Would you accept re-done vocals on self titled Theocracy album?

If you're going to go through trouble to create a better version why do a half-assed job?

I don't do anything half-assed.

Maybe you should set up a poll whether or not the drums sound "bad" to the general public. Ask MetalAges to set it up so more people could vote (and add a little sample track of 30 seconds from the first album so the people know what they're judging).

I don't need to set up a poll. I lived through the initial cycle of the album. It was very well-received, but the drum machine was constantly brought up as a negative (understandably so).

I never implied you did anything half-assed, what I said was that the same people wishing to hear the remade first album would appreciate new guitars and vocals as well as new drums.

And if you were to redo the drums it's only a matter of time when people start asking when are you going to do the 3rd remake with these and thats.

Why not wait til you are situated nicely and can afford to waste some sleep and not think of that now when you've barely scratched the surface of your potential (the whole band).

Nah Seastorm, I'm right there with you. I totally get it, and that's why I brought that point up in the interview. Plus, to be honest, the thought of putting that kind of work into something I've already done once just fills me with dread. Each Theocracy album has literally made me physically sick; I don't sleep, I work around the clock, and if I'm not working, I'm obsessing over it in my mind. It's difficult enough to get motivated to go through that again with new projects, much less old ones, you know? Even just recording real drums and remixing it is going to be so much work that I don't even want to think about it.

We have to do something soon, because it's totally out of print and people are constantly asking for it. But I think a remix with real drums is as much as I'll want to do. Although I do like the idea of maybe picking a couple of tracks and recording full-band, up-to-date versions of those as extra tracks or something. We shall see.

Ay man, sorry for making it seem like i'm trying to throw more work your way. It's just after I read the interview and read you'd like to do more than the mixing and drums cause felt you could do it better but didn't want to change too much cause of what people would say made me go, "Hey, if you want to, don't stop on our account! We'd probably embrace it." lol.

Plus, to be honest, the thought of putting that kind of work into something I've already done once just fills me with dread.

That part made me crack up. You probably got a little dizzy and knotted stomach just reading the thread title :ill: hahah.

Just to say, for a one man album, it's pretty amazing as is. Unheard of for me. If more original copies were made, i'm sure we'd be happy. Shoot, I was looking for one too along with all the others.

Looking foward to whatever you decide to do with it man! Thanks for re-releasing it sometime in the future and sorry again for creating the mayhem. Maybe you might get an idea or something from it though eh? Meaning more work lol :D

Being a drummer myself, I'd like to hear it re-released with Shawn's drumming added. If anything, the drum machine was the downer of the self-titled disc (which I do have and will not part with); although it was very well done. One can just tell, though, that it's a machine. It was ok at the time, though, since that's just where Matt was at that point.

Everything else was fine, to me.

Yeah, definitely new drums would be enough, and a little remix too (the sound of the guitars was not powerfull enough I think because of their volume).
But after re-listening to the self titled, I don't think it needs new vocals : as I said before I don't know why but I don't think the new vocals would fit to this album (plus it's a lot of work !), maybe because I'm too used to the "old" ones on that album.

I don't know for you guys but even if Matt's voice on the self titled didn't sound as powerfull as now, it had something more, and I really don't know what, but it makes the songs beautiful. I really can't tell what it is... but it brings a lot of emotion !

And BTW, did some of you try to speed up the songs a little (1.20x) on audacity ? Some passages/riffs sound really more awesome once sped up :D

Another thing I don't like is in The Serpent's Kiss when the preacher speaks. I feel like that section is too long and not interesting enough... which is a shame, because the rest of the song is one of THE best Theocracy songs, even to this day.

No, no, no, no. I truly hope that stays as it is. I really liked the speaking portion of that song. I think it fit perfectly.

I hope not, because the artwork is brilliant! When I wear my shirt with the album cover on the front, I have people stop me and ask me about the band just because the artwork is so cool.

Agreed. The cover is fantastic.

Honestly, you people have no taste in music. You know what the first album ACTUALLY needs?

More cowbell.

Not more cowbell ...... more BOOM-CHICK!

Um....anyway, I'm happy with leaving the vocals the way they are. Yeah, Matt's come a long way since then, we all know that, but I still enjoy the singing on the S/T. While it's nowhere nowhere near as polished as MOS or ATWB, Matt sings with a lot of heart here. There's a genuine passion for the messages these songs deliver that makes up for the rough edges. Or at least, that's how it is for me.

So I'm fine with just recording some real drums.

There's only a couple of places on the S/T where the drum machine bugs me - and I used to do some drumming - but more cowbell would be sweet!

I had noticed some suspect vocal pitch, but the songs are all so good that I really don't mind.

I love the album artwork too, but was wondering if there would be a slight change to distinguish it from the original version, like the band name in white?

As always, we love you Matt and have a huge respect for your work. God bless!!

Yes, just recording drums will be enough for 99% people. But I assume this means at least a slight remix (not a re-recording) to go with that, because the new drumming might not fit the old mixing. Just don't kill yourself over it, Matt! :D

I also dig the idea of a crazier re-adaptation of a couple of songs as bonus tracks in the future.

Maybe it's just cause i'm more used to the new vocals sound because the MoS album is what I was first exposed to a few moths ago. And it's just so different from that vocally. The harmonies on the self titled sound epic to me like the other two albums, but it's just something about them solo vocal parts. But the more I hear it, the more it grows on me and can see how it could sound weird with changed vocals. Everything else sounded fine to me, but the vocals were just weird to get used to cause it was sung in a lower tone (or something) and something else I just can't put my finger on.

I had a really strange dream this morning in which I had the original self-titled disc, but mine was a limited edition 5-disc version, lol.... it had the album, then demo versions, a making-of DVD, and a couple other discs that were unknown. Weird dream. Pretty cool, though.

I had a dream where I had a can non-alcoholic beer in my hand and I had no idea what to do with it since the particular brand I had tasted like deep-fried urine.
Sorry to digress but I just had to share that awful experience.

I had a really strange dream this morning in which I had the original self-titled disc, but mine was a limited edition 5-disc version, lol.... it had the album, then demo versions, a making-of DVD, and a couple other discs that were unknown. Weird dream. Pretty cool, though.

There are only about seven of these in existence. One of which I use to prop up one end of a table.

Heh heh, after living through Matt working on three albums now, I can honestly say that *I* don't want Matt to do any more than he already plans to do with reworking the first album.

And it's too bad we don't have any kind of footage (no video camera) from that era... it would have probably been kind of shocking, but interesting, to most fans!

Matt has *always* wanted real drums on the album -- basically from the moment Shawn joined he'd wanted to have another stab at it. I'm so glad he's going to get the chance, and it will be more widely available for people who haven't been able to get their hands on a copy.

I would like to see the same artwork but perhaps a few extra pages in the book that cover what's happened since the original release, along with something slightly different on the spine and/or back (not the front! Don't mess with the front!!) that distinguishes it from the original, for those who will have both in their collections.

First song I ever heard by Theocracy was Mountain. From there I eventually went on to listen to the entire first album, then the second, and I've been a fan ever since. I was absolutely shocked when I discovered that the debut was done 100% by one man. (Wow... that time was a long time ago, too.)

Truth be told, the only thing that's really stood out to me as a downside on the album is the vocals. They sound very drowned out by the instruments. I didn't notice anything wrong with the drums at all.

I actually didn't care about the drums in the beginning, but then again I was generally new to Metal at the time. Now they are generally ok, but they do bother me at some places.

I think the drums are the most underrated instrument of metal. They do a much greater impact on the music than people think.

May I have a couple of words...
Me as a Drummer (not a master but play some Sundays on the church...) the Drumms thing will be excelent! it isn´t too bad at all but always a Drum machine have no "soul and kindness", some small fix on the art (not to much... It is excelent!!!) will make us happyer!!! and the Matt´s Idea of any bonus track (don´t sweat to much, just one song will do GREAT!!!!) will be "like Heaven!!!"
Those are my couples of words... as a Fan!!!!!

BTW: save a copy to me!!!!!!!!

As someone who has been a fan of Theocracy since around 2005 (maybe even 04?), I have to say that Theocracy has come a long way as a project and the talent level has continued to progressively improve with every album. With every album Theocracy releases I am continually blown away by the level of talent and skill and craftsmanship which goes into them. With this in mind, I feel safe to trust the artistic vision of this upcoming project to the man who wrote the album in the first place! For those who have heard the original Christmas medley, I imagine listening to the updated version of the new Theocracy album will be like comparing the 2011 version of the Christmas medley to the one which featured the drum machine and pre-Mirror era production.

Seriously, the production on Mirror of Souls and now As the World Bleeds absolutely blow the self titled album out of the water and I have every confidence that when Matt and the gang freshen the album up, it'll be everything we would hope it could be.

So Theocracy, I'm looking forward it it, you guys always do a fantastic job and I support and appreciate your artistic vision! Can't wait to hear what you guys come up with. Thanks for all your hard work!