Wow! You guys seriously kick ASS!!

Dec 26, 2005
I was looking at Michael Amott' from Arch Enemy's myspace when I came across you guys and I was like :OMG: . Amazing stuff. What gear did you guys use to record? When I get some money I will try to look into buying some stuff, great music.:headbang: .

So, what gear did you use?

Also, how long has your vocalist been doing the vocals, they are brutal.

hmmm gear...

Guitars = Jackson RR-1 w/EMG-81 in bridge (didn't use neck) for rhythm tracks. Jackson SL-2H with Seymour Duncans (stock jackson pickups) for Solo work.

Amps = ENGL Powerball and Peavey 5150 through a Mesa Standard 4x12.

Keyboard (they're sparce) is a Korg Triton LE.

Bass = Ibanez (it was Dave's don't know what model) and I couldn't tell you what the rig was...I think Dave just used a modeler of some sort

our vocalist is an 18 year old named Mike Cook. He's been doign the death metal/black metal vox since we asked him to do it one day...about 2 years ago. No practice..just a matter of doing it on a daily basis.

Yeah I am listening to one of your songs right now, and he is really good, he is unique you know. Like you can understand what he says, yet it is still very brutal and good. Amazing stuff. You guys are gonna get signed.:headbang:

Alright, whew, here we go, lol. Thanks btw.

1) I am listening to the Art of Death Infernal right now, and your vocals sound like a little distorted in a sense that, gain was added to them or something. You know? They don't sound so much as growly but more thrash growly, which i think is sick. So did you edit them in any way when recording?

2) On that song, when you do your growling, is it grunting type from the stomach, from the throat, or like a higher type scream. On the line, "hear the whispers of the wind" it sounds like you do a higher falsetto type scream but in a lower note, is that what you are doing or is it a grunt?

I am getting into practicing my vocals, and right now, they sound like the vocalist from Dark Tranquillity where the growls are sort of grumbly and bumpy in a sense, and I love how yours sound thrash and I can make out every word. Any advice as to what I should be doing every day as far as breath control and practicing sounding gainer like yours.

Also, do you get sore throats often, and if you do, when/what do you do to help it, do you just keep doing your vocals even on the sore throat?

Thanks for your time man.:headbang:

Ok, some of this is hard to express in writing, as it’s really a how your individual body works... but here goes.

1) I think there were some subtle effects added to my vocals in post processing, (such as slight reverb) however, during most of the song, there are two tracks of my vocals running on top of one another. This is an excerpt from a post Dave O. made about the vocals: “Vocals on "The Art of Death Infernal" are pretty much double tracked all the way through. First track down the center, second track duplicated to 2 tracks, paned hard L and hard R and one shifted -10ms and the other 10ms, and mixed about 5 or 6 db under the center track. Handy little trick I use all the time. Works really well with vocals and you don't run into phase problems.” That’s all I know about the recording for sure, if you need to know more, just email Dave.

2) This is the part that may become unclear, as I’m trying to explain how I feel while doing the vocals. So bear with me. As far as grunting, all of my vocals are done from the vocal chords. When going lower, for the more guttural sound, it takes tons more air for me, so it is tough to sustain for a long time w/o a breath. My throat rumbles when I do this, I can feel a vibration from the chords and lower down my body. When I do the “Hear the whispers” type rasp, I only feel vibrations from the chords up into my mouth and nasal cavity. Whenever I do any type of vocals though, I need to be well lubricated. Water and milk do very well in that regard.

For the other stuff, if you’re a singer, like in choir and stuff, it’s really a carryover to get the sounds you’re looking for. To get rid of the bumpy grumbly sound, it really depends on your breath support. You have to push air out from your stomach by tightening your diaphragm. The closest thing I can think of doing that is tensing your abdomen muscle, that’s what it should feel like whenever you’re letting air out. For the grainier sound, that is really the lubrication doing its job. If my throat is dry, I can hardly get anything to sound decent.

For that last bit, I get sore throats if I start heavy rehearsals, like leading up to the recording, we were playing 3-4 hours a day, which really got me sore quick. If I go that long without doing it for a period of time, I lose my voice completely for a couple hours. But every day you do it, you get less and less of a sore throat. Like when we’re done for the day, and I’m pretty much unable to speak, I just drink something, and don’t speak for the next hour. Then by the next day, I’m all ready to go.

Hope it all makes sense, and good luck with your vocals. :kickass:

....Goddamn, I just wrote a novel.

Dude thanks so much. Yeah by the grumbly part I meant liek if you listen to dark Tranquillity of shagrath of Dimmu, they have that grumbly type feel to it, as opposed to like Bodom where alexi sings all high pitched screaming, which I like that type of screamin, but isnt as loud as a throat rasp. That was a great response. So how you do your technique is pretty much the way I do mine I was checking, because they say like to do it from the gut, and when i do it, it doesnt sound as raspy as from the throat. So yeah it all makes sense what you are saying, even the recording part(Ill try the technique you suggested, I usually just double center). Thanks again bro. Keep it up, you are spectacular.:headbang: