Words to Ponder.

The Winnipeg Warrior

The Winnipeg Warrior ®
I received this in an e-mail today. Tell me what you think. Because I know that I will!

During this special time of year let’s take a moment and count our blessings.

If you have food in the refrigerator, clothes on your back, a roof over your head and a place to sleep--- you are richer than 75 per cent of this world.

If you have money in the bank, in your wallet and spare change in a dish--- you are among the top 8 per cent of the worlds wealthy.

If you woke up this morning with more health than illness---you are more blessed than the million who will not survive this week.

If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the loneliness of imprisonment, the agony of torture or the pangs of starvation---you are ahead of 500 million people in the world.

If you can read this message you are more blessed than over two billion people in the world who cannot read at all.

If you hold up your head with a smile on your face and are truly thankful---you are blessed because the majority can but most do not.

Commentary:

Words that truely hit home.....especially at this time of year with the nonsense of retail anxiety. And while we over here worry about....."the paper is late again"....."my coffee is cold"....."I'm going to be late for work"....."I'm out of lipstick.....dammit!"....."those bloody weeds are back again"......"when will it stop snowing"....."drive faster, you idiot. I'm late for a meeting!".....and....."does that SUV come with tinted windows and a CD player?".....another Third World person (adult or child.....no matter) has just gasped their last breath. I don't know about you. But IMO, the whole world needs to take their collective heads out of their arses and have a reality check.

Peace everyone.

I dont know, somehow having so many things, is not spiritually or intellectually fulfilling. Besides disease and war (which are still present in our first world--2,100 dead in Iraq, and numerous deaths by disease), having a computer, money, clothes and a nice suburban house, satisfies only ones basic material needs, and has no effect on ones happiness, virtue, and contentedness.

Furthermore, it is my belief, when one faces great suffering and want, I think one not only appreciates life, but becomes stronger. If your email was correct in its assumptions--that material wealth brings happiness, contentedness, virtue--then our suburban white bread lives would not be as filled with drugs, divorce, lack of meaning, violence, isolation, and ignorance as they are now.

I think what it's trying to say is that those of us who.....at the very least.....have a job, a home, food on the table, clean clothes on our back, and some money in the bank (not rich but fortunate and blessed) have it pretty good. Much better than the average.

Anyway, that's the way that I read it. I live in a city where the worst that can happen weather-wise, is to have temperatures that plummet to -40Celsius (-40Farenheit) a few days a year. Not a huge problem when you see the natural disasters in other parts of the world. But to the majority of us here, this is a nightmare. Some perspective is needed, I think.

IMO, I just feel that as a citizen of the world, it's my job to elighten myself to the rest of the world's problems. I need to educate myself about the politics and strife and sufferings.....that's what keep me humble and aware. I can't solve everyone's ailments.....I try to help where and when I can. Especially the problems here in Winnipeg. As I'm sure most people do when they donate locally wherever they live. Because inspite of the plight of the world, we have our own problems right here in our neighborhoods. So, recognizing that and fighting these issues on the homefront is the first step.

I used to feel guilty about where I was born and the blessings that I have.....being born in North America and not having to ever worry about drinking clean water or being able to have an education, the access to healthcare, or the opportunity to have a job and have a life. And then some poor shmoe.....who was raised in Africa or Latin America.....has no opportunities period. Because as down and out as you are here, there's still a food bank or a Salvation Army just around the corner with a hot meal and a warm bed for the night. Still further ahead than this poor shmoe. Sure makes you think, doesn't it?

Bringing light into the darkness!

The Winnipeg Warrior said:
.....another Third World person (adult or child.....no matter) has just gasped their last breath.

Good. We're overpopulated. Death to the less fit, in third world or first world, is a joyous occasion. Merry Deathmas!

I must say that did move me. It's no wonder we become so bitter in our own little worlds .. we often cloud over the bigger picture with useless superficialities, and pure ego-based living.

I think I may have *another* New Years Resolution.. :|