With Oden On Our Side - Hands on!

Forlornson

I <3 WOOOS!
Jun 23, 2006
Netherlands
www.pathway.nl
Yeah! I got a promo! :D And I want to share this will all of you - I could post the mp3s online, but I wont, because I encourage you all to support this great band!

Anyway, I wrote a Dutch review for my metal e-zine HERE. Let me translate it to english for you;

Amon Amarth is mostly known to the mainstream metalhead as quite listenable deathmetal - mostly because of "Versus The World". But, Amon Amarth is returning to their roots, more black metal influences. And it fucking rules!

Though the first track "Valhall Awaits Me" kinda sounds boring in the beginning, it transforms into a beautiful heavy song with a bunch great sing-along pieces. "Runes To My Memory", which most of you already know, has somewhat more aggression in it, but also the strong emotion is still their, which gives me goosebumps. Though we hear the real transformation in the 3th track; "Asator", its faster, harder, louder and the vocals sound way more blackmetal-ish. Talking about the vocals; Holy album! What has happened to Johan?! His vocals are s&#243; much powerfull, so much better then ever!

Not to forget are the titlesong "With Oden On Our Side" and "Under The Northern Star". The first, "With Oden..", sounds delicious! Its full of power, see it as a new version of "Versus The World", but better! And for the real Heathens out there; more goosbumps on its way! This song is all about the pagan pride!
The second, "Under The Northern Star", is not be compared with anything else, its really suprising. But don't worry, its still Amon Amarth, its still the metal we all so adore. But there are higher tones and its relativly slow in tempo, but its still a fantastic song (not to speak about the freakin' awesome solo!)

PS for the real Heathens; Prepare for "Prediction Of Warfare"! Its a feast of recognition! And for all metalheads; its just one of the other over-the-top, fuckin awesome song!

Conclusion:
Amon Amarth is changing. Don't expect a Verus The World II. A own, unique style is created and hopefully followed in the future. The die hard AA-fans (which I am speaking to) which really loved "Once Sent From The Golden Hall" will get the same goosebumps and thrills down their spines, just like I did!

well, the promo is all over the net now. This happens to every major metal release I'm afraid. The question now is whether i got enough dicipline to wait for the retail or not....

I'd love to have it right now, but I'll wait. I will appreciate it a lot more that way. (As with any present or surprise).

lucky999 said:
where do you get a promo?

damn i wish it would be released now
I got it through one of the many promotion labels I am signed up to (because my e-zine)
And yes, it is all over the net already (not through my cause though). Even though I have a legal copy, I am still gonna buy the actual album.

MY IMPRESSIONS (please note, these are impressions off of the 2nd or 3rd listen of each song. opinions change. im sure my favs now will be my most disliked and my most disliked will be my favs soon enough. it happens to everyone.):

Valhall Awaits Me:
The opener. This is an OK track. Defenitely not one of their best tracks, or even openers for that matter. An Ancient Sign of......is better than this imo. Constant pacing for the whole song.

Runes to my Memory:
This is one of my faves off the album. Of course you can hear it right now if you wanted to from the AA player on their site. It has a nice melody that goes throughout the whole song. Won't bother saying anything more since youve all heard it.

Asator:
FAST. Has a great chorus in which Johan keeps yelling "FIREEEE!" (I think). Great solo. One of the midsection pieces is nice and melodic.

Hermod's Ride to Hel:
A rather slow song. BEAUTIFULLY melodic intro/song. Don't really know what else to say. Another one of my fave songs off the album.

Gods of War Arise:
Great track, melodic riffing throughout. One part later on in the song slows everything right down for a few seconds before kicking back into gear. It'll be one of those moments like on Masters of War live when they get the crowd to pump their fists to the beat. Yeah. Like that. Fade out outro.

WOOOS:
Nice intro, it's bound to be a croud pleaser live.

Cry of the Blackbirds:
You've all heard this one

Under the Northern Star:
One of my favourite songs on the album, if not, THE song. I was ALWAYS a fan of AA's slow songs. Arson, and such. LOVE them. This song is like that. Even slower than Hermod's, Johans voice seems to be even grizzlier here in this song than any other one. great solo. This is the "lighter-in-the-air" song for AA song, so to speak. Its great though, because you can still headbang to it. REALLY like this one.

Prediction of Warfare:
This song reminds me of Puff the Magic Dragon for some reason. :S
I'm not too much of a fan of this one, it's your average closer imo. Riffing stays the same throughout.

I too have been listening to the new CD and all I can say is that is is great. The opening track might be a little weak as mentioned by someone else, but it's still great and sounds more like how I remember AA sounding when I first heard them. Maybe I will post a small review of the CD like some other people did when I get a chance. by the way I'm new on here and my name is Cory so.....Hi!

coryses said:
I too have been listening to the new CD and all I can say is that is is great. The opening track might be a little weak as mentioned by someone else, but it's still great and sounds more like how I remember AA sounding when I first heard them. Maybe I will post a small review of the CD like some other people did when I get a chance. by the way I'm new on here and my name is Cory so.....Hi!
Hi!

Well, as I said, the opener sounds a little weak in the beginning, but the chorus has some réally nice tones and vocals!

Hi folks. Been hanging out for this album, couldn't resist... here's my thoughts.

I guess only discovering AA with Fate of Norns puts me in a funny position - Fate of Norns has been the standout album for me. While I still find Versus The World exceptional, I felt a little more atmosphere, soul, and variety in Fate of Norns - massive rythmic war drums, songs of agressive lament, spring and war. This album so far seems a more 'heat of battle / war' focused album, with perhaps a little less variety in sound / tone. Thus it's slight step back for me, though still excellent.

Johan's vocals have always been a standout for me with his agression and power, without generally resorting to (what sounds to me) more 'contrived' metal vocal styles... ie the bm-ish grunting / intentional over distortion. So again it's a little step back in this regard.

But still - Amon Amarth are brilliant, it's a top notch album, the chosen direction just doesn't suit me as fantastically as FoN, which no doubt puts me at odds with most in here

Valhall Awaits Me, With Oden On Our Side, Cry of the Black Birds, and Prediction of Warfare are my standouts so far. Under the Northern Star is the only one I can't really get into, I just don't find the slower BM vocals as suited to the atmosphere...

it's awesome like all AA albums...The band showed us they'll never fade away.. This album is mostly johan's work , i think... Lyrics and vocals are extremely kick ass whilst solos were diminished comparing the other albums...This feature distinguishes album from those in race of sweep picking...we already aware the fact they can do this well but they present us melody...This is where AA differs and why rulez....

The opener has grown on me. I seriously think this is their best album since Once Sent.. Yes, it probably beats out Verses The World for me. There's not one song on this album that I dont like.

It's grown on me pretty strongly now ;)
Has the 2 most memorable vocal lines for me: Valhall Awaits Me - "...Sword in my hand, axe on my side!" and WOOOS - "Under a winter sky, we stand glorious, and with Odin on our side we are victorious!"

Every time I hear the 2nd one I can't get it out of my head... would have been perfect for a bit more repetition throughout imho :)

Maggot9 said:
Under the Northern Star:
One of my favourite songs on the album, if not, THE song. I was ALWAYS a fan of AA's slow songs. Arson, and such. LOVE them. This song is like that. Even slower than Hermod's, Johans voice seems to be even grizzlier here in this song than any other one. great solo. This is the "lighter-in-the-air" song for AA song, so to speak. Its great though, because you can still headbang to it. REALLY like this one.

I fully agree with nearly all your statements, but this one I sign by hand. I also love the slower songs of AA, even if I normaly hear faster music, this one rocks. As is stated in another thread, I'm still trying to tab it ;)