Would you accept re-done vocals on self titled Theocracy album?

I've never had any problem with the first album. In fact, I think it's perfect as it is. It sounding different from the other albums adds character. Real drums and re-mixing might be really good but the thought of them becoming too much like AtWB makes me cringe. :ill:

Its like Reinxeed in 1912- mixing changed a lot, but theyre still great. If they did that sound with previous albums it wouldnt be the same though

I'm hoping for some remixing and remastering, production is usually a good thing.

Ayo, after listening/watching the Choir thing Matt has posted on youtube. I'm sorry I even brought this up lol. That's a TON of work you do on them harmonies man.

It's way more than just re-singing the songs. I'd also rather you do new stuff if you were going to do stuff vocally in the studio like others have said.

Like Killerah said,
I have every confidence that when Matt and the gang freshen the album up, it'll be everything we would hope it could be.

So Theocracy, I'm looking forward it it, you guys always do a fantastic job and I support and appreciate your artistic vision! Can't wait to hear what you guys come up with. Thanks for all your hard work!

Just wanted to say that. And thanks for re-releasing it. Getting one for my nephew too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got the 1st CD and I like it quite a bit, but mostly because it was a stepping stone to the awesomeness of Mirror of Souls. I speak in terms of production only. The lyrics and melodies are incredible. But Matt's vocals aren't nearly as polished or powerful. The guitar work, while masterful, misses the extra crunch and solo work that maybe Val could now provide? I dunno, I would hate to offend Matt or any of the band members. But I'd love to see the CD completely remastered, reproduced, etc. Honestly, it would be like getting a 4th Theocracy CD. Of course, as an author, I also know that once a project is out there, it's really really hard to go back to it. It feels "over," and you're anxious to get to the next thing. If Theocracy does it, HOORAY! More new music (even if it's a new version of old stuff). If not, I'll just have to live with all the amazing new stuff Theocracy puts out. WIN/WIN

Since Matt doesn't do anything half-assed as he's already mentioned in another thread, If I remember well, I guess that re-recording vocals would take him a lot of time and effort. But he has evolved a lot since the 1st album, so that it would be interesting to hear!

I wonder: it would be interesting to see when people first heard the debut album and how that affects their opinion. I would posit that those of us who fell in love with Theocracy while the debut was the only album available (2003-2008) typically don't want vocal changes now, and those who came on board with Mos or ATWB and went backwards to the debut typically do want vocal (or more) changes.

I've had a bit of a change of heart. The long-time diehard fan in me still doesn't want to see any vocal changes. However, as I've been reading many, many fans' comments through my role of moderating these forums and Myspace and, more recently, Facebook and Twitter, I am really being overwhelmed by how many of the fans came to the band during MOS or ATWB. If I had to make a guess, I'd say that's 90+% of the fanbase.

As such, the fan in me that wants to see the band "make it" is realizing that, if the band and label decide that re-recorded vocals would be worth the work in terms of more albums sold or more fans gained, then it's worth it, even at the expense of annoying us in the 10%. Heck, we can always not listen to the new one it if we just want to hear the vocals we are used to!

I don't get why there is still a discussion of what we would rather see? Theocracy isn't really a democracy, its... well... a theocracy! With the band itself being "god" in this scenario. It seems like the guys have already decided what they want to do with their time and music. Us discussing whether we are OK with it has no bearing (and shouldn't) on what they are actually going to do because it is THEIR band and their music. If I were in Matt's shoes I would be pretty annoyed if a group of my fans collected to complain about how my plans for remastering an old album weren't good enough for them. Personally, I'm glad that they decided to share what they are planning next and I'm looking forward to it.

^ If they weren't about pleasing the fans, they might as well not be a band, so I kinda disagree. Of course there are a lot of factors that come into producing an album. One is doing what you are passionate about. But one of them is certainly trying to give the fans what they want, too. So it is probably helpful to Theocracy to know what their fans really would look forward too and be excited about.

And whatever Matt does, he obviously is going to put a whole lot of work into it anyway--that's why it's so good. So there is nothing wrong with people saying that their dream for Theocracy would be something that would take a lot of work.

I personally kinda agree with both Killerah and Jayarby. It's the passion for music that makes you start a band and play the music you like. It's your vision, your expectations and everything, on the other hand when this music appeals to some or more people then you might start considering what the fan woulds also like. Guess it's not just black and white, just shades of grey! So let's say I'm somewhere in between both opinions!

In my opinion, for it to really work, he should redo everything. He's come so far as a producer, you know? While I love the two recent albums, I think the catchiest songs Matt's ever done are on the debut (I'm a sucker for a great hook). "Mountain" remains my favorite Theocracy song.

So yeah, I'd love to hear that album up to the standard of the latest. And then maybe Matt can fix some of the less-than-great things on the debut—the pre-chorus of "Theocracy" is a bit awkward, for instance. And while the drum machine sounds great (most couldn't even pick out that it's a machine), it'll be good to hear a more natural, "human" sound. A little more personality, you know.

if the band and label decide that re-recorded vocals would be worth the work in terms of more albums sold or more fans gained, then it's worth it, even at the expense of annoying us in the 10%.

Here I was, all ready to block quote your earlier post verbatim, and say, "Yeah, me too!" Oh, well, it sure is lonely on this island :Spin:.

Maybe I'll join you on the next boat...maybe.

It'd be a great idea they bring to us a double CD with the original Theocracy Remastered album and a new re edited theocracy album, even with live tracks.
:yow:

I agree with jimboroso. As a new fan of Theocracy, I would love to buy a double CD... one that is the untouched original (it is an amazing one-man-band feat) and one that is the new version (and I will gladly accept whatever changes Matt is willing to do... even up to a full re-record a la Manowar's first album).