Wreath

aestusmaris@hotmail.com said:
Deliverance is Opeth's worst album, my reasoning...Mike I remember said he makes music that invokes emotions, Deliverance doesn't invoke much emotion, wreath has a few good moments but is let down by the rest of the song, the rest of the album is much the same, for amazing songs like a fair judgement, you get by the pain i see in the others.

All other Opeth albums are much better ('cept damnation but that doesn't really count)..morningrise being the crown jewel of the opeth back catalog imo

Ok, Opeth's music invokes emotions... so? Deliverance has emotion. Its heavier than any other album by Opeth. I call that emotion.

wreath is a song that took me quite a while to get in to, it was one of those tracks that i always skipped when listening to the album.
i listen to it now all the time, but to say it has no emotion is ignorant, brutal, dark, energy it was i feel from wreath, even the title 'wreath' isnt going to inspire much joy id have thought, that acoustic break around 9:45 give it a light at the tunnel feeling i think

BlackMetal>AnyMusic said:
Yes, I love how the music sort of breaks down, and the drumming fits so well.

Oh, definitely. I love Martin's cymbal work. The way he hits the china on the offbeat works so well. I also really love the riff starting at 2:44. My favorite line from that part is definitely when Mikael says "There is no absolution..." and then Martin does that awesome cymbal fill. Man, what an awesome song.

It's probably their most plain song, at least in my opinion. That's not a negative thing really, I love the song, mostly because it feels "raw" if you know what I mean.

Mistress Bleak said:
Oh, definitely. I love Martin's cymbal work. The way he hits the china on the offbeat works so well.

This is the first thing that struck me in this song. I always do air china hits when I listen to Wreath. :D

Scarlett Letterman said:
This is the first thing that struck me in this song. I always do air china hits when I listen to Wreath. :D

Me too! "Wreath" is definitely one of my favorite Opeth songs to play on drums. "April Ethereal" is another favorite drum song of mine, but I'm not gonna turn this thread into an "April Ethereal" homage. It's about time "Wreath" gets the recognition it deserves. :-D

Ok, first off, a big "you are stupid" to the people that are still going on about n00bs and shit like that. Grow the fuck up, people. People that've registered later than you in the forum might have been Opeth fans for 30 years for all you know.

Musical taste is something completely subjective. So don't go on fighting about which album is better in your own opinion.

Secondly, I agree with Bahamut about the song being raw/minimalistic.
And I like that. I mean, I do think it gets a bit repetitive at times, but some parts of it are just really amazing and the more I listen to it the more I like it.

And what's with those people saying Deliverance isn't a good album?
And that it has no emotion? I think one has to be completely senseless not to feel the emotion in that album. From the tragic Wreath to the compelling Deliverance, to the moving and thought-evoking A Fair Judgement and For Absent Friends, to the brutal yet lyrical Master's Apprentices and the finally mystifying By The Pain I See In Others.

ps: Loving the evil and toned down part at 07:37 and the heavy riff and solo that follows it :D

Its a bit boring at times, as some of the riffs I think are repeated too much and it doesnt seem that dynamic. Although it has some amazing moments, it does not have what other opeth songs have in my mind, and the lyrics and the vocals tend to piss me off after a while.