WOLVES IN THE THRONE ROOM, black folk metal in vein of Weakling..

Nate The Great said:
What was 10/10 in 2004? 2003?

2004: Orphaned Land's Mabool -- although it took about a year for me to realize it*. In my RC review back when it came out, I gave it an 8.5/10.

2003: Dude, do you even need to ask? :tickled: 'twas The August Engine.

* Oh seeing them perform that material live at ProgPower really helped it up a notch. I have no problem admitting that, so there's a sentimental attachment to it too. Their performance was stunning.

JayKeeley said:
2004: Orphaned Land's Mabool -- although it took about a year for me to realize it*. In my RC review back when it came out, I gave it an 8.5/10.

2003: Dude, do you even need to ask? :tickled: 'twas The August Engine.

* Oh seeing them perform that material live at ProgPower really helped it up a notch. I have no problem admitting that, so there's a sentimental attachment to it too. Their performance was stunning.

You're just giving a 10/10 based on how much you like the album. I think a 10/10 should be reserved for an album that you think will have a profound impact on metal as a whole. For example, Neurosis 'Through Silver In Blood' was probably the album that started the whole Neurosis/Isis/Cult of Luna movement. I'd say it deserves 10/10.

No offense, but Orphaned Land and The Hammers aren't going to leave a mark on metal.

The only recent album that I think is going to leave a mark might be Isis 'Oceanic'. But that was 2002, I think.

Nate The Great said:
You're just giving a 10/10 based on how much you like the album.

Yeah, pretty much.

I think a 10/10 should be reserved for an album that you think will have a profound impact on metal as a whole.

Well, maybe, but not for me on a personal level. There has to be some element of personal enjoyment / attachment /emotion that goes along it, and that's always going to bump the score up.

No offense, but Orphaned Land and The Hammers aren't going to leave a mark on metal.

Yeah, but that's why I said *IMO*, although Hammers do transcend genres and so it's difficult to pinpoint their style, but I like that. If you can't pigeonhole a band then it probably means they're pushing the envelope in some way.

The only recent album that I think is going to leave a mark might be Isis 'Oceanic'. But that was 2002, I think.

Yeah, maybe. Furthermore, if you strictly applied your logic to all albums since 1970, you'd probably only get about 15 *metal* releases worth 10/10...which I'm not necessarily arguing but it is an interesting thought nevertheless.

I'm only talking 10/10 = classic within the metal genre. But I agree that my interpretation might be a bit too strict.

I think there's a whole slew of 10/10 releases in the early through mid 90's. I'm talking about albums like Emperor 'In the Nightside Eclipse', Burzum 'Hvis Lyset Tar Oss', Mayhem, Darkthrone (several), and so on. Then you have the whole 80's shebang, which probably produced 50 or more 10/10's.

i agree about the 10/10 thing
i don't think you can really justify it until years later
which makes it pretty hard when you have a cd for a couple of weeks which you think is mind blowing

of the top of my head a 10/10 is Carcass - Necrotism
never been topped
master of puppets, reign in blood, dark side of the moon- those are 10's

Nate The Great said:
For example, Neurosis 'Through Silver In Blood' was probably the album that started the whole Neurosis/Isis/Cult of Luna movement. I'd say it deserves 10/10.

I think Neurosis were an influence well before that
but it was the floodgate opener

fuck I need to write a song called 'floodgate opener'

Hey unhinged looking foward to the discs! Also Jay still rules! I want to say to everyone that i REALLY appreciate you guys buying the discs and enjoying the music! I haven't seen the UM review yet ill try to check it out soon. BTW the band is available for interviews :) I guess i need to start posting here again often hehe!

joseph

JayKeeley said:
Good, because in total honesty, there should not be more than 10-15 albums per DECADE scoring a 10/10.

EDIT: And I only judge this based on 80's & 90's. I'm presuming the trend will continue.

I paused before reading further...

You don't think there are more than 10-15 10/10 albums from the '80s? :confused:

Nate The Great said:
I'm only talking 10/10 = classic within the metal genre. But I agree that my interpretation might be a bit too strict.

I think there's a whole slew of 10/10 releases in the early through mid 90's. I'm talking about albums like Emperor 'In the Nightside Eclipse', Burzum 'Hvis Lyset Tar Oss', Mayhem, Darkthrone (several), and so on. Then you have the whole 80's shebang, which probably produced 50 or more 10/10's.

As I progress through the thread, THIS STATEMENT I VERY MUCH AGREE WITH.

dubloth said:
Hey unhinged looking foward to the discs! Also Jay still rules! I want to say to everyone that i REALLY appreciate you guys buying the discs and enjoying the music! I haven't seen the UM review yet ill try to check it out soon. BTW the band is available for interviews :) I guess i need to start posting here again often hehe!

joseph
hey Joseph
I just wrote you a stupidly long email that only covers abour 5% of the scald content in my brain
and now I'm a bit drunk

Nate
my old grindcrust band TVP
already has a song I could dedicate to you
heres the lyrics>

BOTTLES 'O' COIDER

Bottles o' coider
dirty old daughter
combine harvester
tractor

maybe I should post an mp3? :loco:
edit-
actually the main vocal on that was done by scottish phil from OI Polloi you know

unhinged said:
hey Joseph
I just wrote you a stupidly long email that only covers abour 5% of the scald content in my brain
and now I'm a bit drunk

Nate
my old grindcrust band TVP
already has a song I could dedicate to you
heres the lyrics>

BOTTLES 'O' COIDER

Bottles o' coider
dirty old daughter
combine harvester
tractor

maybe I should post an mp3? :loco:
edit-
actually the main vocal on that was done by scottish phil from OI Polloi you know

I don't know what coider is, but I feel famous now.

Nate The Great said:
You're just giving a 10/10 based on how much you like the album. I think a 10/10 should be reserved for an album that you think will have a profound impact on metal as a whole.

I'll agree with you on OL and HOM and I do consider future impact in my ratings (as a lesser criteria because of difficulty to assess), but still think the 10 is justified on the strength of the music, exceptions should be made for albums that are too esoteric to be widely influential and aren't tied to a scene.

This thread needs to continue, because I have no doubt this release will go down in the RC Hall Of Fame (which needs a sticky thread, by the way).

I hear definite Drudkh, Burzum, In the Woods similarities, and I hear VERY little USBM in these guys. I'm going to say this band is better than Drudkh.

I'm really glad you guys like it. Just wait until you get the full cd (for those of you ordered it) I am eager for the reviews to start coming. I also have to be patient for eventual double vinyl edition.