Wondering....what is DT's stance on file sharing?

Anyone know what the deal is with those Russian download sites that sell downloads for like a buck or two an album?

Do they give the bands a cut of the loot or are they just straight up bandits?

Anyone know what the deal is with those Russian download sites that sell downloads for like a buck or two an album?

As far as I know, they take advantage of the local lack of regulation. It would be perfectly legal to sell the songs at that price in their own country, but of course by making the downloads available to everyone over the Internet they make a profit in a way that is illicit in other parts of the world. The last I heard, international law still hasn't sorted out this particular issue.

I know that mp3 of albums are sold as discs in Russia (the whole discography of a band on one cd) so it ight be the same deal over the net. Still, I doubt the band or the label get anythign from it. As far as I know, only Rob Halford is earning money on downloads that are sold over the net. In Norway it's claimed that no norwegian (metal) artist has gotten any money from any downloading company (including itunes)

I know that mp3 of albums are sold as discs in Russia (the whole discography of a band on one cd) so it ight be the same deal over the net. Still, I doubt the band or the label get anythign from it.

Probably just the original penny it cost the first Russian company to purchase a copy of the album.

As far as I know, only Rob Halford is earning money on downloads that are sold over the net.

Electric eye, in the sky
Feel my stare, always there
There's nothing you can do about it.
Develop and expose
I feed upon your every thought
And so my power grows.

There's a Russian website, that gives you links to free downloads when you search for something.

You don't pay for anything, they don't host anything, they provide search capabilities.

Of course, I'm not posting a link to it, but y'all may already know it.

I know that mp3 of albums are sold as discs in Russia (the whole discography of a band on one cd) so it ight be the same deal over the net. Still, I doubt the band or the label get anythign from it.

I'd be VERY surprised if the band, label or publisher sees any [SIZE=-1]$[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]$[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]$ [/SIZE]from this. As far as I've read (haven't researched it that much), the legal situation is muddy, so until it has been proven in a Russian court that these companies are breaking the law, they'll continue.

In Norway it's claimed that no norwegian (metal) artist has gotten any money from any downloading company (including itunes)
I don't know much about this either, but Itunes operate in a legit way, so I'm sure that some cents eventually will end up in the pockets of the rightful owners. Mind you, this kind of money goes though different instances and collection agencies in different countries, so it usually takes some years before things happen and Itunes haven't been around for that long.

I'd be VERY surprised if the band, label or publisher sees any [SIZE=-1]$[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]$[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]$ [/SIZE]from this. As far as I've read (haven't researched it that much), the legal situation is muddy, so until it has been proven in a Russian court that these companies are breaking the law, they'll continue.

I don't know much about this either, but Itunes operate in a legit way, so I'm sure that some cents eventually will end up in the pockets of the rightful owners. Mind you, this kind of money goes though different instances and collection agencies in different countries, so it usually takes some years before things happen and Itunes haven't been around for that long.

Yes, I think the labels get some money, but I've heard that there's no excisting royalty account for metal distributed as downloads for the bands, so a lot of bands get ripped of there.
But I guess it's more of a problem for smaler bands.
Heck, even I got a offer to sell my music as downloads a long time ago. I told him to selfcopulate, as I wouldn't receive money, but credit to buy other downloads on the same site.