Wow, DT just blew me away.

Okay very true maybe I still hate the singer subconsciously but to me what ruins most of their songs is going off on dreadfully long meandering parts and boring the hell out of you despite having just hooked you with the like one awesome riff in some song. IE This Dying Soul - I love the intro/intro solo, that lead part, the verses and choruses, but then the second half of the song fucking kills it for me. Whereas with songs that are a more traditional verse/chorus/verse/chorus + solos and cool riffs like Lie, Pull Me Under, or As I Am, are the only songs I still really enjoy. I won't deny though that it would be an improvement if you just removed vocals from most of the tracks, it just might not be enough of an improvement when they could simply cut the crap and stop the wankfests.

Um, no, without the wankfests they'd be like...a decent power metal band (as much of an oxymoron as that is)

Well it was the closest term I could find. They certainly aren't a progressive band right now. It's been the same tired pseudo-metal formula since Train of Thought.

Ok well they're prog metal according to its definition on prog archives - which essentially means they wank like Yngwie Malmsteen, but I see nothing progressive about their sound after Awake.

The DT lirycs are bad, Labrie sing Bad, The musicians are expert but they dont know how to show logic feelings, just a boring wanker fest.
The Band that rocked whit wanker music and ballads, was King Crimson....
soo talented, "Starless" is the Best example. sound very nocturnal...
like some songs of Opeth =)

The song Starless alone pretty much destroys DT's whole discography, but w/e kinda irrelevant.

Endless Sacrifice is one of the only decent/listenable DT tracks after Images & Words or Awake afaict.

lol that track is completely ruined by the pointless noodly bullshit solo that petrucci and rudess threw in. I'd have to say that in the name of god is better, except it's plagued by the same problem - yet another shitty solo by rudess and petrucci. what the fuck is up with them trying to sound like an ambulance, anyways

Endless Sacrifice is one of the only decent/listenable DT tracks after Images & Words or Awake afaict.

I don't hate it, but it goes on way too long. There are definitely some entertaining riffs through that song. I enjoyed most of that CD besides "as i am" and "in the name of god" just for the riffs, it was incredibly fun to play.The part where they play the blackened verse still makes me LOL though.

Well c'mon it's DT, of course there is that gay Tom & Jerry Keyboard part and the typical shredsweepwank afterwards but the catchy riffs are lovely and Labrie sounds more inspired than usual too.