Worcester, MA Show 8/9/07

ebeyrent

NH Symphony X fanatic
Dec 8, 2005
www.pigeffer.com
Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but this show was terrible. It's not SX's fault - it's the venue.

This show was at the Worcester Palladium, which apparently is run by idiots. The sounds was unbelievably horrible - they just kept turning it up and up. The sound was distorted and the speakers were actually crackling.

Even worse than the sound was the lack of security and crowd control. It was impossible to enjoy the show because there were several people doing everything they could to hurt themselves and others. I was right at the stage and kept getting crushed against the railings by the crowd. When I finally managed to get out of that mess towards the back of the floor, I had to deal with people throwing themselves and each other around the place. I couldn't even watch the band play because I was afraid I was going to get knocked over.

The only option was to move all the way to the back of the hall to enjoy a crappy view and terrible sound.

Considering how long it's been since I last saw Symphony X, I was incredibly disappointed. This was by far the worst show I have ever seen.

Again, not the fault of Symphony X - I would have loved to actually hear the music they were playing... :mad:

I was at the show and the sounds was HORRIBLE! :heh:
Romeo's guitar was way too loud and Russell's vocals were so lost in the mix.

The sound quality was so much better when they opened for Blind Guardian at the Palladium a few years ago.

They said they would be back in late winter, I think I may skip it if it is going to be the Palladium again.

Unfortunately, the clubs in Boston aren't hosting acts like this. This is one of the few places where metal acts still draw a crowd. I don't think SymX is big enough to sell out the Orpheum, which is one of the few places still taking really heavy acts.

I was there. I was standing stage right, right at the top of the stairs leading to the floor.

It was WAY too loud (and distorted, etc...) and yes, that was very disappointing, but since it was my first time seeing Symphony X I still enjoyed immensely.

I was at the show and the sounds was HORRIBLE! :heh:
Romeo's guitar was way too loud and Russell's vocals were so lost in the mix.

The sound quality was so much better when they opened for Blind Guardian at the Palladium a few years ago.

They said they would be back in late winter, I think I may skip it if it is going to be the Palladium again.

Unfortunately, the clubs in Boston aren't hosting acts like this. This is one of the few places where metal acts still draw a crowd. I don't think SymX is big enough to sell out the Orpheum, which is one of the few places still taking really heavy acts.

Amen.

Much worse than last time with BG. I wish the Palladium would have better sound quality... :Smug:

Good show overall

It's awful that this is the only venue that promotes bands like Symphony X. I cannot understand how the Palladium gets all the best bands to play there. Nighwish and Sonata Arctica are playing there in the next few months, and I will definitely not be going to see them because the Palladium sucks so bad.

I have seen so many bands there and have never had a good experience, but this one was the worst by far. I will never go there again.

My only hope is that Symphony X plays other venues in the Boston/southern NH area, or that they finally release a live DVD.

I honestly thought the show was great at the Palladium. I wanted to shoot the guy screaming TITS, TITS!! at the echoes of eternity singer at every possible chance he got. Guys like that just give us a bad name. Anyway, I was in vacation in maine and my girlfriend and I did the 3 and a half hour drive to see them and thought it was well worth it, much better than Jaxx in VA which is where i see everyone since I live there. I thought the band was mixed pretty well and I could hear most of the solos (Some of Pinella's were drowned) because they raised the volume when solo time came around. I liked the venue probably because I'm used to Jaxx and I found a free parking space like 2 blocks away even when I arrived late. The venue seemed professional and everyone started on time. Russell's vocals were really good, I was very impressed because he didn't hold back very much. The only gripe I had was the echo because of the building and the moshers. However, after being to a few death and grindcore fests within the past year in small clubs like Jaxx and Sonar in baltimore I wasn't too worried about my kidneys (even though I weigh like 115 and am 20...) I saw a guy break his ankle on the left side during sanctity, stupid ass missed the rest of the show but according to the rest of you I guess that wasn't a big loss.

I honestly thought the show was great at the Palladium. I wanted to shoot the guy screaming TITS, TITS!! at the echoes of eternity singer at every possible chance he got. Guys like that just give us a bad name.

dude, i was actually screaming that at your girlfriend, not the echoes singer.

Now that I think about it, even with the sound being not-so-great, this show has been one of my favorites.

I flat out stopped going to the Palladium due to the sound being so unbelievably bad. If I don't know a song being performed I can hardly even discern what is going on. Sometimes if you are RIGHT up front you can be okay because you hear the actual amps more than the PA, but that's gonna wreck the vocals some. I have simply started driving to nearby venues (in CT or RI usually) because no matter what the band it's just not worth it to deal with the sound like that.

I'm really glad that I'm not the only one who hates the Palladium so much. What truly sucks is that it takes me 2 hours to get there from where I live in NH - I guess I'll have to follow your lead and start going further south.

What venues are good in CT and RI?

As much as I have complained about this show, I would like to mention that the lighting aspect of the show was fantastic - absolutely spectacular.:headbang:

It all depends where you stand there. I thought the sound was great at that show.... much improved over the two previous shows Ive seen on this tour. I was on the first tier, just behind the general pit.

I'm hoping that Symphony X will play Lupo's in RI if they do a second leg. I've only been there once but I remember it being real nice.

I'm glad I went, as it was a cool experience (it was pretty much my first time going to any concert at all, not counting classical and other "polite" sorts of concerts). But it was definitely too loud for me to really want to do again any time soon. And because it was so loud, all of the sound ran together a bit, so to speak, and lost a lot of the subtlety I enjoy so much when listening through headphones or on a stereo.