Wow, DT just blew me away.

Dream Theater are amazing with James. But i believe they would be way better if they had that Ark singer !! he's just fucking awesome.

His name is Jorn Lande. That guy destroys, he is such an excellent singer that stomps on LaBrie so hard it's not even worth comparing them..

LMAO

about 3:39 of that video.

Although i dont see how you could hate Dream theatre and like Porcupine tree.
The main reason i dont listen to PT is because of SW voice.
Kinda same reason most people dont listen/like DT.

LMAO

about 3:39 of that video.

Although i dont see how you could hate Dream theatre and like Porcupine tree.
The main reason i dont listen to PT is because of SW voice.
Kinda same reason most people dont listen/like DT.

Actually, the main reason I've found people don't like DT for is overplaying/wankery. Which nobody does in PT, Portnoy just wishes he had the good taste and flair that Harrison has ;)

^I think Portnoy has a lot of flair, none of it is used well because of his bad taste, as you accurately remarked.

I don't think LaBrie's voice is that appealing but yea, I dislike Dream Theater much more for being boring songwriters. In fact I dislike their songwriting more than their wanking. Most bad bands just fail to hook you. Dream Theater is an absolute tragedy in that they have a shitload of hooks but have to ruin it every time by a follow up of 10 minutes of extra pointless meandering. I think some of their songs, especially those in the AA sequence like Root of All Evil and This Dying Soul, would be fucking badass if they cut out about half the junk.

Also, most of their ballads are pure hot steaming lots of shit; I'd rather go and listen to Fucking Elton John's cursi songs instead;

Their first shitty ballad I had to deal with was "another day" after Pull me Under; That's just mean -if nothing else harsher-
how come they put a fucking lousy ballad after one of their mostest badass songs ever!

It was the same thing with "innocence faded"....Nooo.....what an awful song.....the ending is pretty good, but....come on
were you smelling your girlfriend's underwear when it came to your minds?

despite that, Falling into infinity's ballads are their least lousy effort.

I don't think LaBrie's voice is that appealing but yea, I dislike Dream Theater much more for being boring songwriters. In fact I dislike their songwriting more than their wanking. Most bad bands just fail to hook you. Dream Theater is an absolute tragedy in that they have a shitload of hooks but have to ruin it every time by a follow up of 10 minutes of extra pointless meandering. I think some of their songs, especially those in the AA sequence like Root of All Evil and This Dying Soul, would be fucking badass if they cut out about half the junk.

The very reason you hate them is the reason i like them.
I like the long drawn out proggy musical bits.
Its a bit like ELP when you think about it.

Also, most of the ballads are pure hot steaming lots of shit; I'd rather go and listen to Fucking Elton John's cursi songs instead;

I agree on that one.
Although if i listen to the ballad often enough ill most likely find bits that i like.

The very reason you hate them is the reason i like them.
I like the long drawn out proggy musical bits.
Its a bit like ELP when you think about it.

I agree on that one.
Although if i listen to the ballad often enough ill most likely find bits that i like.

Well I don't have a problem with prog in general I just think that Dream Theater's attempts aren't very memorable and thus the meandering just bores me. I could go either way with long songs; songs like Russia On Ice or Ghost of Perdition or Chaining the Katechon are all meandering without losing my interest. Dream Theater on the other hand, has never written a song over 10 minutes that kept my interest all the way through.

Actually that's not true, despite a bit of wanking, I like Stream of Consciousness all the way through.

Portnoy walked past me once, and I was shocked at how short he is.
Anyway, I think they have some good tunes, but they're not the be all end all
of prog bands...

Nah, they're boring as fuck with or without the singer. I sure would love Dream Theater if they wrote more 7 minute songs along the lines of Pull Me Under/Lie though considering their long stuff is boring and their ballads are dreadful.