WoY now on garageband.com:

First one!

Review of Your Ontario Town i.. by Woods of Ypres, Ont..
Genre: Metal

Eerie, moody, sad - great!
Really cool song. Eerie, moody, sad - great!

The mix could give it more of an edge though. Right now it feels a little crude.

Every instrument seem well played.

Nicely done!

Extra Credit: Melody, Mood.

- kroke
Lund, Sk?e, Sweden
January 3rd, 2008

:kickass:

btw - "Years of Silence (& the Private Joke)" is also now live for reviews at Garageband.

Your Ontario Town, review #2:

Cool dark & ambient song
Engaging intro...

Good production sets the tone for this moody song that really knows how to build mood & interest quickly.

The clean vocals were a little unexpected when they 1st come in, but come into their own in the chorus. I think the singer shows great promise, but I think needs to push & stretch his vocals to capitalize on the shown potential within this song.

All in all enjoyable song, creating & maintaining a dark & unique mood throughout the song. Great job guys!

- ExitStrategy

Years of Silence, review #1:

Great great great....
I really like this track. It opens up and really could go anywhere.

The vocals are really solid. I dont know if I would call this metal though.

The overall production is really good. I solid recording engineering and band preformance.

There is a bit of a creep factor in moment with the vocals in this song.

The drums have a tempo snag here and there but they are all minor. Overall the sound is tight and the drums are represented and played well.

The guitars are layered with some different sounds that breaks this song out of the norm. I do think that some of the lines are a bit buried though.

The song writing has good dynamics but everything in the song is pretty much at the same level at the same time through the whole song. They may want to let some break out and fall away in the future to help create even better dynamics.

Like I said this song is really good. I look forward to hearing these guys on the radio or on a sound track.... soon!

- MichaelZandarS
Charleston, Illinois

Years of Silence, Review #2:

This is not metal...
This BY FAR from metal song which what I am suppose to be reviewing. A little bit of distorted guitar with a tiny little scream does not constitute as metal.

Sorry guys; put your song under the proper genre & you might gain more interest.

- ExitStrategy

Haha! LOL @ #2! :kickass:

Ontario Town:

Sentenced
I was grabbed right away by the mood that was created by the intro. I am kinda reminded of Iron Maiden musically, very power metal. The lyrics that I am catching are good. The chorus cemented everything well. The driving beat is great. You guys have a sound similar to Sentenced. Keep up the great work!
- flamtapus
Casper, Wyoming

Sentenced! The influence bleeds through! :kickass:

established mood and atmosphere
The mood that is created right from the start is solemn and contemplative. I really like the tone that initially presents itself. Neat how it keeps developing as the song continues on. The strength is definitely in the mood that is created. I like how the growling vocals sound anguished in the presence of the guitar and drums in the intro. Then the singing fit so nicely into the whole mix! really enjoyable and surprising.
- rictusgrinforev
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

:)

Nice! Glad you're getting far more positive review for those two tracks. They're definitely a bit more catchy and accessible than Northern Cold (no blast beats or anything too), must be why.

"Years of Silence (& the Private Joke)" reviews...

This first one looks like it was from a guy from the Canadian band Senate, I'm willing to bet!

Melodic
Kind of a melodic somber tune.

Very hooky and memorable vocal melodies. The guitar also are pretty hooky.

I like the screaming vocals, I would have liked to hear more of that to switch up the mood of the song.

Kind of remind of a Paradise Lost style vibe.

Pretty cool track.
- Senatemetal

bravo
WOW,I am very impressed...The sound quality is decent and the song is really enigmatic....good vocals...bravo...
- soademan3
Glendale, California

Ontario Town...

Some reminiscent of....
It sounds like the beginning of an Alexisonfire tune.

Kind of a melodic hooky song.

More of a Type O Negative vibe.

It's ok for the style. The harsh vocals at the end I prefer with the melodic vocals.

Not bad.
- Senatemetal
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Melodic
very dark intro, I like it, a little bit too long before the vocals enter, this is black metal ambiance, the voclas part are very cool, very good melodic song.
- MadMart
Quebec, Canada

Years of Silence:

Nice Melody
Great melody. Sounds a little over produced for my taste. Vocals sound a little muddy in the mix.
- itis123
Menifee, California

Rock...
Are you shure it's metal....might be rock, the guitar sound is to high, more bass in it would be great, the vocal is not enough loud I think. Could be more engaging.
- MadMart
Quebec, Canada

I like it
Song is very catchy.... mood of the song is both uplifting and somber, vocals portray that very well. Guitar flows well through the song
- Excrecor
Hampton Falls, New Hampshire

Ontario Town...

Nice Voice
The whole song is very good. With all the up and downs. The intro is a little bit lame. But that lies in the eye of the betrayer! Lyrics are good understandable. Everyone of us has his good and bad times. But we will learn from them, makes us stronger to go our ways.
- SHADOWCRY

omg
good song , like the build up of this, good to build up any mood... keep up the good work
- sickofsorrow

great
very atmospheric build up, wasnt expecting the vocals to be so 'clear', thought it was going more towards death metal but was a nice suprise
- Breedaprt
Guildford, United Kingdom

Heh. I live in Guildford. I didn't realise anyone else here had any taste as far as music went.

Garageband is not a place to be listened to by metal peers, Shadar Logoth has posted tracks on their before, and the most used points of reference reviewers had were godsmack and slipknot. its pretty clear most reviewers on that site are just starting their metal journey, or are just stunted at age 13 in their musical growth.
i think we had 2 maybe 3 reviews overall that appeared to have any knowledge of metal beyond the current headbangers ball lineup, and the other positive ones just referenced old thrash acts.

Ontario Town received "Awards" during first week of reviewing:

Best Male Vocals overall, week of 7Jan2008
Best Male Vocals in Metal, week of 7Jan2008
Best Lyrics overall, week of 7Jan2008
Best Lyrics in Metal, week of 7Jan2008
Best Mood in Metal, week of 7Jan2008

'Best Male Vocals in Metal' and OVERALL, 'Best Lyrics in Metal' and OVERALL week of Jan 7, 2008??? Eat it, nay-sayers!!!

"Ontario Town" now sits at at 4.2/5 score. BADASS!!! :heh:

Years of Silence (& the Private Joke)
3.4/5 - No 'awards'.

Years of Silence:

Establishes a nice mood
Cool intro. I like the mood and overall dark feel of the song. Vocals are pretty strong. Pretty catchy choruses.

- absolutevengean
Washington D.C., Dc

hook line and sinker
i got caught right from the first second of this song. excellent chord progression, which means excellent melody. although this song is maybe in the wrong category, it doesn't feel very metal, maybe more hardrock. it's mood is hard to place, kind of breaking benjamin flavored, but on a happier note. I feel the screaming at 1:06 took away from the overall song.

- thislegacyremai
Riverside, California

Some guys want more heavy, some want less screaming. :)

Ontario Town...

nice
good feel drums n bass on point creative song writing back ups good lead voc's make the song come alive.
- Thenameless19691
Brockton, Massachusetts

crunchy
good vocals, solid guitars, and a tune that's moving forward. Kinda sets a dark mood, without being that dark.
- MoNasty
Phoenix, Arizona

hmmm
I think the intro for the song should've been shorter because the second part is really cool. It reminds me of Sentenced and Amorphis from Finland. Overall good job.
- soademan3
Glendale, California

Ontario Town is now rocking a 4.4/5 score! That's pretty high for this site, musicians critiquing musicians and all...

Years of Silence...

Interesting.
Interesting sound. A blend of doom/gothic bands with some melodic stuff. Good mood you´ve created here. Vocal melodies are nice to hear and keeps me listening it. Even though the song is a bit repetitive it´s not boring at all. Good work.

- theanc
Rio De Janeiro, Brazil

Ontario Town...

Good entrance
This Song Sounds very original The instruments are nicely mixed togethor Good combination of Clean and Growling vocals

- DJ_Schnapsidee

Nice
Big fan of the intro, it realy builds up to the powerful chorus. The lyrics are ok, they didn't really stick out to me. I really like the mood. And its very easy to get pulled into the song, if you know what i mean. I'll bet this song kicks ass live. good tune.

- stilwelangel
Elizabeth, Colorado

Still rocking a 4.4/5! :kickass:

Dear David,
Congratulations! As a result of some very enthusiastic reviews from GarageBand.com members, "Your Ontario Town is a Burial Ground" will be Track of the Day at GarageBand.com.

For 24 hours on Friday, the 18th of January, 2008 (PST) "Your Ontario Town is a Burial Ground" will be featured on GarageBand.com's Metal front page. The address for this page will be:

http://www.GarageBand.com/go/NDE3GLCFY6

Best wishes from all at GarageBand.com and keep up the great work!

Ivy
Band Services, GarageBand.com

TRACK OF THE DAY!!! :kickass: