . Anyone here has used it ?

It operates in the 823 - 832 MHz and 863 - 865 MHz bands, which is license free for europe / UK . American guys , what do you know about those frequency bands in the states ? I read a lot about the 700MHz ban , but can't find anything about the 800Mhz band .

Again , thanks a lot for all those answers guys , I'm an absolute noob in the area of wireless and those informations are quite hard to find !

Cheers